Stone Glacier vs Kuiu

If you want a pack you can beat the hell out of go with the stone glacier, if you want a pack you will have to baby go with the kuiu.

I agree, there is no way kuiu is in the same league as MR, Kifaru, SG. for durability and function, And once again Kuiu is putting out a pack that has very little field testing. MR spent two years field testing the Metcalf before bringing it to market. Two years field testing a bag! Kuiu has one season with limited use on an entirely new frame, harness, and bag. I do like some of Kuiu's clothing but their packs are not built to last. Save your money and buy a real pack.

JWP58

WKR
If Kuiu didn't put the Icon on sale back in January, I would've gotten a Stone Glacier. The SG looks top notch. I still want to swing through Bozeman to check them out in person....

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Jesus. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kuiu either pulled their sponsor or rokslide decided to no longer have them here, between the comments on this thread and the aquillo incident I'd say something had to of happened. I would also say I agree with Aron's statement. I have an icon and would not recommend it for load hauling. As soon as I get the coin kifaru will be on my back

Ryan can explain more, but yes, we parted ways.

bmart2622

WKR
Speaking of parting ways with an icon, I need to chat with you Aron, its time to get the pack all the cool kids wearing

Clarktar

WKR
Jesus. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kuiu either pulled their sponsor or rokslide decided to no longer have them here, between the comments on this thread and the aquillo incident I'd say something had to of happened. I would also say I agree with Aron's statement. I have an icon and would not recommend it for load hauling. As soon as I get the coin kifaru will be on my back

What is the aquillo incident? I am afraid I missed it...

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Of the two packs that the OP asked about, I would without a doubt go with the Stone Glacier.

I think you should also look really hard at a Kifaru.

Beastmode

WKR
I think kuiu had a good idea coming out with the icon. I just believe the testing process was lacking. If the had all the issues everyone is claiming and I have heard of a few they should have handled it differently. With that being said I would not personally spend my money or recommend anyone to buy one of their packs.

I tried on the sky pack at the sheep show this year and was very impressed. Out of the original posters two choices I would definitely go with the SG.

Jplus4

FNG
I just placed my order with Stone Glacier minutes ago. I was in the same boat and went with SG. Mostly for two reasons: 1)Everyone has only said good things about SG while nobody has been able to test the Kuiu 2)The materials in SG look like they can take more punishment. And it may just be me, but doesn't the Ultra look VERY similar to the SG pack? I know the frame/suspension is different, but the bag sure does look like a copy.
I'm not against KUIU at all. I have and like their clothes, but as others have said I can't afford to test out a new pack.
JoshM

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
u2y7a2ap.jpg

Kuiu for most of my clothing gear and Stone Glacier Terminus for my backcountry pack.

Rudy

OP
W

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you Aron and everyone for your input. Some great stuff. Without a doubt back to being sold on SG over Kuiu. I have no desire be a test subject for the Ultra with all the problems you all have said and I have heard about the old frame. I too have heard nothing but good things everywhere I go about SG.

I've had both stone glacier and several different models of the kuiu icons. This is just one backcountry hunters opinion. I ran the stone glacier solo last year and had around 30 nights of backcountry use with it. I was fortunate enough to help pack out a hunting buddies 6 point bull with the SG. So here goes, stone glacier is very well built. It hauls weight like a mule and very comfortable. Things I didn't like is where the carbon rods make an x it rubbed my back. This was fixed by adding the lumbar pad. Only other thing I didn't like was how the waist belt carried pouches or especially a hand gun. The 2 inch belt when not on your waist is held tight by a small piece of Velcro, which works fine for a lightweight belt pouch but not a side arm. Now I hear the waist belt has been changed so that is no longer an option. Also the meat shelf is to big and will let meat sag down well below the lumbar area. Not a big deal you just have to strap the meat a tad higher. Altogether the SG I would rate at a 8/10. Very good pack. Now for the KUIU, each year the Icon gets better and better, think back to the 2010 icon frame,it's has come along ways. My big issue is with the ears on the top and bottom that attach the bag to the frame. Those are the weak spots for failure. The new ultra doesn't have the bottom ears and is supposedly stronger, we will see. I have a ultra on pre order so will see if the issues are fixed. I think eventually the kuiu will be a good pack, hopefully that is the ultra. If so like has been stated they will sell a ton of those at that price point. I was one of the first pre orders so is ma hoping I get my ultra in time for the April 15 turkey season. We have a week long archery backcountry turkey hunt planned so I am hoping to get a feel for it then. Kuiu has the ultimate clothing and hopefully Jason nailed it with the ultra.

Only other thing I didn't like was how the waist belt carried pouches or especially a hand gun. The 2 inch belt when not on your waist is held tight by a small piece of Velcro, which works fine for a lightweight belt pouch but not a side arm. Now I hear the waist belt has been changed so that is no longer an option. Also the meat shelf is to big and will let meat sag down well below the lumbar area. Not a big deal you just have to strap the meat a tad higher.

