Stone Glacier Cirque Jacket

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was able to field-test the Stone Glacier Cirque Jacket, a true game-changer and the first of its kind in the Stone Glacier lineup. Designed to meld heat and moisture management in an insulating garment, the Cirque Jacket stands out as a versatile multi-tool in your hunting kit.

One of its most remarkable features is its ability to shine during high-exertion hunts across a wide range of temperatures, thanks to those clever pit zips. But that's just the beginning—this jacket also doubles as an insulation layer, giving it extra points for versatility.

With Primaloft® synthetic insulation and DWR Pertex® fabric, the Cirque excels in providing superior breathability, while also being a staunch defender against wind and moisture. It's like having your very own climate control system, ensuring you stay comfortable regardless of the conditions.

In this review, I'll be diving deep into the details of the Stone Glacier Cirque Jacket, discussing its unique features, performance, and how it held up during my outdoor adventures. Whether you're a seasoned hunter looking for reliable gear or new to the world of outdoor clothing, this review aims to provide you with valuable insights to aid your decision-making process.

So, buckle up and join me on a journey through my Stone Glacier Cirque Jacket review. Let's see if this innovative piece of gear is the right fit for your next hunting expedition.

Stay tuned for the video to drop!

@robby denning

Attachments

• PXL_20221015_132645511.jpg
    PXL_20221015_132645511.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 148
  • PXL_20221027_161910046.jpg
    PXL_20221027_161910046.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 145
  • PXL_20221130_144043414.jpg
    PXL_20221130_144043414.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 150
  • PXL_20221130_144106027.jpg
    PXL_20221130_144106027.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 149
  • PXL_20221202_170759193.jpg
    PXL_20221202_170759193.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Are there any questions I can answer for you?

As for the the jacket, its the warmest soft shell I've ever used!
That was one of them, since it is a soft shell how warm is it? The softshell I currently have is nice but not very warm so have to layer. The fit is another thing that I am interested in, I am 6'4 and 195 so I am curious how the jacket would fit. Would I need a large or xl based on your opinion? Durability and versatility is another thing I am interested in. Being from TN, most of my use would not be for western hunting but if it is warm it may work for whitetail as well.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was one of them, since it is a soft shell how warm is it? The softshell I currently have is nice but not very warm so have to layer. The fit is another thing that I am interested in, I am 6'4 and 195 so I am curious how the jacket would fit. Would I need a large or xl based on your opinion? Durability and versatility is another thing I am interested in. Being from TN, most of my use would not be for western hunting but if it is warm it may work for whitetail as well.
Probably and XL it is not only athletic fit but its true to fit. I am 5'6" 160 and the medium fits me almost perfect.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it comparable to other softshells? I thought it was more of a synthetic puffy, comparable to an Arcteryx Atom.
Let's just put it this way, I didn't ever take soft shell jackets because I didn't see a point until I tarted using this jacket.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Interested to see the review. Looked at this jacket at SG last fall and to me it was a jacket I’d compare to other synthetic puffy jackets not a softshell which I associate with pieces like the Jetstream. Liked the jacket in the store just did not really need it at the time.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Youre right Its a synthetic puffy not a soft shell. Not sure why Zach is calling it a soft shell. Its a 15 denier nylon shell with 133 g/m of insulation.
I consider jackets without a specific purpose a soft shell jacket. I could be wrong, and I have been many times before, but in my opinion, it is a soft shell. It is not puffy with a specific use of insulation and warmth. It is not a rain layer with a specific purpose of being waterproof and it is not windproof so to me that makes it a soft shell.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
I consider jackets without a specific purpose a soft shell jacket. I could be wrong, and I have been many times before, but in my opinion, it is a soft shell. It is not puffy with a specific use of insulation and warmth. It is not a rain layer with a specific purpose of being waterproof and it is not windproof so to me that makes it a soft shell.
It is an insulation piece though. A soft shell is an actual design of a brushed polyester shell with fleece interior. Hence the term softshell. Insulation pieces in general are very windproof. They make windbreakers from single layer 10-20d nylon. The cirque jacket has two of these layers with insulation in between.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
The cirque jacket is designed and described, and listed on the website as a insulation piece. Its construction is the same as all my other insulation pieces. Perhaps i am missing something or maybe people from dry climates think synthetic insulation is not insulation because its not down or doesn't have baffles?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’m 6’2” and 185 lbs with long arms. I used this jacket last season.

For me the length in the arms and seat is perfect. Most jackets for me are too short in the arms. I HATE how short it is in the front. It’s like they made it for cowboys who want to show off their belt buckle haha.

It’s also on the slimmer fitting side I would say. Fits more like Patagonia and Arcteryx sizes over Firstlite and Kuiu. If you are between sizes I would highly recommend going to the larger size. I think I’ll probably sell my Large and get a XL. I could also use a touch more room on the shoulders so the XL will remedy that.

As a technical piece, it does its job very very well. Time will tell on durability as mine only has one season of hunting and a season of scouting. So far so good other than that short front.

Last edited:

grainhog

FNG
I like these, and the hooded vest, but dislike the fit of the hood on both. The hood should be more thoughtfully shaped especially to accommodate hats with brims in the front. Like, don't overthink it--just copy an Arcteryx hood. I also think both jacket and vest should zip open and closed from both the top and bottom--I'm willing to suffer the weight penalty for the extra vent and the improved comfort while seated or driving.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I like these, and the hooded vest, but dislike the fit of the hood on both. The hood should be more thoughtfully shaped especially to accommodate hats with brims in the front. Like, don't overthink it--just copy an Arcteryx hood. I also think both jacket and vest should zip open and closed from both the top and bottom--I'm willing to suffer the weight penalty for the extra vent and the improved comfort while seated or driving.
Don’t understand how Arcteryx and Patagonia can make the best hoods, compatible with helmets etc. and hunting companies give us the garbage we get.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Hood is why returned the vest. I was thinking i have an unusually long neck or something the fleece is the same i am thinking of removing the hood on it. Having two sg hoods on at the same time would not work at all.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is an insulation piece though. A soft shell is an actual design of a brushed polyester shell with fleece interior. Hence the term softshell. Insulation pieces in general are very windproof. They make windbreakers from single layer 10-20d nylon. The cirque jacket has two of these layers with insulation in between.
Roger thanks for the correction!