Suppressed vs Non-Suppressed Hunting

WTFJohn

WKR
I live in the west and hike plenty of mountains and miles. Still won’t hunt with a suppressor.

Also, when I hunt a tree stand it’s usually a long ways in from most roads and during archery season anyways. Wait, maybe I can figure out how to use a suppressor on my bow? 🤣
My post was a page or two back but the opposite of that. I've got a bunch and will use them locally because why not, but one shot one kill after putting many miles on boots for days on end no thanks.

My use case is different most of the year, traversing (via various means) the same ground year-round. The vast majority of our shooting is still single shot/kill ratio, but the long-term effect on the landscape is much lower. I can shoot coyotes and not disturb the muley bucks bedded on the ridge, or we can dip into the same elk herd over a weekend and not push them miles away. Sometimes it's as simple as a new hunter getting an otherwise second chance on an animal they missed prior, or being able to re-check zero after a bad fall.

Everyone is different. I couldn't tell you my pack, rifle, or any other gear weight; some folks cut half the bristles off their toothbrush.

I can shoot coyotes and not disturb the muley bucks bedded on the ridge, or we can dip into the same elk herd over a weekend and not push them miles away.
Hmmm, wife and I have Elk tags in the same unit and season, mine is a cow tag she's got the bull. Maybe I'll take my little suppressed Creedmoor. Usually it's one of the other so never really cared but this year I got the cow tag on reissue.

OP
jreyna

jreyna

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmm, wife and I have Elk tags in the same unit and season, mine is a cow tag she's got the bull. Maybe I'll take my little suppressed Creedmoor. Usually it's one of the other so never really cared but this year I got the cow tag on reissue.
Good luck out there this year ScreamingPotato. I hope y'all both notch your tags.

WKR
Hearing well feels better than being slightly skinnier every day of your life.

—someone with ringing in their ears right now at 43YO that will never allow their kids or wife to fire a rifle unsuppressed.
Agree 100 percent. Everyone has a magic number of unprotected shots they can hear before the ringing never stops. Everyone. And you won't know how many that is until it's too late, and you will only have yourself to blame.

You're playing Russian roulette with your ears, and bragging about how you are still alive.......for now.....

TaperPin

WKR
My wife will need hearing aids before I will - just getting in her car without first turning down the radio is asking for trouble. Our adult kids will also have to change their choice of music and volume to avoid early hearing aids - that’s not even counting all the concerts they go to that rattle the teeth and make your tummy feel funny. Ear ringing isn’t just from shooting, or non shooters would never get it.

I get it, it’s part of the marketing that you have to buy into and repeat often - same with all the tacticool. It’s as if it’s not repeated over and over and over and over it somehow won’t make sense. I mentioned to my shooting buddy that he should drone on and on about the benefits of a flat shooting rifle, and keep photos of Nosler Partition bullet performance in his wallet, or it won’t be true - we chuckled.

When this fad fades and all the guys with cans are called fudds by their kids, some of us will fall over laughing.

WKR
When this fad fades and all the guys with cans are called fudds by their kids, some of us will fall over laughing.
At least they will be able to hear them.

Pushing back on people protecting their hearing is just pride messing with you. All these other sources of hearing loss you've listed are additive. One type of exposure doesn't preclude damage from another, they add up. Trying to justify one form of damage over another is not intelligent.

If you want to be prideful and thump your chest because your hearing is fine, have at it. But please consider anyone else that might be reading. Do you really want to talk them into taking chances with hearing loss?

We are all different. Maybe you can smoke a little meth every day and not have a problem, but it doesn't work that way for everyone.

Hearing well feels better than being slightly skinnier every day of your life.

—someone with ringing in their ears right now at 43YO that will never allow their kids or wife to fire a rifle unsuppressed.
You're not wrong, however I believe the trend is a little over emphasized from a lot of people trying to justify their suppressor purchases.

The permanent tinnitus started about 20 years ago for me, thousands of 3" mag duck and goose loads plus all the rock concerts that I continue to go to, and the concussions really seem to have elevated it to the next level. I think I mentioned before that we all wear electronic ears when duck hunting now. 1 or 2 shots a year from a bolt gun isn't gonna change anything. I own three suppressors and have access to a couple more, they're fun and I use them situationally for sure, just not carrying them all over tarnation in the mountains.

The only reason suppressors fell out of favor to begin with is because the government got involved.

If the government hadn't got involved we'd likely view unsuppressed rifles like unmuffled cars by now

TaperPin

WKR
At least they will be able to hear them.

Pushing back on people protecting their hearing is just pride messing with you. All these other sources of hearing loss you've listed are additive. One type of exposure doesn't preclude damage from another, they add up. Trying to justify one form of damage over another is not intelligent.

If you want to be prideful and thump your chest because your hearing is fine, have at it. But please consider anyone else that might be reading. Do you really want to talk them into taking chances with hearing loss?

We are all different. Maybe you can smoke a little meth every day and not have a problem, but it doesn't work that way for everyone.
You guys crack me up - so worried about everyone’s ears. Lol