For what it's worth, this is what replaced the velcro attachment.

A much cleaner and sturdier arrangement for sure, although it will take a few seconds longer to thread something on and off.

The current meat shelf is also rigged with a cross strap assembly back to the frame, rather than attaching to the back of the pack bag like the first version. That looks like it should let you set the load up higher on the frame without trouble, although I haven't tried it yet.

Yk

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
The KUIU Ultra 6000 has a 2500 ci load shelf between the bag and the frame, same as the Stone Glacier.

KUIU has 900 ci more space
KUIU is $250 cheaper
KUIU is 9.5 ounces lighter with more space
KUIU Ultra is unproven (you'd be QC for their new pack)I w

SG is made of more durable material
SG is in stock (who knows when an ULTRA would ship)
SG is made in the US

First and foremost I will start by saying with the hunting gear industry today there are MANY great products out there as far as gear goes. I think it all depends on what you are going to use your pack for and your style of hunting. I have many different gear brands and they all make great stuff some better than others. Before I would of hands down just fully 100% shouted "KUIU" (hence my username) but after owning many different brands I have come to learn there is a lot of great stuff out there! Heck Exo Mountian Gear even has a nice pack in line. I actually spent a lot of time researching five different packs this time around, and for what I personally wanted/ needed to use my pack for, which was similar to you for deer and elk hunts and possibly quick day pack. I couldn't beat the price of the KUIU Ultra 6000 the only CON I came up with was the not having the inner pockets like the other generations but they were trying to save on weight and that was the whole point and focus of this pack. As far as the meat sling, you can place meat between the pack and the frame. This pack was demonstrated to hold 200lbs in the demonstration video which is awesome but seriously the day I pack 200lbs on my pack is the day i'm clearing popping steriods. And to add to the comment above they are shipping mid April. My final statement is you need to go to the websites and weigh out all your options are you looking for a pack that can carry more than 200lbs? Are you looking for a pack with different zipper access? Universal frames? Its not about what he says or she says.. Personally I have owned KUIU packs and have never had a problem with material or having to "baby" that particular pack, but then again that person may hunt different from me. What I am trying to say is make a list of what is important to you in a pack and focus on getting a pack around those specific things because honestly every brand in the industry has is PROs where others have their Cons and others have CONS where other have PROS, but each one of them holds a unique benefit for what the hunter needs/uses his/her pack for. Just my two cents ;-) it was definitely a tough choice and it came down to a Kifaru or KUIU for me but I did want a lighter pack and that was the #1 point on my list so I made the decision to do with the KUIU. If my focus would of been a universal frame I would of went with the Kifaru- its what you want that pack for! That's the pack you should choose!

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
First and foremost I will start by saying with the hunting gear industry today there are MANY great products out there as far as gear goes. I think it all depends on what you are going to use your pack for and your style of hunting. I have many different gear brands and they all make great stuff some better than others. Before I would of hands down just fully 100% shouted "KUIU" (hence my username) but after owning many different brands I have come to learn there is a lot of great stuff out there! Heck Exo Mountian Gear even has a nice pack in line. I actually spent a lot of time researching five different packs this time around, and for what I personally wanted/ needed to use my pack for, which was similar to you for deer and elk hunts and possibly quick day pack. I couldn't beat the price of the KUIU Ultra 6000 the only CON I came up with was the not having the inner pockets like the other generations but they were trying to save on weight and that was the whole point and focus of this pack. As far as the meat sling, you can place meat between the pack and the frame. This pack was demonstrated to hold 200lbs in the demonstration video which is awesome but seriously the day I pack 200lbs on my pack is the day i'm clearing popping steriods. And to add to the comment above they are shipping mid April. My final statement is you need to go to the websites and weigh out all your options are you looking for a pack that can carry more than 200lbs? Are you looking for a pack with different zipper access? Universal frames? Its not about what he says or she says.. Personally I have owned KUIU packs and have never had a problem with material or having to "baby" that particular pack, but then again that person may hunt different from me. What I am trying to say is make a list of what is important to you in a pack and focus on getting a pack around those specific things because honestly every brand in the industry has is PROs where others have their Cons and others have CONS where other have PROS, but each one of them holds a unique benefit for what the hunter needs/uses his/her pack for. Just my two cents ;-) it was definitely a tough choice and it came down to a Kifaru or KUIU for me but I did want a lighter pack and that was the #1 point on my list so I made the decision to do with the KUIU. If my focus would of been a universal frame I would of went with the Kifaru- its what you want that pack for! That's the pack you should choose!

That is a nice commercial and all but the original question was looking for opinions from someone with actual experience with both packs. Unless you are part of the "inner circle" you can't possibly have hauled anything with the Ultra. I have a 2011 and 2013 Icon along with 1850, 3000, 6000, and 7200 bags as well as a couple Mystery Rance NICE frames and bags, and have owned Kifaru as well but I refrained from commenting because I did not have any first hand experience with the Stone Glacier yet.

I am interested in this announcement though...