Stuff overheard at the range or local gun shop

I worked part time at a local gun store for many years.

Heard a lot of things.

Craziest conversation I ever had was with a lady who came looking to buy a handgun. I showed her several different ones and she found one she liked. She then asked me about the process of purchasing one.

I explained to her she either needed a CCP or. She would have to go to the local sheriffs office to get a pistol purchase permit.

She said “How long does it take to get one of those?” I told her that at that time it generally took 3-5 days.

She then exclaimed “I can’t wait that long. I have to kill that cheating sumbitch right NOW!!”

Needless to say I did not sell her a pistol.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Happens all the time now. I try to refrain from commenting on ANYTHING unless asked. :ROFLMAO:

I admit none of my previous faults.

However. *(for most people)* I go out of my way to not talk about shooting or hunting and if I have to I offer no personal views unless asked very directly then I try and be as vanilla as possible to not incite interest so I can quit the conversation as quickly as possible.

However. *(for most people)* I go out of my way to not talk about shooting or hunting and if I have to I offer no personal views unless asked very directly then I try and be as vanilla as possible to not incite interest so I can quit the conversation as quickly as possible.
I generally cringe when someone I'm not friends with tries to talk about hunting/fishing/shooting/guns/vehicles

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

This is me in person for sure unless they just persist. Great strategy.

Oldrifle

FNG
I heard that the Ruger 22/45 pistol could fire either 22 or 45 rounds by the young man at the Midtown Walmart in Anchorage. Because of the encouragements of our modern culture, many people believe they are far more than they actually are.

I heard that the Ruger 22/45 pistol could fire either 22 or 45 rounds by the young man at the Midtown Walmart in Anchorage. Because of the encouragements of our modern culture, many people believe they are far more than they actually are.
The kid at midtown Walmart in anchorage told me the Ruger 22/45 pistol could shoot 22 or 45. Harmless but still dumb.
:rolleyes:

I went to the gun counter in a Farm and Ranch type store in northcentral Wyoming and the goofball behind the counter started to tell me about his uncle's experience with his new 6.5 creedmoor.

His uncle was out deer hunting and a buck mule deer ran up to his uncle that was standing behind a tree and stopped only a few yards away. When ithe deer stopped his uncle shouldered the 6.5 CM and all he could see in the scope was hair.

The gun counter guy then says, "My uncle pulled the trigger and the bullet hit the deer in the balls and then the guts, killing it instantly. That deer was only like 10 yards away and he blew the deers balls off. The bullett had not even gotten it's energy yet, so think what would have happened if the deer was further away."

I just shook my head and walked away.

ClearCreek

Last edited:
I may have posted this story before, and it wasn't overhead at a bow shop range, but it was told directly to me.

Dude walks in with the Team Hoyt or whatever team shooter shirt on.. He had a somewhat fancy an aluminum bow case so I was pretty curious what he was gonna pull out of there. Opened it up and it was like a 20 year old bow and he had about 20 somewhat mismatched arrows. I made some small talk with him and he informed me that he is the world record holder for most robin-hooded arrows. I asked him how he knew that, and he said he has searched all over the internet and can't find a single person that claims to have more. He also holds the record for the longest "streak" - his first one was in like 1980 something and his most recent one was last Tuesday, so he's going on like 30 some years by this point. I gave him a "makes sense!" nod and got out of his way..

So then he steps up to the line with his 20 some arrows and proceeds to shoot them all at one spot on a target 20 yards away, and ends up with a ~10" group. He then walked up to the target, pulled out the 5-6 outermost arrows and headed back to the line to shoot them and repeat the process.. each round producing a tighter group until after a while he finally robin-hooded one. He then gave himself a nod of approval, went and wrote it down in a notebook, put his bow and arrows back in the case, and left..

I may have posted this story before, and it wasn't overhead at a bow shop range, but it was told directly to me.

Dude walks in with the Team Hoyt or whatever team shooter shirt on.. He had a somewhat fancy an aluminum bow case so I was pretty curious what he was gonna pull out of there. Opened it up and it was like a 20 year old bow and he had about 20 somewhat mismatched arrows. I made some small talk with him and he informed me that he is the world record holder for most robin-hooded arrows. I asked him how he knew that, and he said he has searched all over the internet and can't find a single person that claims to have more. He also holds the record for the longest "streak" - his first one was in like 1980 something and his most recent one was last Tuesday, so he's going on like 30 some years by this point. I gave him a "makes sense!" nod and got out of his way..

So then he steps up to the line with his 20 some arrows and proceeds to shoot them all at one spot on a target 20 yards away, and ends up with a ~10" group. He then walked up to the target, pulled out the 5-6 outermost arrows and headed back to the line to shoot them and repeat the process.. each round producing a tighter group until after a while he finally robin-hooded one. He then gave himself a nod of approval, went and wrote it down in a notebook, put his bow and arrows back in the case, and left..
Dudes playing chess while we're just playing checkers. He unlocked the code.

Jacack

WKR
Few years ago I watched a guy shooting a muzzle loader at the range, he definitely has just got it and was trying to get ready for season opening a day or two later. He struggled to push the bullet down the bore and I was about to go talk to him after his next shot and tell him that a starter makes it easier than using his ram rod.
I got up and headed towards him just in time to see him rifle in sand bags about to fire and I see the end of his ramrod sticking out of the barrel . A bang and cloud of smoke and that ramrod was gone to parts unknown . He looked for it around the bench for a few minutes and I couldn't bring myself to tell him he just shot it down range. He figured it out and packed up shortly after

wyogoat

WKR
Count me in. 4 years at Sportsman’s behind the archery and gun counter. Back when Stu was still running the company into the ground.
I made it almost 2 years (Loveland and Thornton) and knew Stu too! Fun job for a while and still good friends with a few of those people.

Not at the range but while fishing in March with the kids there was two old guys next to us drowning power bait. A loon called out and one of the guys jumped up and yelled “Did you hear that? I think that was a bull elk!” Then another loon called and he goes “ Oh never mind it’s a deer!” My 7 year old and 4 year old were confused as hell 😂

CorbLand

WKR
Count me in. 4 years at Sportsman’s behind the archery and gun counter. Back when Stu was still running the company into the ground.
We want to meet Wednesdays around 7 mountain time? Hahaha.

Heard the stories of the Stu days. New guy is running it off a cliff.

Not at the range but while fishing in March with the kids there was two old guys next to us drowning power bait. A loon called out and one of the guys jumped up and yelled “Did you hear that? I think that was a bull elk!” Then another loon called and he goes “ Oh never mind it’s a deer!” My 7 year old and 4 year old were confused as hell 😂
This is partially on you for fishing by some old guys with Powerbait. Lol