Subaru durability

If you take care of a Subaru, it’ll take care of you.
Not always. I’ve owned three. One I bought in 99. It was 96 legacy. Great car. Until a guy blew a stop sign and totaled it. I bought a 2001 with very low miles. Legacy GT. Incredible car. Drove it until 2007 when I inherited a 2005 legacy outback. So, I sold the current legacy at the time figuring the new one was a better car to keep since it only had 37,000 miles on it.

That thing was the biggest piece of crap on the planet. My wife put 175,000 on it. Two rear ends, two transmissions, and rebuilt the front end three times. I figured it up and had over $11,000 in that thing when I finally pushed it onto the car lot to trade in. Literally pushed it on the lot.

I don’t think I’ll ever buy another one.

Mt Al

WKR
Yes. have had many older outbacks for me, two kids and my wife, but nothing beyond a 2008 so take that into account, I have no knowledge of newer ones. If I wanted to get somewhere reliably without thinking about breakdowns in the middle of nowhere, I took my Suby. Had the head gasket issue, but those were known things to fix.

Thread Derail Warning: also have used a Honda CR-V, awesome reliability, similar mileage, also AWD

JoeDirt

WKR
Random CVT issues, head gaskets, timing belt and CV axles issues depending on the years.

Ive owned a few Subaru's almost all of them are stupid easy to work on.

jackle1886

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 2005 Outback with the 3.0 H6. Bought it at 100k and drove it to 200k. Replaced one rear brake cylinder, an idler pulley, some wheel bearings and had a crack on the top of the fuel pump. That was very easy as there was an access panel.

Great car, great in the snow. All the boxer style engines will eventually leak oil from the valve gaskets, but not terribly.

We ordered the wife a new Forrester, supposed to take delivery in a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rick M.

WKR
Not always. I’ve owned three. One I bought in 99. It was 96 legacy. Great car. Until a guy blew a stop sign and totaled it. I bought a 2001 with very low miles. Legacy GT. Incredible car. Drove it until 2007 when I inherited a 2005 legacy outback. So, I sold the current legacy at the time figuring the new one was a better car to keep since it only had 37,000 miles on it.

That thing was the biggest piece of crap on the planet. My wife put 175,000 on it. Two rear ends, two transmissions, and rebuilt the front end three times. I figured it up and had over $11,000 in that thing when I finally pushed it onto the car lot to trade in. Literally pushed it on the lot.

I don’t think I’ll ever buy another one.

Sounds like you loved the first one that got totaled, loved the second one that you sold, and the third one gave you problems (any very well may have been a lemon). I personally wouldn't say that's a reason to abandon the brand for good, but to each their own. Subaru and Mazda have both been very good to me, and are both among the top of most dependability lists (alongside other Japanese brands). You really can't go wrong with a Japanese made car, IMO.

ETtikka

WKR
Get a newer model (timing chain) , vin # that begins with a J, 6 spd manual ( better awd system, and simpler, better engine braking ), and dont look back

quality oil and fram ultra or similar filter

change diffs, trans fluids

change coolant, fresh coolant and good electrical grounds helps prevent head gasket issue

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I'm considering a Forester. Either something used with 100k on it for a reasonable price, or might go new - depending on how much used are.

My 2015 has 136k have had it since 18k
So far tires, breaks and it eats batteries.
The trans and diffs need done every 64k which was like $680 and that was a few years ago.

Other then that I change my own oil and spark plugs. Breaks were super easy and made 120k and I only did pads.

Over all I like Toyota and will check out Rav 4 and Toyota has a new one called the Corolla cross.

I took the front pass seat out in mine and made a bed.

I commute over 100 miles daily in Alaska, had a Subaru and now I have a Mazda CX-5. I just couldn't do another Subaru. Maintained to the manual's standard. Burned oil from day one like most other 2.5 motors, replaced CVT at 98k, would blow low beam headlights all the time. To change the headlight bulb, you have to remove the tire and inner fender wall. Mileage was never as advertised. All in all, it wasn't horrible, but there are many other competitors I would consider as well. When replacing the Subaru, I didn't even consider another one if that tells you anything.

J Batt

WKR
Get a Toyota. Almost any model.
Subaru’s are middle of the pack when it comes to reliability.
Toyota and Lexus are on the top shelf.

Sounds like you loved the first one that got totaled, loved the second one that you sold, and the third one gave you problems (any very well may have been a lemon). I personally wouldn't say that's a reason to abandon the brand for good, but to each their own. Subaru and Mazda have both been very good to me, and are both among the top of most dependability lists (alongside other Japanese brands). You really can't go wrong with a Japanese made car, IMO.
My grandfather was the head mechanic for a Subaru and Volvo dealership. I’ve got a lot more ecpietence with them than just my own. Mostly good too. But, they aren’t any more dependable now than any other car. 20-30 years ago they were. They were made to be a no frills dependable machine. And, that’s what they were. No so much anymore.

Maverick1

WKR
I live in Montana and drive a lot for work in the snow. I'm considering getting a Subaru. I will put 200,000 or 300,000 mi on this vehicle.

I don't know what to believe reading reports of Subaru reliability. Some people say they are unreliable. Others say that that is nonsense.

Any feedback? Would you be comfortable driving a Subaru 200,000 to 300,000 mi as a work vehicle 7 hours away from home?

Thanks!
You are getting a mix of opinion and preference thus far. Take a look at the actual data for Subaru. Click on the specific model to get data for a specific year or range of years.

jimh406

WKR
I would consider a Honda or Toyota instead. Once upon a time, Subaru was a good value. That's not really the case any more. They cost around the same.

No matter which you buy, consider immediately changing the tires to 3 Peak or Winter tires for Winter.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Wheel bearings don't last long in them, but, they're easy to replace and not very expensive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Starting out with a car that has a 100k, and hoping to get another 200k miles out of it is going to be very very tuff

There’s only one make of car I routinely see in good working order with 200k or more on them…Toyota

sneaky

"DADDY"
Starting out with a car that has a 100k, and hoping to get another 200k miles out of it is going to be very very tuff

There’s only one make of car I routinely see in good working order with 200k or more on them…Toyota
That's interesting. Our company drives Hyundai's and every single one of them we have has gone 400k easy with routine maintenance

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk