Steak Dinner- what’re you getting?

@Broomd is right, it isnt natural. Just because a practice has been adapted for decades does not make it natural. Same could be said for row crop ag as well. We can grow the crap out of some crop if we put enough synthetic fert and supplemental water on it. But it is not natural and is raping the life out of the very soils we depend on to feed the country. You want to see farming and ranching done as natural as possible, study up a bit on Gabe Brown's operation.
So feeding an animal corn and grain that grows from the ground that they will eat naturally anyways isn’t natural? Why don’t you ask any experienced butcher what they prefer? Answers may very some but I’ll bet a majority will agree that grain and corn fed is better.

I will also say not to feed an animal whole kernel corn or “popcorn”. They don’t process it well in their stomach. If it’s cracked or ground and mixed with natural wheat, barley, oats, etc. it will become a superior feed.

HUNTNUT

FNG
On the topic (but eating at home), I find that that my closest market for beef is usually best to hit around 3pm, later in the week (after the Wednesday ad deals) when I often find marked down T-bones, ribeyes, and strips for under $9 a lb. "reduced". It's usually choice grade and I find it funny that most people don't understand "tenderness" CAN be felt right through the package! If my thumb can't sink 1/2 way into the cut... it's TOUGH!

Tenderness is mostly genetic and meat today is graded that way as my buddy (with 350 head here in Kansas) sells 85% "choice" each year (the Tyson rep HAS his number!). He is meticulous about the cows he adds to his herd, and even makes his own feed (his mill is getting old though). I appreciate this as a 7th generation cattle rancher (retired 1994).

Beef (fat) is great, I use boxed Cargill fat for ALL my deer adding in the flavor of beef to all my deer I eat. I grind in 10% with my deer's rib meat every year. I will take a chunk of beef fat and reduce it before grilling a steak in the black iron skillet (like tonight, the back-strap off my 8 yr old buck shot Wednesday melted in my mouth!) Hey, I LOVE $25 a lb prime like anyone... but my Kansas deer and good beef fat are just as good... because they are eaten at home with an animal I harvested.

If I eat out, it's Texas Roadhouse. I order the 20 oz. prime rib (rare- seared one minute a side) and share bites with the wife. With bread, salads, and a few drinks each we usually leave out on about $75. The prime rib at any Texas Roadhouse (between Iowa and Taxes) has always been tender and they usually get it right (*sit at the bar- ask the bartender to make it happen- they usually will).

Sadly the old great steakhouses I grew up on (Zintner's in San Angelo brings great memories!) are all but gone down in Texas. Of couse the place isn't what it was when I was there 40 years ago- toll roads and all. But I am glad to get down there for pig hnting a few times a year- nowhere near the toll-roads ;)
Zentner’s gone now too. It was a pretty good steak.

Oregon

WKR
Cowboy
Lobster mac and cheese
Truffle steak fries
Pappy 12b or 10 on rocks, I may sub in a a good Duckhorn o Canvasback Cab
Not going to lie. I had to google exactly what the Cowboy cut was. Me Like Lots!
Your menu choice would be exactly like mine except I wouldn't know which brand of Cab to order, except I like cabs occasionally.
Pappy, I know exactly what that is.

My go to at the butcher every single time is a Chuck Eye. 14 ounces of heaven. $13.99 a pound and in my opinion better than a ribeye.

Those that choose to not eat beef and rely on our vast game stores, awesome for you. Less chance my butcher is sold out on Friday afternoon.
There is a reason Lewis and Clark's favorite meal wasn't elk or deer. Actually got sick and tired of eating elk. They craved fat. I get my fat from Chuck eyes. Once a week....I am thawing venison on the counter for tonight's grub.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Blasphemy.
Was raised in the Midwest on corn and grain fed beef--never knew then just how bad it was; a travesty.
Finally realized how beef should taste when we moved West, now we raise grass-fed beef.
And we pre-sell every ounce we raise.

Same could be said for game. Acorn or corn-fed deer doesn't even compare to natural grass and browsed deer and elk. It's why elk is so good. They are grass eaters.
This.

That Wagyu stuff is just a mouthful of fat. Grass-fed Red or Black Angus, or Brangus is all I want

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
2991EE2B-C667-4135-98DD-5731317D733B.jpegFrom that menu I would get the Waygu Cap steak medium. My wife would have the filet ruined (Gray). We would split the lobster Mac and cheese and a hunter potato. The rest would go to a good Cabernet.

I’m pretty happy normally with a good Waygu Cowboy:

Not going to lie. I had to google exactly what the Cowboy cut was. Me Like Lots!
Your menu choice would be exactly like mine except I wouldn't know which brand of Cab to order, except I like cabs occasionally.
Pappy, I know exactly what that is.

My go to at the butcher every single time is a Chuck Eye. 14 ounces of heaven. $13.99 a pound and in my opinion better than a ribeye.

Those that choose to not eat beef and rely on our vast game stores, awesome for you. Less chance my butcher is sold out on Friday afternoon.
There is a reason Lewis and Clark's favorite meal wasn't elk or deer. Actually got sick and tired of eating elk. They craved fat. I get my fat from Chuck eyes. Once a week....I am thawing venison on the counter for tonight's grub.

Variety is the spice of life!!! Fed prime Beef is hard to beat, and a special treat, just as a hard fought battle of a Bull or Buck.

I actually got turned on to the Duckhorn vineyards as it was a gift. All their vineyards are Offshoots of ducks names. I duck hunt

First, a good bourbon…. one sphere or cube of craft ice only…. if they offer it. My wife will wait on a glass of wine with the meal. Next, Cowboy cuts, medium rare/rare, for both of us. I’ll have the mushrooms d’jour with my steak and we’ll split the lobster mac & cheese (high probability of leftovers/take home of this.) I’ll ask the server for their recommendation for a Malbec. A glass each for both us with our steaks is plenty. Probably just rang up most of that $300 cash in my pocket, but the service was good so the server gets a generous tip even if I have to bust out the credit card. 2021 has been a challenging year in several ways, but we’ve been blessed too.

CJ19

WKR
Well boys and girls,

Its steak night. I picked up a tomahawk from a local beef producer. Im pretty excited as i have had his beef before and it was excellent. My usual for big meat is a wood fire sear then pellet grill. Any other suggestions? Will try to provide meat pron once i get it out and cooked.

Attachments

• 20220312_124927.jpg
    20220312_124927.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 20

CJ19

WKR
No wood sear. Had an emergency i had to deal with so straight onto the pellet grill. This was an exceptional steak. Cooked to an internal temp of 129f and let it rest for about 10 minutes. My wife is not a huge steak person but she was absolutely hooked too.

Attachments

• 20220312_202126.jpg
    20220312_202126.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220312_203606.jpg
    20220312_203606.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220312_202535.jpg
    20220312_202535.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
No wood sear. Had an emergency i had to deal with so straight onto the pellet grill. This was an exceptional steak. Cooked to an internal temp of 129f and let it rest for about 10 minutes. My wife is not a huge steak person but she was absolutely hooked too.
looks good enough to eat, or should I say ate.