Suppressor covers - who's and why

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
I don't have experience but what I will say is that I made the mistake of buying a Devour one from Silencer Central (because it was convenient and the T&K one wasn't available yet). It slides around and am constantly adjusting it. Next will be buying the T&K one with the cinch chord. Their customer service is great and they put a lot of thought and consideration into developing their products (big fan of their bino harness).
Thanks brother!

khuber84

WKR
I've had pretty good luck with my two Burn Proof Gear wraps. They're a pain in the arse to take off and on, but they will never move on you. Cinch the interlocking tension cord and it is solid and stays put even on my lightweight 300norma imp.

earrow

FNG
Protects my windows when it's bouncing around in the tractor it's a devour and it will come off

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have a Tupperware full of the them from many different makers. The only real application in my experience is range use:
1) Doing AR classes and running the gun hard, then doing transitions to pistol to prevent pant/leg burn
2) bench shooting precision for mirage

I have learned from use, that all of them suck and will come loose and shift around in real world use. They add weight, more than one would think, some can be almost a 1/2 lb. I don’t use them anymore.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of the can chap. Light, doesn't move, not bulky. As expensive as these things are, and as rough as I am on stuff, it feels like cheap insurance as well as the mirage at the range or having to tighten it.

E.Shell

FNG
I have "SAS3" covers from TAB Gear and I'm very pleased with them.
https://www.tabgear.com/collections...1-sas2-sas3-sasr-suppressor-antimirage-shield

Measured my suppressors and sent them the dimensions. Fits perfectly and is of the design that slides on from the back, so it stays put and never works its way forward during shooting. Slide it on, install the can... done. If more rapid cooling is desired, the cover can be slid back down the barrel to expose the can and allow heat to dissipate.

Cover weight for a 1-3/4" x 7-3/4" can is ONE ounce.

When I was teaching marksmanship, many students brought cans with and w/o covers. We had a lot of difficulty with mirage with uncovered suppressors after a few shots. I also saw quite a few designs and had a chance to see them in action.

Having seen more than one cover damaged by muzzle blast or launched downrange after sliding forward unnoticed, I think the "slide on from the back" design is the most foolproof and practical, and eliminates the need for bulky/heavy cords/straps and/or buckles. Again, mine only weigh one ounce and are very smooth and streamlined, adding only 1/4" thickness on each side of the can.

Between eliminating reflection/glare, cutting down on noise in brush, making the can safer to handle, reducing mirage and protecting the can from minor dings, I'm not seeing a downside. When I bought rifle cans, I automatically bought TAB covers that live on the suppressors.

https://www.tabgear.com/collections...1-sas2-sas3-sasr-suppressor-antimirage-shield

Measured my suppressors and sent them the dimensions. Fits perfectly and is of the design that slides on from the back, so it stays put and never works its way forward during shooting. Slide it on, install the can... done. If more rapid cooling is desired, the cover can be slid back down the barrel to expose the can and allow heat to dissipate.

When I was teaching marksmanship, many students brought cans with and w/o covers. We had a lot of difficulty with mirage with uncovered suppressors after a few shots. I also saw quite a few designs and had a chance to see them in action.

Having seen more than one cover damaged by muzzle blast or launched downrange after sliding forward unnoticed, I think the "slide on from the back" design is the most foolproof and practical, and eliminates the need for bulky/heavy cords/straps and/or buckles. Again, mine only weigh one ounce and are very smooth and streamlined, adding only 1/4" thickness on each side of the can.

Between eliminating reflection/glare, cutting down on noise in brush, making the can safer to handle, reducing mirage and protecting the can from minor dings, I'm not seeing a downside. When I bought rifle cans, I automatically bought TAB covers that live on the suppressors.
I took a peek at these and the SAS3 with the recoil ridge sounds interesting. In your experience, will these slip over muzzle devices without issues?

E.Shell

FNG
I took a peek at these and the SAS3 with the recoil ridge sounds interesting. In your experience, will these slip over muzzle devices without issues?
I'm using mine as 'direct thread' mounting because the cans essentially live on each rifle, so I really cannot provide a direct answer.

The opening in the back is about 1" in diameter relaxed and it stretches slightly to go over a 1-1/4" prescription pill bottle pretty easily.

Hope that helps.

tdhanses

WKR

I think these look to be about the best none bulky design and really like how simplistic they are.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Out of the current crop of suppressor covers, I think the Can Chap ones may be the best design.

My biggest grip with suppressor covers is how annoying they are typically to remove and re-attach after strings of fire, to allow the suppressor to cool down. I always seem to be fighting the inner most sleeve and trying to get it to slide back on properly, and then getting the outer cordura layer to match up. I have a few different brands, and they all have this issue to a degree.

The Can Chaps seem a bit more reasonable in that regard due to their design, but I've yet to personally try one.

I have my own idea for a suppressor wrap that I think would blow the others out of the water. I just need a sewing machine and some ambition in order to make it happen.

khuber84

WKR
Out of the current crop of suppressor covers, I think the Can Chap ones may be the best design.

My biggest grip with suppressor covers is how annoying they are typically to remove and re-attach after strings of fire, to allow the suppressor to cool down. I always seem to be fighting the inner most sleeve and trying to get it to slide back on properly, and then getting the outer cordura layer to match up. I have a few different brands, and they all have this issue to a degree.

The Can Chaps seem a bit more reasonable in that regard due to their design, but I've yet to personally try one.

I have my own idea for a suppressor wrap that I think would blow the others out of the water. I just need a sewing machine and some ambition in order to make it happen.
I have a canshap for my ultra7. After 20 rounds the burn proof cover went back on. I wanted something that was quick/easy to remove. Easy to remove means easy to move. Canshap stays put on lower recoil heavy match rigs, which Nick shoots the most of, I don't know how much testing he did with lightweight large volume cases, as mine slips, even when I tighten as much as possible.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
I have a canshap for my ultra7. After 20 rounds the burn proof cover went back on. I wanted something that was quick/easy to remove. Easy to remove means easy to move. Canshap stays put on lower recoil heavy match rigs, which Nick shoots the most of, I don't know how much testing he did with lightweight large volume cases, as mine slips, even when I tighten as much as possible.

Interesting, good to know.

I gave Nick my idea for a suppressor wrap, curious if he follows up on it. His product seemed the most apt for my idea. He was very intrigued, but also pretty busy. I don't like buckles or nylon strings/bungees for retention.

If he doesn't, I just might start making my own suppressor wraps.

Bummer, i've only used mine on 6 creed sporter weight rifle and it stays put well. Down side is it's not easy to remove to let cool. And its heavy with those buckles.

khuber84

WKR
Interesting, good to know.

I gave Nick my idea for a suppressor wrap, curious if he follows up on it. His product seemed the most apt for my idea. He was very intrigued, but also pretty busy. I don't like buckles or nylon strings/bungees for retention.

If he doesn't, I just might start making my own suppressor wraps.
The canshap needs some sore a rear cinch that is tapered below supressor diameter to keep it from sliding forward. This was my experience on a 10# 300 norma and a 9# 7lrm.