Moving to Missoula, MT… bad idea?

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
Missoula is a mixed bag for me. Really like the sporting goods stores there (got my suppressor at Missoula Scheels) and good restaurants. Aside from the blue hair libtards the only negative thing I will say is the way the city is laid out. Lots of goofy diagonal one way streets between brooks and reserve.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm an old Griz alum. My wife and I lived there a couple of different times (decades ago). We still have a lot of relatives that live there (including my oldest daughter's family). My wife has brought up moving there again a few times. I told her I'd agree to move there with one caveat- they tear out Reserve St :ROFLMAO:

In reality, there are far more places worse to live than places that are better to live than Missoula.

Scoot

WKR
I'm an old Griz alum. My wife and I lived there a couple of different times (decades ago). We still have a lot of relatives that live there (including my oldest daughter's family). My wife has brought up moving there again a few times. I told her I'd agree to move there with one caveat- they tear out Reserve St :ROFLMAO:

In reality, there are far more places worse to live than places that are better to live than Missoula.
Beep beep beep! Homer alert!!! :ROFLMAO:

Haha- I haven't been in Missoula too much, but my impression is that mtwarden is spot on. Also, the reports of "it's just not what it used to be" are probably accurate for Missoula... and everywhere else in the nation.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
Take it for what it is—a Montana city that is growing and changing. The major pro to that is that you’ve got little kids and, relative to a lot of other parts of Montana, Missoula has excellent resources for youngsters.

As others have said, as long as you can afford it and you have appropriate expectations there are far worse places to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSnave

FNG
Heh. Grew up in the Bitterroot, Bozeman grad, now live in Helena... Missoula is against my religion. Especially Reserve St. Yeah, they have problems but so does everywhere else.

There are far worse places to live, especially for the outdoor oriented type. Pretty much whatever you want to do in the outdoors is available. Heck, at the right time of year you can even surf in Mizzou.

Agree with some of the recent comments. I think we'd be pretty hard pressed to find our ideal spot, with gorgeous nature, lots of hunting opportunities, inexpensive housing and cost of living, people who are simply good people and live by some form of the golden rule, etc...

I'm down in the Bitterroot and personally prefer not to live in a "city", but if one is going to, Missoula is still fine. When I go there for shopping or even a Griz game every now and then I don't feel I'm whacked over the head with politics, so if you're not hyper sensitive, this would not be a deciding factor for me.

It's actually pretty easy to not be affected by extreme political views and simply see the good people who are around, so I'd focus more on considering the affordability, family life, outdoor opportunities and see if it's a good fit for you.

Recommend picking your priorities, being realistic and enjoy the experience.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know the details on your new job, but housing cost, property taxes, general services, vehicles, etc will be considerably more expensive in MT compared to GA. For a 600k home will pay roughly 4k a year or more in taxes, plus financing a home will take away a lot of disposable income. Missoula and MT are nice but it’s a very difficult place for people to make a living or even get by. So many families are kind of in a desperate situation with the housing crisis and increasing property values. You can live like a king in eastern Montana on a 50k year income, a 150k income in western Montana doesn’t go very far. Best of luck in your journey

ewade07

WKR
I don’t know the details on your new job, but housing cost, property taxes, general services, vehicles, etc will be considerably more expensive in MT compared to GA. For a 600k home will pay roughly 4k a year or more in taxes, plus financing a home will take away a lot of disposable income. Missoula and MT are nice but it’s a very difficult place for people to make a living or even get by. So many families are kind of in a desperate situation with the housing crisis and increasing property values. You can live like a king in eastern Montana on a 50k year income, a 150k income in western Montana doesn’t go very far. Best of luck in your journey
No doubt. Miles City would be great if you like the plains and want to live the simple life. I just read somewhere that the homeless population in Bozeman is sky rocketing. Doesnt come as much of a surprise, that towns definitely not what it used to be.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I have lived in Western Mt for 23 years, currently living in Missoula. Like any other town, