Suppressed vs Non-Suppressed Hunting

z987k

WKR
Now that's funny right there šŸ¤£

You do realize that you don't have the privilege to go through life without being offended, right?
Of course. Which is why I get up and move. They're fully within their rights to do what they're doing, it's just really crappy to be around, so I move. That doesn't mean it isn't inconsiderate. It still is, but they have every right to be inconsiderate.

atmat

WKR
Zippo. But your posts illustrate the elitist attitude you canners have toward the breakers. See the link below to put into context:

Understanding Suppressed vs Muzzlebreaks
Lol ā€˜elitist canners.ā€™ My guy, get a grip. Itā€™s just preference. I have one preference and you have another. Iā€™ve already got terrible tinnitus and donā€™t enjoy over-the-ear muffs. We donā€™t have to shoot together and thatā€™s totally fine. No one needs to be offended.

atmat

WKR
To say you wonā€™t go shooting or hunting with a person who is shooting unsuppressed is asinine.
Why is it asinine to not shoot with someone not using a suppressor?

Them being next to me completely negates the cost and benefit of me having a suppressor. My suppressor, in effect, becomes useless.

Edit: hunting is a little different, and I do hunt with some guys who shoot unsuppressed. I just know I have to take additional precautions if Iā€™m tagging along.

wyosam

WKR
Lol ā€˜elitist canners.ā€™ My guy, get a grip. Itā€™s just preference. I have one preference and you have another. Iā€™ve already got terrible tinnitus and donā€™t enjoy over-the-ear muffs. We donā€™t have to shoot together and thatā€™s totally fine. No one needs to be offended.

Personally, I refuse to hunt/shoot/associate with people who donā€™t have tinnitus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taudisio

WKR
Why is it asinine to not shoot with someone not using a suppressor?

Them being next to me completely negates the cost and benefit of me having a suppressor. My suppressor, in effect, becomes useless.

Edit: hunting is a little different, and I do hunt with some guys who shoot unsuppressed. I just know I have to take additional precautions if Iā€™m tagging along.
When you go shooting with someone, you both shoot at the same time?
Generally, when I go with folks, one person is spotting, the other is shooting.
You must not have a lot of friends to go shooting with, and/or you arenā€™t helping new shooters with their rifles. Which tells me all I need to know.

If your mother/wife/uncle/whatever buys themself a new rifle (unthreaded) and asks you to teach them how to shoot it. You are going to hold your nose up at them and tell that peasant you donā€™t shoot with people that donā€™t have suppressors? If you say you would do so, that makes you an ass.

atmat

WKR
When you go shooting with someone, you both shoot at the same time?
Often times, yes.

Generally, when I go with folks, one person is spotting, the other is shooting.
This happens, too.

You must not have a lot of friends to go shooting with
Iā€™m not sure how you made the jump to this statement but okay.

you arenā€™t helping new shooters with their rifles.
I help new shooters all the time, though Iā€™m by no means in the top tier of guys here. Most often I teach people on my suppressed 22, then a suppressed 223. They enjoy shooting way more this way.

If your mother/wife/uncle/whatever buys themself a new rifle (unthreaded) and asks you to teach them how to shoot it.
Generally I teach people on suppressed rifles because itā€™s more enjoyable. But if someone needs help or wants to learn on their own, Iā€™m not going to turn them down. But I donā€™t really count that as a ā€œshooting buddy.ā€

tell that peasant you donā€™t shoot with people that donā€™t have suppressors
The modern word is plebe.

If you say you would do so, that makes you an ass.
I havenā€™t said I would do that.

Look, it seems lots of people are upset
I wonā€™t shoot with them if theyā€™re not using a suppressor. So new rule: I will shoot with unsuppressed WKRs since Iā€™m so wanted. Youā€™re welcome.

