Southern California. Bow Hunting locations

howdy yall ! grateful to have the insight of the kind folk on Rokslide !

I'm here about 30 minutes East of Los Angeles and almost 2 hours away from San Diego . my lady friend and I are looking to get into Hunting (specifically w bows and arrows)

we are more than willing to drive a few hours out to go to pristine hunting grounds and to camp there. any and all advice is welcome.

we are looking to Hunt Deer and any other large game . will be taking Archery classes soon and procuring our gear over time.

hoping to be pointed to any wonderful hunting locations and any certificates we may need to do this right !

all links to articles are warmly welcomed ! have a fabulous day yall

BFR

WKR
I’m not one to be too nit picky but here goes, work on your capitalization skills.
Now, for your questions;
1 - get your Hunter Safety Certifications,
2 - go get some USFS maps & BLM maps, they have a load of info.
3 - get a copy of the hunting regulations, they have even more info.
4 - if you’re planning to hunt this year you’re behind the curve, better plan for next year.
5 - wait, this should be number 1, GET YOUR GEAR! Then practice, practice, practice, then practice some more.

Unfortunately there are no pristine places left, best you can hope for is not trashed and no permanent residents. So, that said and since this year is likely out just grab maps indicated above and go camping and or fishing. You will find some places that you enjoy and some you might want to stay clear of. Either way have fun, and good luck.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
There are some great archery ranges/ clubs in Socal With some good events.
Archery is all about form…you can get good quickly with a compound, not so with trad gear. Its important not to acquire bad habits, those can bite you hard later on.

Bowhunting is better in a target rich environment…..none of that in socal. You have to really know the species to be successful.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Good advice so far. Google local archery ranges and go there to practice and hopefully meet other hunters. Be a good dude and ask for any advice they have. They won't tell you where they hunt, but they might share what type of terrain or area you should look for to find game. Getting to meet other hunters in person is 100 times more conducive to accurate and helpful information than online IMO.

It's a long journey getting into hunting for yourself and not learning from your parents. But it's worth it and a fun time. Took me a few years to get everything I needed and finally start finding bucks.

If you like archery and want to hunt that way, that's cool. But it's a lot harder to be successful than with a rifle. Especially in CA where the big game animals can be few and far between.

Good luck!