Suppressed vs Non-Suppressed Hunting

^ I too saw a moose shot with a suppressed rifle this season at 460 yards. The cow he was with didn't even move, in fact, she walked right up to him to see what was the matter. A minute later, another bull walked out of the tree line and went up to the cow and downed moose. I doubt that would have happened with a boom stick sounding off like normal.

We've also taken moose 800 yards from camp and the people at camp didn't even hear the shots.

TaperPin

WKR
I shot a moose this morning with a suppressed 6.5 PRC.

She walked 8 yds and dropped.

The bull next to her did not react, which is great since bull moose tags are once-in-a-lifetime here and I would hate to ruin someone else's hunt.

The other guy with a cow moose tag in the next meadow down was able to fill his less than 90 seconds after I shot. I could hear his, there's no way they heard mine.

My ears don't ring, I didn't have to remember ear pro in the moment.

My dad's ears don't ring either.

The length and weight didn't bother me since the barrel was cut down to accommodate the suppressor.

They make almost every aspect of shooting better and more enjoyable, doubly so when you're hunting.
I hunt with a .22 lr as well as center fire guns. I don’t feel there’s a big adjustment between the two. If a can would make a 7 mag sound and recoil like a .22lr, I’d still want to keep the long barrel for the additional speed - my latest gun has a 28” barrel and I’m liking that more than the 26”.

If someone likes a can that’s great. If one of our kids wanted one I’d get it for their birthday, or loan ‘em the money today, but I’m just not sold on the benefits outweighing the costs.

WTFJohn

WKR
I hunt with a .22 lr as well as center fire guns. I don’t feel there’s a big adjustment between the two. If a can would make a 7 mag sound and recoil like a .22lr, I’d still want to keep the long barrel for the additional speed - my latest gun has a 28” barrel and I’m liking that more than the 26”.

If someone likes a can that’s great. If one of our kids wanted one I’d get it for their birthday, or loan ‘em the money today, but I’m just not sold on the benefits outweighing the costs.

There is more to terminal ballistics & accuracy than velocity. There are plenty of chamberings that get their 'work' done in 18-22" barrels, especially when you add a can on the end. This is not 1983, modern powders and calibers don't need a long runway to perform.

You have unrealistic expectations for a suppressed rifle, and use that unobtainable strawman to justify not having one. I would bet your kids could shoot this suppressed 6.5 PRC better, & for a longer duration of shots than your 28" 7 mag.

Taudisio

WKR

I ask again, have you hunted with a suppressor?

What makes it worse is that hearing damage is cumulative. People sit here and rationalize these single shots. It doesn't matter if it's 20 shots in 10 minutes or 20 shots in 10 years. All the same for hearing damage.

And people that let their kids shoot with brakes? WTF. These guys are brain dead.
Nope, not brain dead yet….I’m just not a fan of cool aid. 🤣 Also, why do the die hard supporters of suppressors automatically think that brake shooters are not using hearing protection? Notice I said hearing protection and not “ear pro”. That term drives me insane enough to be brain dead. I’m not in the cool kid shooting groups so it took me a long time to figure out that term. Thought it was some new kind of unbelievable hearing protection everyone was using. 🤣

Nope, not brain dead yet….I’m just not a fan of cool aid. 🤣 Also, why do the die hard supporters of suppressors automatically think that brake shooters are not using hearing protection? Notice I said hearing protection and not “ear pro”. That term drives me insane enough to be brain dead. I’m not in the cool kid shooting groups so it took me a long time to figure out that term. Thought it was some new kind of unbelievable hearing protection everyone was using. 🤣
I just call it "ears" so I dunno if that's more cool or less cool.

I wonder how many people that won't associate with someone that doesn't use a "can" use nose pro, because when it rains, they could drown. 🤔

Be careful ridin' that high horse, it's a long way down to the ground...

Scorpion

WKR
Surprised there are so many luddites in this thread.

The only regret that I have is not getting a suppressor 10+ years ago. I have a TBAC Dominus that adds less than 6” and 9.5 oz to the rifle. It’s best on a 20” barrel but I just hunted in the Wyoming backcountry with a 24” 6.5 PRC without issue.