Grundy53

WKR
Who knew people were so sensitive. Jeez. God forbid someone has a personal preference. I shoot suppressed, I shoot unsuppressed. Hell, the bull I killed last month I shot with a braked rifle. I understand not wanting to shoot around someone who shoots with a brake. It sucks. Why does it bother you guys so much if people don't want to shoot around unsuppressed rifles?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Taudisio

WKR
I honestly couldnā€™t care less what you do. But he asked why I thought the blanket statement of ā€œI wonā€™t shoot with anyone shooting unsuppressedā€ is an asinine statement. He then pointed out he would indeed shoot with people unsuppressed.

HuntnPack

WKR
I've hunted with a suppressed setup the past three seasons, notching a tag each time thankfully. I've enjoyed the pros while enduring the cons of hunting suppressed.

I'm thinking about not running a suppressor this year to save on barrel length and about 14oz of weight. However, I'm trying to determine if the length and weight savings are worth the tradeoffs.

I'll be hunting from a remote airstrip with two other hunters in my party. There's a high likelihood that at least two of us will be looking at the same animals from the same position at the same time (opp for a synchronized shot). Also, I am not certain if the entire hunting area will be crowded or not (first time hunting the area) but I'm a believer that a suppressed rifle shot disturbs game less (seen it too often with my own eyes).

If you are weighing the decision run a suppressor on your hunt, what factors into your thought process in making your final decision?
I use a simple low stress thought process.

Rifle Hunt = Suppressed (can)
Bow Hunt = Suppressed (string puffs)

Done ! Letā€™s Go !!!

Last edited:

Sneaker

FNG
I completely understand where you picked it up and why you use it. Good reason to keep using it. When I first heard ear pro used I really did think it was a new hearing protection (add nerd voice) device that I had to have and almost did a search for it! šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
I did google ā€œEar Proā€ thinking everyone had bought some brand of protection I was unaware of haha. Newer to the forum here, obv. Living in rural AZ, suppressors have not caught on at all, not a single one of my hunting friends or family have or hunt with a suppressor. I have never been on an hunt and even seen one being used before. Everyone just does ā€œearproā€, but I will be trying one after reading this thread šŸ˜. My kids have shot a handful of deer and elk over the last few years and we have never had an unprotected shot, so far, but itā€™s because Iā€™m obsessive and careful, but being able to whisper and shoot at will sounds awesomeā€¦

E.Shell

FNG
Personally, I refuse to hunt/shoot/associate with people who donā€™t have tinnitus.
Same here, a lack of tinnitus clearly indicates a serious lack of commitment to the sport. :p

I've been an instructor and range officer for over 30 years and a shooter/hunter almost twice that long, working on two military bases and running my own shooting school.

I LOVE having students and shooters bring a suppressor with them. It makes life much more pleasant for all of us.

I HATE having braked rifles on the range when instructing, because the only relatively safe place from the blast is directly behind the shooter and I'd often prefer to be next to them so I can see what they're doing. The added/redirected noise and concussion really makes a difference by the end of the day to both shooter and bystanders.

Even brake (yes "brake", not "break") users hate a braked rifle when it's not theirs. When we ran the long range line at Quantico and Ft. Meade, we would group brake users together down at the far end of the line and they bitched about each other the whole time. They didn't want to be next to another brake user, but didn't mind inflicting their side blast and flying debris on the neighbor with a bare muzzle or suppressor that they preferred being next to. Human nature I suppose.

My own hearing is terrible anymore and I use suppressors whenever I can to help keep it from getting worse.

Fact (no 'elitist' attitude included or required): Unsuppressed gunfire produces sound pressure levels that can be 150-160 db or more. Even very efficient ear muffs or plugs that reduce noise by 20 db or more STILL expose your ears to damaging noise levels of over 120-130 db.

atmat

WKR
Same here, a lack of tinnitus clearly indicates a serious lack of commitment to the sport. :p

I've been an instructor and range officer for over 30 years and a shooter/hunter almost twice that long, working on two military bases and running my own shooting school.

I LOVE having students and shooters bring a suppressor with them. It makes life much more pleasant for all of us.

I HATE having braked rifles on the range when instructing, because the only relatively safe place from the blast is directly behind the shooter and I'd often prefer to be next to them so I can see what they're doing. The added/redirected noise and concussion really makes a difference by the end of the day to both shooter and bystanders.

