Suppressor Advice for 7mm PRC

kcruz

FNG
Anyone have any advice on which suppressor to run on a 7mm PRC. I have gone back and forth on which cartridge to go with for a suppressed/ light weight western hunting rifle and have decided on the 7mm PRC. I will be picking up a Seekins Havak Element next week and adding a Zeiss V6 on top. The last piece I need is a suppressor. I am completely lost on what to get. I currently am waiting on a Hybrid 46 to get approved (Going on 10 months of waiting), but have realized after reading a lot of threads on here that I will probably find myself wanting more out of it. So in order to get things done right the first time I want to buy a suppressor that will stay mounted on this rifle only with sole purpose of big game hunting.

atmat

WKR
I just ordered a TBAC Ultra7 Gen 2 after doing similar reviews. I also would’ve happily taken a Criterion or Nomad-Ti.

I really like the Seekins Element. But at 22”, I think you’re gonna find you have an annoyingly long rifle, based on what folks here told me. For that reason, my Tikka will be sporting a 16” instead.

BigAl!

WKR

This is worth a read. I went with a CGS Hyperion K. It likely won't get out of jail until the end of the year though.

TheHammer

WKR
I have 2ultra5s and a nomad ti I’m waiting on. On a purely hunting rig you need to decide what it is you want. Minimal weight, minimal length and some suppression? Weight and length not being as big of a concern but maximum suppression being the focus? On my wm I was running a Griffin sportsman's ultralight 300…. It’s 8” long. I’ve since swapped my omega300 on it. And am mad I wrote the omega off based on weight alone, I swapped end caps and dt insert, it weighs 12.96oz, vs the 19.7 oz with asr and quick release mount, the can barely adds 5.6” OAL while offering solid recoil reduction and blast reduction. Once you decide what it is you are after and the trade offs you desire. Then you can choose a can! Good luck!

OP
K

kcruz

FNG
I just ordered a TBAC Ultra7 Gen 2 after doing similar reviews. I also would’ve happily taken a Criterion or Nomad-Ti.

I really like the Seekins Element. But at 22”, I think you’re gonna find you have an annoyingly long rifle, based on what folks here told me. For that reason, my Tikka will be sporting a 16” instead.
I was kind of worried about the length of the overall build, but I didn't see myself being in heavy timber enough that I thought it would get in the way. Are there other reasons besides weight everyone prefers the shorter barrel and suppressor combo?

I guess I should note 2 things, 1. For the next few years I will be hunting with guides in fairly open areas (from what they have told me) 2. I pretty much know nothing other than what I have read on Rokslide with these builds. I primarily hunt in AL for whitetail and that makes my needs fairly minimal in comparison to western game.

That being said, I went with the Element because it seemed to be the best out of the box rifle compared with other that I read about. Everyone is a big fan of the Tikka T3, but seems like it needs a decent amount of modification to get it up to the standards (I could be wrong don't come after me). Also, I chose a 7mm PRC partly because its the new caliber with a lot of good ballistics, But mostly because I was able to get a lot of ammo for it quickly and I don't hand load.

TxLite

WKR
I have a hybrid 46 on my 18” 7prc. It functions great but it does have a few shortcomings for an ultralight set up. When run with the ASR system it gets heavy and long pretty fast. Mine sits at 20.1oz with the ASR mount, so after the brake it’s probably closer to 23/24oz. You can shave some weight and length by using it as direct thread but I use this suppressor on multiple rifles and the ASR is much more convenient.

I’ve been considering getting a nomad ti or sico evo to use on this rifle but not sure the weight and length savings are worth the money for my use.

Pictured are my 22” 7-08 with a sico specwar and the 18” 7prc with the hybrid 46

Attachments

• A4BF81C5-2449-4EDC-9A19-5082E3F40639.jpeg
    A4BF81C5-2449-4EDC-9A19-5082E3F40639.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 8D717EF5-208E-4A2E-9592-58B0E423636A.jpeg
    8D717EF5-208E-4A2E-9592-58B0E423636A.jpeg
    759.1 KB · Views: 185
OP
K

kcruz

FNG
I have 2ultra5s and a nomad ti I’m waiting on. On a purely hunting rig you need to decide what it is you want. Minimal weight, minimal length and some suppression? Weight and length not being as big of a concern but maximum suppression being the focus? On my wm I was running a Griffin sportsman's ultralight 300…. It’s 8” long. I’ve since swapped my omega300 on it. And am mad I wrote the omega off based on weight alone, I swapped end caps and dt insert, it weighs 12.96oz, vs the 19.7 oz with asr and quick release mount, the can barely adds 5.6” OAL while offering solid recoil reduction and blast reduction. Once you decide what it is you are after and the trade offs you desire. Then you can choose a can! Good luck!
Thanks for the insight! I think my main focus right now is purely suppression. That could change after I hear some more opinions though. At the moment I am too new into western hunting to realistically tackle a hunt by myself where weight is my biggest concern.

atmat

WKR
I was kind of worried about the length of the overall build, but I didn't see myself being in heavy timber enough that I thought it would get in the way. Are there other reasons besides weight everyone prefers the shorter barrel and suppressor combo?

