Stalker stickbows input in grip being fairly novice

Geytre88

FNG
Hello all,

Looking for some input/feedback on medium vs low grip options for stalker. Ill start by stating my old favorite grip vs newer favorite grip coming from being a 20+ year compound crossover guy. Favorite old was the wood grip that was on the 2000 era mathews and more recently before switching over fully grew fond of a lower wrist ultraview grip.
With that in mind, i was indecisive when i ordered a stalker coyote and went with the standard medium keeping in mind i could get the grip reduced vs not be able to add back starting on a lower wrist.
I’ve reached three years with the coyote and would like opinions on six pack, snyder or jager grip if anyone has them.
Am not much to apply much heel when shooting but i find the rounded edges more difficult to be repeatable with what I have now. Thanks in advance.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Have you called South and asked him? I'd start there. He designed them and can comment on why/how/ dimensions.

I believe the Snyder grip was designed to be closer to a compound. But I'd still call South.

OP
G

Geytre88

FNG
I have not reached out to him and discussed the grip since initial purchase. Just looking for some feedback on here and that will be my next step or call and see if he has any leftie demos that fit the bill before sending mine back for grip modification.

Beendare

WKR
It's such an individual thing.....but I think the only guys that will prefer the low grip are coming from a hill style longbow.

The medium grips do everything a guys needs, they are good locators....then just get out and practice noting your hand pressure.

FWIW, too much heeling and my arrows start to fly funny. Same if I push too hard at the throat. It might be a worthy exercise to play with your grip while paper tuning to see how it affects arrow flight and to find the sweet spot- because yes, it does matter.

OP
G

Geytre88

FNG
It's such an individual thing.....but I think the only guys that will prefer the low grip are coming from a hill style longbow.

The medium grips do everything a guys needs, they are good locators....then just get out and practice noting your hand pressure.

FWIW, too much heeling and my arrows start to fly funny. Same if I push too hard at the throat. It might be a worthy exercise to play with your grip while paper tuning to see how it affects arrow flight and to find the sweet spot- because yes, it does matter.
Thanks for the input. Grips are a tricky thing kinda like not all large gloves fitting the same.

I have definitely noticed the difference in arrow flight when applying pressure or focusing on applying pressure in different areas of my current grip. Has me considering a grip clicker/trigger just to solidify that i am applying it the same and what feels most natural.

Do you think the low wrist is more a modern fad and not as applicable to guys that have made the switch from compound?

Low wrist if your coming from a long bow as mentioned. His medium grips are nice. All my bows have his 6 pak. Best grip for me of all time, it’s a mix of a yager and south’s input. I love them!

OP
G

Geytre88

FNG
Low wrist if your coming from a long bow as mentioned. His medium grips are nice. All my bows have his 6 pak. Best grip for me of all time, it’s a mix of a yager and south’s input. I love them!
Havent found any great detail of the 6 pak. Lots of praise but no one has really defined it that ive found in research.

Is it still of medium wrist without a hump in the middle and more pronounced edges. Thats about the best I could come up with looking at the pictures multiple times.

Thanks

Beendare

WKR
Fad? Shoot, I don’t know.

I can give you my experience is all;

I have shot everything from the D style longbows to super recurves ..and from low flat grips to high wrist. When tuning these, I have noticed that hand pressure has a big effect on tuning and arrow flight.

The low wrist flat grips were harder for me to be consistent, that perfect hand pressure on uphill, downhill and awkward hunting type shots. There is no locator like with the medium grip R/D or recurves.

I think this is why many folks like recurves…the grip itself makes hand pressure more consistent and with only a little effort is easy to get it perfect.

The only way to know is setup a paper tuner and shoot it with different grip pressure. Then when you get it shooting bullet holes, close your eyes and really feel that perfect pressure.

BTW, this works with a compound too…l

I’m a low wrist fella. That’s just what I prefer. I can shoot the med and highs but it’s not my preference. Have two stalkers and one on order. Call and talk to south. Remember you can’t make a low wrist a med wrist choose wisely. Well you can but it’s costly and time consuming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havent found any great detail of the 6 pak. Lots of praise but no one has really defined it that ive found in research.

Is it still of medium wrist without a hump in the middle and more pronounced edges. Thats about the best I could come up with looking at the pictures multiple times.

Thanks
It’s a medium to high, all flat on the back with solid edges for locators like a yager. It’s south’s custom grip he came up with. Very narrow throat which is awesome since I have small hands. Call South, he’s so nice and will break down all the grips for ya,

Wrench

WKR
Without trying to sound arrogant, I shoot them all well.

Grip is about minimal torque input and repeatable from shot to shot.

When I shoot my classic gripped toelkes which is as far from a high wrist as any, I look at repeatable pressure points. I always favor the web of my hand more than the palm.

I do like the sharp lines for reference, but honestly I can shoot well without them.

I find that for some reason I get more shoulder involved on my bow arm with lower grips.....but we're talking about very critical diagnosis.....it's uber minor.

I find the most important thing to my accuracy is to have an arrow fly true at 175fps and my brain will take care of the rest.

Border bows just posted an interesting video over on the youtubez on grip angle and what different pressure points do to the bow tiller. It's a fascinating video and worth a few minutes. All that said, you can tune any bow to different grip pressures, and I've found that a low grip with heel pressure stretches my point on distance. A higher wrist grip gives me a shorter point on with a given bow. If you plan to string walk, or shoot instinctive, a nice medium wrist angled compound style grip is nice, and middle of the road. high wrist grips are harder for me to shoot accurately.

Border bows just posted an interesting video over on the youtubez on grip angle and what different pressure points do to the bow tiller. It's a fascinating video and worth a few minutes. All that said, you can tune any bow to different grip pressures, and I've found that a low grip with heel pressure stretches my point on distance. A higher wrist grip gives me a shorter point on with a given bow. If you plan to string walk, or shoot instinctive, a nice medium wrist angled compound style grip is nice, and middle of the road. high wrist grips are harder for me to shoot accurately.
I have noticed bows with a lot of g10 in the handle or metal bows it doesn’t matter as much. Bareshaft tune doesn’t change nearly as much with grip pressure.

TX_Diver

WKR
I like the clum grip which I think is similar to the Snyder grip (flat) but a little wider.

I agree with calling south, but coming from a compound and really preferring flatter grips I've been happy with the clum grip on my RMS P2P riser (made by stalker).

I was not a huge fan of the stock satori grip which was more rounded and was harder for me to be repeatable with.

tradguy89

FNG
Clum or Snyder if youre coming from compound.

But like stated above, very few grips I don't get along with.

I do not like South’s standard grip he put on my coyote (standard low).
It’s quite clunky, and he puts his thumb grooves pointed downward.

The best standard grip I’ve tried is the medium jager 2.0. Sounds like the 6-pack may be a good bet.

I do not like South’s standard grip he put on my coyote (standard low).
It’s quite clunky, and he puts his thumb grooves pointed downward.

The best standard grip I’ve tried is the medium jager 2.0. Sounds like the 6-pack may be a good bet.
I had south make me a jager 2.0 with stippling on one of my wolverines and shot it for a few years and liked it. Then I bought a coyote with the 6pak and sold all my other bows haha. All I have now is his bows with the 6pak. Not bragging but I can not pick the bow up for 3 months and the arrows still find their way into the center on a rhinehart 18-1 at 20 yards in my shop.

That grip is just perfect for me. Very repeatable and it doesn’t matter if I heal the bow, or use the webbing of my hand for pressure bare shafts still fly true.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, South can do any grip you like with their computer modeling.

I had a riser made with the grip from my old Morrison riser that I liked. He said, 'just send me the riser, no problem'