Stone Glacier vs Kuiu

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I was pretty much sold on ordering the SG Sky 5100, but have now seen the Kuiu Ultra 6000 and am rethinking the decision. I know there are some threads on this, but I wanted to check and see if anyone had some experience with either of them (shows, etc) and could have some input. I will mostly be elk and deer hunting, but think they are both versatile for a wide variety of hunts. No load shelf on the Kuiu concerns me slightly. The price on the Kuiu is so much cheaper than the SG I had to rethink. Any thoughts here?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
If you want a pack you can beat the hell out of go with the stone glacier, if you want a pack you will have to baby go with the kuiu.

If you want a pack you can beat the hell out of go with the stone glacier, if you want a pack you will have to baby go with the kuiu.

well that should tell you something right there. you don't have to exactly baby the kuiu but it is not as robust or durable as SG or Kifaru just based on materials used and things that I have read.

bmart2622

WKR
I handled the Stone Glacier for a good while at Schnees in Bozeman a couple months back. The bag is pretty minimalist and the sky and ultra should be very similar in layout. The stone glacier will be way more durable and you can get power pulls and a 3 piece belt with the krux frame. I currently own an icon and have nothing but good things to say about it, and it looks like all of the little things that I wasnt super crazy about they changed with the ultra. All of that being said, I am ordering a Kifaru as soon as I can get with Aron and work out the details.

voidecho

Lil-Rokslider
The KUIU Ultra 6000 has a 2500 ci load shelf between the bag and the frame, same as the Stone Glacier.

KUIU has 900 ci more space
KUIU is $250 cheaper
KUIU is 9.5 ounces lighter with more space
KUIU Ultra is unproven (you'd be QC for their new pack)

SG is made of more durable material
SG is in stock (who knows when an ULTRA would ship)
SG is made in the US

Last edited:
It has a load shelf. Maybe Ryan has tried the Ultra but not many have so I think a verdict that it has to be babied is speculative. It seems much more robust than the icon as far as the frame. If the ultra had been around when I finally decided to pick up a used bikini frame I would have had a hard time deciding because of the price as well. I sold my icon and can see that I will like the kifaru much better but I think the ultra is an improvement from the looks of it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Never even seen it! But it's core material is still all carbon. IME it will not take a beating like the SG. Four frames in four years!

Never even seen it! But it's core material is still all carbon. IME it will not take a beating like the SG. Four frames in four years!

For the record, Stone Glacier uses carbon for the frame also. :)

Kurt just used four 1/4" solid carbon rods rather than a thin sheet, so it will bend rather than break if excessively torqued.

Yk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
For the record, Stone Glacier uses carbon for the frame also. :)

Kurt just used four 1/4" solid carbon rods rather than a thin sheet, so it will bend rather than break if excessively torqued.

Yk

Ok so it's a carbon design flaw?

My take is this, when two products are similar in price and quality, customer service becomes the deciding factor for me, Stone Glacier wins two out of those three criteria. For a better product and better customer service, I will gladly pay a little more.

I've not heard of a single instance of anyone breaking a Stone Glacier frame yet and Kurt's customer service is top notch.

G Posik

WKR
I have the SG Sky 5100 along with other bags. I will say dealing with Kurt is flawless. His customer service is second to none. If you would like more info feel free to PM me.

Glenn

stephen b

WKR
I agree with what most everyone above is saying- go with the SG. IMO- you will not be sorry.

Plus- from what you put in your first post above, you were heading that way first. It is just like the teachers all told us- your first answer is usually the correct one. :D

I was pretty much sold on ordering the SG Sky 5100, but have now seen the Kuiu Ultra 6000 and am rethinking the decision. .......

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Keep in mind that I work for Kifaru, but here's my opinion.

I get several PM's and emails daily that ask "what pack should I get for my upcoming hunt?" and I always recommend a few different packs for them to choose from. Having said that, I NEVER recommend a Kuiu! I've had too many friends that have broken frames to suggest it without feeling guilty.

Ever wounder why guides like Lance K, Bryan Martin, the Lancaster family (and many others) don't use a Kuiu pack, but do use the clothing?

So I'd get a Stone Glacier for sure and Kurt is a hell of a guy too.

Jesus. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kuiu either pulled their sponsor or rokslide decided to no longer have them here, between the comments on this thread and the aquillo incident I'd say something had to of happened. I would also say I agree with Aron's statement. I have an icon and would not recommend it for load hauling. As soon as I get the coin kifaru will be on my back

Hawkeye

FNG
I have handled both at the SCI show and was in your same boat when I saw the price tag of the Kuiu. It sure is appealing and the new frame looks better than the old frame but I am not willing to be the tester for their new frame this year when I am deep in the back country. I have dealt with both companies on customer service and I think that both have been very fair and Kurt has been EXTREMELY helpful with my questions. Kurt is a top notch guy and very responsive. I was willing to pay the extra and buy US made product from a top notch guy like Kurt.

dotman

WKR
Jesus. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kuiu either pulled their sponsor or rokslide decided to no longer have them here, between the comments on this thread and the aquillo incident I'd say something had to of happened. I would also say I agree with Aron's statement. I have an icon and would not recommend it for load hauling. As soon as I get the coin kifaru will be on my back

Just for kicks watch the sponsor banners, no Kuiu.