Not all suppressors are created equal, it sucks you can’t try before you buy, but there is a lot of good info out there online.

I am not a purest, I still hunt with unsuppressed rifles and do my best to wear ear pro when using them. There is no upside to exposing yourself to muzzle blast.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
Ear pro is the military designation/slang (at least in the Marines) for hearing protection/ear protection. How much of a nerd do you sound like when you say “hearing protection”? Say it in a nasally voice and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

“Before we step off for the range make sure you have a water source, an MRE, flak with sapis, Kevlar, gloves, eye pro (safety glasses) and *nerd voice* hEaRiNg PrOtEcTiOn or your ass is grass” it just doesn’t sound right.

If you weren’t aware, we spent the majority of the last couple decades fighting two wars in the Middle East. There’s a lot of dudes out there between 30-45 that fired a rifle for the first time and it was dubbed “ear pro” and has been ever since. A lot of people that are into guns, hunting and shooting were/are in the military. A disproportionate percentage are into such things when compared to civilians. Chances are “the gun guy” or “the hunting guy” in your department, on your job site, at your company etc. was a grunt, it’s been that way for generations. Guys that shot guns for a job and relied on them to stay alive like shooting guns at rates more than regular people. Hence military gun/shooting terms in popular gun culture.

It’s hard to call it anything else when at one point you’ve had to dig a grave in the treeline with your e-tool and bury your M4 (and have a funeral for it) because you couldn’t shoot the course of fire because you forgot your “ear pro”, or “eye pro”. “Here lies a colt M4 And Trijicon RCO. This rifle was put to death because the owner was a stupid (expletive) and didn’t pack what was on the gear list, without ear pro, it is useless. Now say you’re sorry to your rifle for letting it down” “I’m so sorry rifle”

It’s become more of an industry term as of late probably to do with some of the guntubers being military guys/operators on occasion, but the roots at the least are not in trend, just the military making up words for everyday items. Like ink stick (pen). Or moonbeam (flashlight). Some words stick, some don’t.

Marshfly

WKR
If your kids are shooting with brakes they are getting mildly concussed with every shot. Just like everyone else on the firing line. Yeah. Brain dead.

Talk about Koolaid.

Mcribs

Lil-Rokslider
It’s just one of those things that once you go suppressed, you don’t go back. Has anybody shot suppressed for a season or two and said it’s not worth it? That’s kinda the test.

Felix40

WKR
If your kids are shooting with brakes they are getting mildly concussed with every shot. Just like everyone else on the firing line. Yeah. Brain dead.

Talk about Koolaid.
My son’s rifle doesn’t have a brake so I’m not emotionally involved like a lot of the people here seem to be.

#1 you’re overstating the muzzle blast issue a lot. If you would just go shoot in the mountains instead of a public range under a metal roof, you’d see that a good brake doesn’t really increase blast at the shooter at all.

#2 A kid getting hammered by an unbraked rifle could potentially cause way my concussion than one with a brake that barely moves. A moderate caliber with a brake recoils like a 22.

#3 My kid does so much other concussive stuff (soccer, wrestling, mma, bike crashes, falling off playground equipment, skiing, somehow tripping over his own feet all the time)that shooting a braked rifle (WITH EAR PRO) would be the least of my concern.

Saying anyone who lets their kid shoot a braked rifle is brain dead is silly. Different things work for different people.

It’s just one of those things that once you go suppressed, you don’t go back. Has anybody shot suppressed for a season or two and said it’s not worth it? That’s kinda the test.
Yes, me. I use mine when convenient. Great for hog hunting with a groups of us because guns a blazing at all angles. So far haven't bothered while deer or elk hunting.

SloppyJ

WKR
Suppress everything, and don't look back.

One of the most common trends I've noticed in these threads is it's usually guys walking to a tree stand complaining about the extra length and weight; while the guys living in the west tend to advocate more for suppressors.