Even brake (yes "brake", not "break") users hate a braked rifle when it's not theirs. When we ran the long range line at Quantico and Ft. Meade, we would group brake users together down at the far end of the line and they bitched about each other the whole time. They didn't want to be next to another brake user, but didn't mind inflicting their side blast and flying debris on the neighbor with a bare muzzle or suppressor that they preferred being next to. Human nature I suppose.

My own hearing is terrible anymore and I use suppressors whenever I can to help keep it from getting worse.

Fact (no 'elitist' attitude included or required): Unsuppressed gunfire produces sound pressure levels that can be 150-160 db or more. Even very efficient ear muffs or plugs that reduce noise by 20 db or more STILL expose your ears to damaging noise levels of over 120-130 db.
Careful, youā€™re going to upset a lot of people with your facts and logic

Solm

FNG
Once I went suppressed for hunting, it's hard to go back unsuppressed. I hunt with everything suppressed now.

The tipping point for me was having children. I'm 39 and have taken great care of my hearing, using ear pro when vacuuming, working, and lawn mowing. Hell, I'm the nerd who wears earplugs to concerts and even loud bars. Despite all this, I still have hearing loss because of gun shots. I now use suppressors for virtually all my hunting to protect what I have left. I even chopped and threaded my NULA in 6mm ARC, which likely caused Melvin to roll over in his grave.

In terms of teaching me gun handling and hunting knowledge, my father did as good of a job as anyone. I'm so blessed. However, he wasn't perfect. I began shooting a 7x57 Mauser too early, which gave me a flinch. We also didn't own any suppressors, so that resulted in the hearing loss.

As a father, my kids will use low-recoil, suppressed centerfires until they're 18. After that, they can do what they want. Hopefully, they'll stick to low kick and low noise, but who knows. Maybe they'll rebel and use short barrel Weatherby Magnums with tank brakes to prove their old man wrong.

IMG_8588 2.jpeg

atmat

WKR
The tipping point for me was having children. I'm 39 and have taken great care of my hearing, using ear pro when vacuuming, working, and lawn mowing. Hell, I'm the nerd who wears earplugs to concerts and even loud bars. Despite all this, I still have hearing loss because of gun shots. I now use suppressors for virtually all my hunting to protect what I have left. I even chopped and threaded my NULA in 6mm ARC, which likely caused Melvin to roll over in his grave.

In terms of teaching me gun handling and hunting knowledge, my father did as good of a job as anyone. I'm so blessed. However, he wasn't perfect. I began shooting a 7x57 Mauser too early, which gave me a flinch. We also didn't own any suppressors, so that resulted in the hearing loss.

As a father, my kids will use low-recoil, suppressed centerfires until they're 18. After that, they can do what they want. Hopefully, they'll stick to low kick and low noise, but who knows. Maybe they'll rebel and use short barrel Weatherby Magnums with tank brakes to prove their old man wrong.

View attachment 779064
Having children is what ultimately drove me to make the plunge, as well.

wyosam

WKR

I loathe brakes at the range (or anywhere else). The way I see it, a bare muzzle is the baseline of rifle noise (obviously differs with cartridge and barrel length). A person shooting a bare muzzle hasnā€™t invested in changes to sway from that. A person with a can has made a conscious decision to improve on that baseline, both from their perspective and those around them. A person with a brake has made a conscious decision to reduce their felt recoil at the expense of those nearby. Cans are easy now, though they are a lot more expensive than a brake. Iā€™m not a big fan of restricting firearm accessories, but if ranges started saying ā€œno brakes welcomeā€, Iā€™d be absolutely fine with that. Hell, make them an NFA item or outright ban them, donā€™t care. Shoot something you can shoot bare or suppress it.

I guess I shouldnā€™t judge the person who said they wonā€™t shoot with someone who doesnā€™t have a can negatively, because I have zero interest in shooting next to someone with a brake. Iā€™ve left the range in the middle of a session if thereā€™s too many brakes to get away from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk