Sportsman’s Warehouse

rclouse79

WKR
I was almost as surprised to find my Sportsman’s Warehouse no longer carries Havalon blades as I would have been to find my grocery store no longer carries milk.

Wellsdw

WKR
I was at sportsman’s the other day and I get the feeling the one near me in nc is closing. While incredible organized it was very low in stock. It had the same product all over the store in what appeared to be an attempt to fill spots

brick and mortar retail is suffering to varying degrees regardless of what your product lines are. less sales and higher rents/wages/utilities and higher overall expenses to keep the doors open. many companies are folding up everywhere and not a whole lot of new ones opening. no secret only the wealthy are doing well...everyone else just barely getting along if you are lucky.

I was at sportsman’s the other day and I get the feeling the one near me in nc is closing. While incredible organized it was very low in stock. It had the same product all over the store in what appeared to be an attempt to fill spots
That's every SW in America, I think? Mine has operated in that state of being for years.

The one I stopped by in Alaska had an excellent selection of bass and crappie rods, but pretty poor stock of anything that you might actually want to buy. The staff just said corporate micro(mis)manages everything

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
They quit carrying havalon years ago.

Just order a box of 60a blades straight from havalon.
I ended up doing that. I just figured it was a pretty popular item I would be able to pick up on my way out of town.

CorbLand

WKR
The one I stopped by in Alaska had an excellent selection of bass and crappie rods, but pretty poor stock of anything that you might actually want to buy. The staff just said corporate micro(mis)manages everything
They are not wrong. The one here lost about 50% of its employees (some had been then since it opened in 2014) in about 8 months. Mostly due to issues with corporate.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
The bass and crappie fishing up here was a well kept secret before SW let the cat out of the bag with their product displays.

nobody

WKR
@CorbLand hit it all on the head above. When the bass pro merger fell through, they panicked. That was their only plan forward, and now that it’s not happening, they don’t know what to do. Corporate leadership is a nightmare, and they’ve driven out all the long term employees with poor treatment, low wages, micromanagement, and every other manner of terrible business practices. I worked at ours for several years, and finally left about 18 months ago and couldn’t be happier. When I left, they were hiring people at higher wages than I was making, and when I asked for a raise I was told there wasn’t money in the budget for it. When I confronted them about the job listings with higher wages and told them I was just gonna quit and reapply to get the new wages, they told me I wasn’t allowed to do that. So I just left and never looked back. Most of their employees are clueless about anything outdoors related, and their inventory and prices usually suck compared with even Bass Pro.

I drive past 3 or 4 Sportsmans warehouses to go buy stuff at Scheels usually. Doesn’t matter to me that they are closer to me, it’s just not worth dealing with the poor customer service, lack of inventory, and incredible lack of knowledge by those who work there.

I hope I’m wrong, but I’ll be Sportsmans is defunct within 10 years.

hunterjmj

WKR
SW has sucked for so many years now. I haven't stepped foot in one for 2-3 years. What I can't find at my local mom and pop store I can usually find at Scheels.