Stone Glacier vs Kuiu

voidecho

Lil-Rokslider
That is a nice commercial and all but the original question was looking for opinions from someone with actual experience with both packs. Unless you are part of the "inner circle" you can't possibly have hauled anything with the Ultra. I have a 2011 and 2013 Icon along with 1850, 3000, 6000, and 7200 bags as well as a couple Mystery Rance NICE frames and bags, and have owned Kifaru as well but I refrained from commenting because I did not have any first hand experience with the Stone Glacier yet.

So KUIU girl shouldn't have commented because she doesn't have any first hand experience with the Ultra yet, but the 20 people above her who commented are fine, even though none of them have any experience with the Ultra?

jmez

WKR
Lots of people commented that don't have experience with one or either of them. Yet only this one was called out. Interesting.

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
That is a nice commercial and all but the original question was looking for opinions from someone with actual experience with both packs. Unless you are part of the "inner circle" you can't possibly have hauled anything with the Ultra. I have a 2011 and 2013 Icon along with 1850, 3000, 6000, and 7200 bags as well as a couple Mystery Rance NICE frames and bags, and have owned Kifaru as well but I refrained from commenting because I did not have any first hand experience with the Stone Glacier yet.

I am interested in this announcement though...

So we have a funny guy.. That's ok I like funny :) it wasn't intended as a commercial but if that's how you perceive it then that's ok too. I think you are the one with the misunderstanding the original post asked about experience with either brands. No I don't have first hand experience directly with the Ultra but like you I have many KUIU packs too, so I do have experience with those. My 6000 is a first gen. My post wasn't ever calling out Stone Glacier, so I'm thinking you had my opinion confused. My post was just stating he may have a specific focus he is looking into for his pack and he needs to look at all the gear and determine which one fits his needs/focus for his pack the most. Rokslide forum originally started on the moto that is on their home page, " to give unbiased gear reviews." I'm not in an inner circle, I'm not sponsored by any gear/hunting company, and I may not be as "experienced" as some of these hunters but I do know what works for me and that finding and researching what is going to work for you is the right answer. I own a lot of different brands for different things they are all great companies.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I was pretty much sold on ordering the SG Sky 5100, but have now seen the Kuiu Ultra 6000 and am rethinking the decision. I know there are some threads on this, but I wanted to check and see if anyone had some experience with either of them (shows, etc) and could have some input. I will mostly be elk and deer hunting, but think they are both versatile for a wide variety of hunts. No load shelf on the Kuiu concerns me slightly. The price on the Kuiu is so much cheaper than the SG I had to rethink. Any thoughts here?

READ the above carefully now...

I did read plenty of first hand experiences on the first page and most of the second. Even with pictures!

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
I was pretty much sold on ordering the SG Sky 5100, but have now seen the Kuiu Ultra 6000 and am rethinking the decision. I know there are some threads on this, but I wanted to check and see if anyone had some experience with either of them (shows, etc) and could have some input.

KUIU Live Ultra Demo :D

Just because someone has no experience with the exact product doesn't mean they have no insight into the question. both companies have reputations that they have built. Kuiugirl gave her feelings on her dealings with kuiu packs, and even justified why she went that direction. just like guys have given their opinion on SG.

as far as me I have zero experience with SG and a TON of experience with the icon. my choice would be SG so that should tell you something right there.

In my opinion people will choose the ultra for 3 reasons. 1. They want to say their pack is sub 4 pounds 2. The price is tough to beat for guys that may only use it once or twice a year. 3. They want the ram on their pack (Brand Loyalty).

the first reason makes no sense to me personally. when you have 80-100 pounds on your back your not gonna notice an extra pound or two much less a few more ounces. what you will notice is if a pack fails...

ultra- 3# 9oz
SG sky 5100 4# 3oz
SG terminus 4# 2oz
kifaru highcamp 7000 4# 8 oz

The second reason I really cannot argue with. if your gonna use a pack once or twice a year that price is tuff to beat, especially if the pack lives up to the hype. especially if heavy hauling is not in the cards(Guided, outfitters, pack mules etc).
The third..... well if that's your thing more power to you.

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
Just because someone has no experience with the exact product doesn't mean they have no insight into the question. both companies have reputations that they have built. Kuiugirl gave her feelings on her dealings with kuiu packs, and even justified why she went that direction. just like guys have given their opinion on SG.

as far as me I have zero experience with SG and a TON of experience with the icon. my choice would be SG so that should tell you something right there.

In my opinion people will choose the ultra for 3 reasons. 1. They want to say their pack is sub 4 pounds 2. The price is tough to beat for guys that may only use it once or twice a year. 3. They want the ram on their pack (Brand Loyalty).

the first reason makes no sense to me personally. when you have 80-100 pounds on your back your not gonna notice an extra pound or two much less a few more ounces. what you will notice is if a pack fails...

ultra- 3# 9oz
SG sky 5100 4# 3oz
SG terminus 4# 2oz
kifaru highcamp 7000 4# 8 oz

The second reason I really cannot argue with. if your gonna use a pack once or twice a year that price is tuff to beat, especially if the pack lives up to the hype. especially if heavy hauling is not in the cards(Guided, outfitters, pack mules etc).
The third..... well if that's your thing more power to you.

Thank you I appreciate that. I was just trying to let the original poster know that it is always a good idea to do your research and to really focus on what you are going to use it for and like you mentioned how often. Everyone is different. We all hunt different. And even train different. Some of us are BEASTS and some of us are your average get out in the backcountry and work your arsh off hunters. Each company is very reputable. I am a girl so the lighter my pack can be the better and we shall see if it works or like you said is noticeable but that was really my focus for this pack, because I'm pushing myself if I'm carrying over 80lbs at this point. Although to pack out an elk id kill myself trying :)

Thank you I appreciate that. I was just trying to let the original poster know that it is always a good idea to do your research and to really focus on what you are going to use it for and like you mentioned how often. Everyone is different. We all hunt different. And even train different. Some of us are BEASTS and some of us are your average get out in the backcountry and work your arsh off hunters. Each company is very reputable. I am a girl so the lighter my pack can be the better and we shall see if it works or like you said is noticeable but that was really my focus for this pack, because I'm pushing myself if I'm carrying over 80lbs at this point. Although to pack out an elk id kill myself trying :)
if you stay under 80 the kuiu will suite you well. the icon rode very well into the 60-80 pound range. above that is where issues arose for me at least

Cross

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I didn't catch that it was a book, I thought it was a camo pattern or some gear. The premise of my question is still the same what happened with kuiu and rokslide, I didn't see a thread on it.

voidecho

Lil-Rokslider
I'm assuming the Aquillo being referrenced is Kryptek's new puffy jacket No idea about any "incident".

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a thread that started talking about water proof treated down and its loft ratings. It turned into an interesting read