I guess I should note 2 things, 1. For the next few years I will be hunting with guides in fairly open areas (from what they have told me) 2. I pretty much know nothing other than what I have read on Rokslide with these builds. I primarily hunt in AL for whitetail and that makes my needs fairly minimal in comparison to western game.

That being said, I went with the Element because it seemed to be the best out of the box rifle compared with other that I read about. Everyone is a big fan of the Tikka T3, but seems like it needs a decent amount of modification to get it up to the standards (I could be wrong don't come after me). Also, I chose a 7mm PRC partly because its the new caliber with a lot of good ballistics, But mostly because I was able to get a lot of ammo for it quickly and I don't hand load.
I was going to go with an Element initially. I ultimately went Tikka just because it’s really easy and cheap to build something of high quality.

It’s not just a weight thing — balance and length certainly play a role as well. I was hunting the last few years with a 21” barrel (no suppressor or brake) and really loved the short feel. I couldn’t see myself adding an extra 7 inches and being happy.

I know you said you’re interested purely in sound suppression, but I don’t think that’s true. Or else you’d end up with a 10” can that weighs a ton, which is definitely something you don’t want if you already have a 22” barrel.

Beaverdog

FNG
check out pewscience.com before you buy anything. my next can will be a diligent defence enticer s-ti, hard to beat for the money.

OP
K

kcruz

FNG
I was going to go with an Element initially. I ultimately went Tikka just because it’s really easy and cheap to build something of high quality.

It’s not just a weight thing — balance and length certainly play a role as well. I was hunting the last few years with a 21” barrel (no suppressor or brake) and really loved the short feel. I couldn’t see myself adding an extra 7 inches and being happy.

I know you said you’re interested purely in sound suppression, but I don’t think that’s true. Or else you’d end up with a 10” can that weighs a ton, which is definitely something you don’t want if you already have a 22” barrel.
That's true. I should not have said it was my only interest, but rather what I am wanting most out of it. I can see the balance aspect being an issue though. It looks like most of the recommended cans are ~6.5-7" so a 16-18" barrel is what I should be aiming for?

I really like the Element and will be adding one to the collection no matter what. It sounds like I may need to consider alternatives though for a suppressor focused build that allow me to go shorter on the barrel length.

Regardless of the rifle choice, I'd buy a quality suppressor as soon as you can. You'll have plenty of time to settle on a rifle, modify ect but you need to get started on your wait time quickly, every day that you haven't filed your paperwork is another day added to your wait time.

atmat

WKR
That's true. I should not have said it was my only interest, but rather what I am wanting most out of it. I can see the balance aspect being an issue though. It looks like most of the recommended cans are ~6.5-7" so a 16-18" barrel is what I should be aiming for?

I really like the Element and will be adding one to the collection no matter what. It sounds like I may need to consider alternatives though for a suppressor focused build that allow me to go shorter on the barrel length.
Like I said, I don’t have my suppressor yet — it’s still in jail. But from the recommendations here, the general consensus was “as short as you can go and still achieve the velocity you want”. For me on the 6creed, that was 16”.

I agree with you on the Element though. I actually reached out to them to ask about a shorter barrel and they said maybe in the future when they aren’t behind in production. I just didn’t wanna spend nearly $3k on a gun whose barrel I’d want to immediately chop. But who knows, maybe you could go a while with 22” and not be bothered.

I do agree with the guy above. Find your suppressor and buy now. At this point you’re risking not getting it for 2023 season.

BjornF16

WKR
Recently ordered a Raptor 6 with 5” reflex…here is my comparison thread

Kynoch

FNG
I’ve done the dedicated can idea twice. Each time I wished I’d built in more flexibility. Especially when you bake in the cost of the can and the stamp/wait time and having it sit in the safe 10 months of the year for me. I keep going back to the Omega as an example of a can to move around on different guns all spring and summer. Then rezero in early fall and make dedicated for hunting season. Just a thought. Hard to make a bad choice.

jhm2023

WKR
I think it's hard to beat an AB raptor as a lightweight backcountry hunting can and they're my got to for my sheep rifles. An 8 stack raptor lived on my 6.5 PRC Element for a while and I recently switched it out for a 10 stack Raptor. I've done heavier cans on lightweight rifles and really dislike how the balance is thrown off. That's not an issue with a raptor at all. The sound quality also beats out all the suppressors I have experience with.

You're on the right track making suppression a top priority, take it from a guy who started off with a short can, they're a compromise and are no where near hearing safe.
You want volume and good engineering, I have a Nomad LT and it's amazing on my 7-300 wsm, at 8.4" and 12.3 oz it can't be beat.
Here's a vid with it on my 300 Norma Mag running 78 grains of powder behind a 212.
Let me know if you want to hear it on my wsm and I'll make another vid.

https://rumble.com/v2adv9c-300-norma-mag-suppressed.html