Suppressed vs Non-Suppressed Hunting

^ I too saw a moose shot with a suppressed rifle this season at 460 yards. The cow he was with didn't even move, in fact, she walked right up to him to see what was the matter. A minute later, another bull walked out of the tree line and went up to the cow and downed moose. I doubt that would have happened with a boom stick sounding off like normal.

We've also taken moose 800 yards from camp and the people at camp didn't even hear the shots.

TaperPin

WKR
I shot a moose this morning with a suppressed 6.5 PRC.

She walked 8 yds and dropped.

The bull next to her did not react, which is great since bull moose tags are once-in-a-lifetime here and I would hate to ruin someone else's hunt.

The other guy with a cow moose tag in the next meadow down was able to fill his less than 90 seconds after I shot. I could hear his, there's no way they heard mine.

My ears don't ring, I didn't have to remember ear pro in the moment.

My dad's ears don't ring either.

The length and weight didn't bother me since the barrel was cut down to accommodate the suppressor.

They make almost every aspect of shooting better and more enjoyable, doubly so when you're hunting.
I hunt with a .22 lr as well as center fire guns. I don’t feel there’s a big adjustment between the two. If a can would make a 7 mag sound and recoil like a .22lr, I’d still want to keep the long barrel for the additional speed - my latest gun has a 28” barrel and I’m liking that more than the 26”.

If someone likes a can that’s great. If one of our kids wanted one I’d get it for their birthday, or loan ‘em the money today, but I’m just not sold on the benefits outweighing the costs.

WTFJohn

WKR
I hunt with a .22 lr as well as center fire guns. I don’t feel there’s a big adjustment between the two. If a can would make a 7 mag sound and recoil like a .22lr, I’d still want to keep the long barrel for the additional speed - my latest gun has a 28” barrel and I’m liking that more than the 26”.

If someone likes a can that’s great. If one of our kids wanted one I’d get it for their birthday, or loan ‘em the money today, but I’m just not sold on the benefits outweighing the costs.

There is more to terminal ballistics & accuracy than velocity. There are plenty of chamberings that get their 'work' done in 18-22" barrels, especially when you add a can on the end. This is not 1983, modern powders and calibers don't need a long runway to perform.

You have unrealistic expectations for a suppressed rifle, and use that unobtainable strawman to justify not having one. I would bet your kids could shoot this suppressed 6.5 PRC better, & for a longer duration of shots than your 28" 7 mag.

Taudisio

WKR

I ask again, have you hunted with a suppressor?