Suppressor covers - who's and why

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Semi serious question, can I just duct tape a piece of welding blanket/felt on and call it a day? Could get fancy and sew some Cordura on the outside. Mirage has been driving me nuts after 2-3 shots, but $80 for a can condom?
Older post, but that works great. I use vet-wrap to hold it on.

I have two of the Cole tac ones. One metal python without the high temp sleeve on my hunting gun and a high temp one on my target gun. They wrap up tight and the quality is pretty good. If I was gonna do another one for a hunting gun I would just do what @Marbles does.

TheCougar

WKR
Happy to mail you some exhaust header wrap, had to buy a roll and only used 12” or so. In general I don’t shoot long strings, but have noticed less mirage/much cooler to touch off the one I added the wrap to.
Is it heavy, and how did you attach it?

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Is it heavy, and how did you attach it?
1.3oz is for 2ft or so. Should be enough for an 8” can. I left the silicone on went over w the exhaust wrap and topped w coban. If you try it sans silicon wrap it wants to slip around.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 24

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a 308 tikka that’s had its barrel chopped and threaded. It lives in my truck with a banish 30 silencer on it. I have an Armageddon gear cover on that silencer.

fmyth

WKR
Experimented w $15 roll of high temp silicone tape ( enough for 4-5 suppressors) and vet wrap/Coban. More than adequate for bolt gun use, couple hundred rounds through so far.
I was thinking of wrapping my suppressor with some header wrap I have left over from a race car project.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-06-08 at 6.59.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-08 at 6.59.12 PM.png
    473.7 KB · Views: 14

AdamLewis

FNG
I use the Mechanix one on bolt guns when just goofing off. Really helps with mirage. I don't keep on on there when hunting big game as mirage is not going to be an issue.

Have a Cole tac that I like for semis. Also a Liberty's Defense which is absolutely excellent and has held up just fine to numerous-in-a-row mag dumps on a SCAR 17. I generally take one or the other when pig hunting where there can be a lot of action.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
The mirage is real after a few shots. Plus, I burned my hand trying to retighten mine after it loosened at the range. Bought the cover after the first day. I won’t use the cover hunting probably but I will at the range. Have 3 Cole-Tac covers

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I was thinking of wrapping my suppressor with some header wrap I have left over from a race car project.
In my limited experience it slips a little when wrapped straight over can (good temp control), I put hose clamps on either end and taped all around to stop the slip. So far first layer being silicone tape, then header wrap over and Coban stopped the slippage and can hand hold after 10 rounds comfortably.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I have had experience where zero will shift if the cover is not put on exactly the same way each time. They also put more weight up front where I don't really want it (heavy enough with suppressor already). They also get caught up in brush when moving around and again can get shifted around. I only run bare suppressors, especially on hunting rigs.

Blacktail_Brown

FNG
Classified Approved
Reviving an old thread, but does anyone have experience with T & K suppressor covers?

I probably would not use it for hunting certainly at the range where after three shots, I get significant mirage.

Taking chopped 7-08 on pack in hunt this fall. Can is cerakoted, but it will ride in a scabbard for the hunt. Any experience with can covers in scabbards and whether they tend to slip? Just don't want to get the can all scratched up in the scabbard without a cover. Thoughts?

jhoff04

FNG
Reviving an old thread, but does anyone have experience with T & K suppressor covers?

I probably would not use it for hunting certainly at the range where after three shots, I get significant mirage.
I don't have experience but what I will say is that I made the mistake of buying a Devour one from Silencer Central (because it was convenient and the T&K one wasn't available yet). It slides around and am constantly adjusting it. Next will be buying the T&K one with the cinch chord. Their customer service is great and they put a lot of thought and consideration into developing their products (big fan of their bino harness).

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider

I have a T & K cover. I haven't got a chance to test it out yet, but it seems like it would be good for the range. It seems very well made, and would hold up to abuse. But it is way to bulky for my liking on a hunting rifle. And I'm not a huge fan of the cinch down strap that runs around the cover. It's kind of a pain to get cinched down, and makes the material bunch up in spots.

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
I have a T & K cover. I haven't got a chance to test it out yet, but it seems like it would be good for the range. It seems very well made, and would hold up to abuse. But it is way to bulky for my liking on a hunting rifle. And I'm not a huge fan of the cinch down strap that runs around the cover. It's kind of a pain to get cinched down, and makes the material bunch up in spots.
You don't have to cinch it super tight. Most covers do not have a rear cinch to prevent the recoil from pushing the cover forward...so you have to really torque it down to overcome physics. You don't need to go overboard. As you see in the picture, the cover should not bunch up at all, and it should be a nice suction around the suppressor (to prevent heat escape which creates mirage). The most important aspect is the back cinch...which physically prevents the cover from moving forward. If you need help with this...just holler. 605-593-2945

-TylerP1077140.jpeg
P1077148.jpeg