Stuff overheard at the range or local gun shop

I heard some young guy that was way too enthusiastic call every older gentleman at the range "uncle" like he knew them, but after a while i realized he didn't. Ive only ever heard my filipino friends do that and this guy was white and nerdy as they come. He then proceeded to tell his friend he brought about knockdown power and i caught snippets of other fuddlore. Was very happy when he left since he was the only unsuppressed shooter on the line

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I remember hearing a pot bellied gun counter guy telling an airforce pilot how crappy the osprey choppers were and how he’d never fly one. He kept calling the Air Force the “chair force”.

The pilot was like “yeah, I agree, you won’t ever fly one”.

I asked some bass pro guys if they had the field craft rifle (back when it was new”, after telling me they could order one I just said I’d like to handle one before I spend 1600 dollars. The three of them cracked jokes for the next 5 minutes about how they deal with guns that are more expensive.

There was/is a gun shop on central avenue in Albuquerque, the building enterance is off the road but there’s an old glass door that is t in use facing central avenue. This shop had racks of used rifles, one employee told me if I want to get a better feel, I can stand by the door and point it at people to see how the scopes look etc.

sndmn11

WKR
@KickinNDishin tells me she can hit paper.

I was helping RO at my old clubs Public range day.
Dude pulls up with 3-4 super fancy I believe Weatherby rifles. Full gloss wood high grade stuff.
Touches off 3 rounds and is bewildered its on on paper.
I walk up to give it an extra set of eyes. He is shooting 270 in a 300 or something similar and the cases are split length ways.

tony

WKR
Stopped in 2 gun shops while visiting my folks last week.
I can only imagine the bullshit some of these guys hear.
My opinion here, as someone will undoubtedly start spewing about rights. The amount of people I’ve seen that probably should not be owning firearms grows each time I walk into a gun shop. Seriously your on your phone looking at nonsense do a little research on what you want and not take the advice of your special forces wanna be friend in the too tight 9 line t shirt.

Maybe it’s the shops in northern Ohio. Anybody else notice the counter guys pretty much wearing police duty belts now? One kid had a full size pistol, 3 reloads, and giant fixed blade knife cross ways in the small of his back.
I’m thinking if someone is coming to steal guns you’re already too late to get the draw on them. Maybe some body armor instead as those glass display cases aren’t going to protect you.

Still hear “knock down power” all the time.

CorbLand

WKR
Worked at a gun counter for a bit. I have a list of things heard that I just shake my head at. Some of the ones I can remember right now.

1. Teenaged kid, dressed like Tony Montana, comes in asking if they make guns that dont drop the casings out when you shoot them?

2. Two older gentleman came in and asked if we had any primers. We didnt have any, zero, zilch. I told them "Nope." The one looks at the other and then just stares at me for a solid minute. I stared back and he finally says I know you have them. I was like "We dont have any." Long rant later, he ended it with how I was too young to know what was going on. He didnt like it when I responded back with "Probably, but I was smart enough to buy ten thousand when they were available."

3. Dude comes in and says he is looking for something to replace is 7-08 with something that has more readily available ammo but wants the similar ballistics and recoil as his 7-08. Kid trys to sell the guy a 7mag because "it shoots the same bullet."

4. RO ranting and raving about hitting a golf ball at 565 yards with his 6XC (he really emphasized the XC every time he said.) Finally asked him if it was his first shot? Nope, I think it was shot four or five. Then I asked him if he ever hit it again. Nope.

CorbLand

WKR
Stopped in 2 gun shops while visiting my folks last week.
I can only imagine the bullshit some of these guys hear.
My opinion here, as someone will undoubtedly start spewing about rights. The amount of people I’ve seen that probably should not be owning firearms grows each time I walk into a gun shop. Seriously your on your phone looking at nonsense do a little research on what you want and not take the advice of your special forces wanna be friend in the too tight 9 line t shirt.
Nothing challenged my thought process of "everyone should be able to own a gun" more than working at a gun counter did.

nobody

WKR
Worked at a gun counter for a large national chain for awhile. Hiring standards were essentially “do they have a pulse” and “do you know how to spell your own name,” we had some real loser mouth breathers there for awhile.

The worst was a self-proclaimed former military Rambo type named Grant. I am grateful for anyone who served in the armed forces, but just because you were in the military doesn’t mean you know ANYTHING about firearms. This guy was the cream of the crop for those stereotypes. Apparently he was part of a super secret squirrel type operation that saved Seal Team 6 multiple times when they lost most of their guys to gunfire, goes into active combat annually on request by the president, and he was also a team member for the Army’s PRS team where he shoots a RPR in 338 Loopa (his words, not mine). He was awesome, just ask him.

Anyways, he was famous for telling everyone that the “multi cal” on the side of an AR lower meant it would shoot 223 or 556, and as long as it said that on the side you were good to shoot either one. Multiple dozens of us told him over and over that “multi cal” means the receiver is good for any cartridge in that length configuration, but the chambering of the rifle was determined by the chamber itself, and that customers should always check the barrel stamp to determine chambering since cartridges like 300BO were also stamped multi cal. He argued vehemently against us, no matter what, and oftentimes went all “drill Sargent” on us, yelling at all of us to “fall in line” and to “respect our superiors”. The dude was an idiot, and was eventually forced out by corporate for other issues and complaints made by customers, but we all braced for the day when he ended up getting someone hurt.

Thank you to all military members for your service, but please be humble enough to realize that just because you were in the military, it doesn’t mean you know anything about firearms. Drives me nuts.

Last edited: