Suppressor covers - who's and why

sacklunch

WKR
Who's suppressor cover do you like and why?

Only have put hands on Armageddon Gear's...liked the quality and the price. Just curious what others
Have tried. Cole-tac looks appealing at a higher temp rating and still under $100.

Last edited:

Montucky

WKR
Got SilencerCo cover but don’t use it. It’s heavy & I wouldn’t take it hunting. Heavy enough that I would have to zero my scope with it on can. I see mirage in my area but only when can gets hot enough that I can’t hold it…..my experience so far

• Banned
OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
None of them, it's a solution looking for a problem.
Burning your pants/leg with a suppressed AR isn't nothing.

Agree on a hunting rifle, I don't have nor want a can or cover for my bolt guns.

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
The silencerco one melted to my specwar with moderate AR usage.

Switched to a coletac high temp and it’s been great.

Generally only use it if I’m shooting high round count or groups of 5+ in summer and need to cut down on mirage. Can’t remember the last time it went hunting with me.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
Have one on my hunting setup for range trips, mostly to take it off the rifle when I'm done (pansy hands?). Mine is a Rifles Only manufactured one. Would not take hunting.

I also have the Mechanix Wear mitt thingy for my rimfire suppressors (no covers) to wrap them in before putting them back in the storage pouches I use for them. I'm leery about melting a range bag or a pouch.

ETA - I chose the Rifles Only because its made in the USA (lots are) and the length options fit my can with a little space not covered.

fatbacks

WKR
I like the cole tac covers. Agree not necessary all the time, but when shooting in the winter in Alaska it helps cut the mirage a ton.

None of them, it's a solution looking for a problem.

For a hunting rifle, maybe, but if you’re shooting long range in several round strings, they are basically a requirement due to the mirage coming off the can.

Like already stated, I also like them on my ARs if I’m running a sling, so I don’t burn myself.

I use the varmegedon one. I like it. If you doing any shooting that suppressor can heat up and cause mirage.

I actually use mine more for hunting only because I like the camo aspect. Those suppressors sure shine in the sun. They beam like a mirror flash. Whether that spooks animals or not is up to you. But I use a cover most for hunting just to get rid of that mirror flash off the end of you gun.

For a hunting rifle, maybe, but if you’re shooting long range in several round strings, they are basically a requirement due to the mirage coming off the can.
I shoot LR hunting rifles suppressed exclusively and a cover certainly isn't a basic requirement. I don't own one and it's never stopped me. Gotta get a muffler pretty hot to generate a mirage issue, maybe an issue for comps but I don't compete.

OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
I use the varmegedon one. I like it. If you doing any shooting that suppressor can heat up and cause mirage.

I actually use mine more for hunting only because I like the camo aspect. Those suppressors sure shine in the sun. They beam like a mirror flash. Whether that spooks animals or not is up to you. But I use a cover most for hunting just to get rid of that mirror flash off the end of you gun.
Even if folks aren't shooting long strings. For a $1k Ti can, I'd prefer to have it protected, same as anything else. Nothing like accidental singed gloves, pantlegs or worse fingerprints. not to mention for truck guns that may get beat around, it's just one more bit of added protection for your investment.