In that treestand guy and there's not a time that I don't have a can on the end of any gun I have in the field. The lack of reaction and/or the confusion of the deer after the shot is worth it if for nothing else. Last hunt of the season last year I took three deer within 15min. Filled the freezer on that one.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a break, and it does a better job of reducing muzzle lift and keeping me on target than a suppressor. However, I dislike the blast wave from the break, especially on larger calibers. If you forget to put on your ear pro one time, you have damaged your hearing. I still use some ear pro with a suppressor when I am training at the range, as even the continual noise from a suppressor is not good long-term. Use what you like, but do not judge something unless you have tried it yourself.

My son’s rifle doesn’t have a brake so I’m not emotionally involved like a lot of the people here seem to be.

#1 you’re overstating the muzzle blast issue a lot. If you would just go shoot in the mountains instead of a public range under a metal roof, you’d see that a good brake doesn’t really increase blast at the shooter at all.

#2 A kid getting hammered by an unbraked rifle could potentially cause way my concussion than one with a brake that barely moves. A moderate caliber with a brake recoils like a 22.

#3 My kid does so much other concussive stuff (soccer, wrestling, mma, bike crashes, falling off playground equipment, skiing, somehow tripping over his own feet all the time)that shooting a braked rifle (WITH EAR PRO) would be the least of my concern.

Saying anyone who lets their kid shoot a braked rifle is brain dead is silly. Different things work for different people.
Great post. Agree 100%. Be careful what you say on Rokslide about kids shooting with a brake though. The diehards will call you brain dead and how terrible of a dad you are for letting them shoot a braked rifle. I brought up one time exactly what you said in your #3 and man oh man guys sure got upset over that one! 🤷🏼

Talk about Koolaid.
Oh please, here we go again with the concussion thing. I’ve never shot on any kind of firing line or a rifle range. Lots of open blm land where we shoot and no one else around. I’ll keep doing what I do and you can do what you do. No need to make it so personal and start calling people names and insulting them.

Ear pro is the military designation/slang (at least in the Marines) for hearing protection/ear protection. How much of a nerd do you sound like when you say “hearing protection”? Say it in a nasally voice and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

“Before we step off for the range make sure you have a water source, an MRE, flak with sapis, Kevlar, gloves, eye pro (safety glasses) and *nerd voice* hEaRiNg PrOtEcTiOn or your ass is grass” it just doesn’t sound right.

If you weren’t aware, we spent the majority of the last couple decades fighting two wars in the Middle East. There’s a lot of dudes out there between 30-45 that fired a rifle for the first time and it was dubbed “ear pro” and has been ever since. A lot of people that are into guns, hunting and shooting were/are in the military. A disproportionate percentage are into such things when compared to civilians. Chances are “the gun guy” or “the hunting guy” in your department, on your job site, at your company etc. was a grunt, it’s been that way for generations. Guys that shot guns for a job and relied on them to stay alive like shooting guns at rates more than regular people. Hence military gun/shooting terms in popular gun culture.

It’s hard to call it anything else when at one point you’ve had to dig a grave in the treeline with your e-tool and bury your M4 (and have a funeral for it) because you couldn’t shoot the course of fire because you forgot your “ear pro”, or “eye pro”. “Here lies a colt M4 And Trijicon RCO. This rifle was put to death because the owner was a stupid (expletive) and didn’t pack what was on the gear list, without ear pro, it is useless. Now say you’re sorry to your rifle for letting it down” “I’m so sorry rifle”

It’s become more of an industry term as of late probably to do with some of the guntubers being military guys/operators on occasion, but the roots at the least are not in trend, just the military making up words for everyday items. Like ink stick (pen). Or moonbeam (flashlight). Some words stick, some don’t.
Sheesh! Thanks for the lecture. What I said about “hearing protection” vs. “ear pro” was just a simple kidding around. Like I said, I’m
not in the cool kid club and will definitely stay in the nerd crowd. I’m a little ways over the 30-45 age group so that makes me exempt from using the “correct” slang terms. 🤣 (laughing again cause it’s a joke).

Thanks for you service though. I definitely appreciate that. 👍🏻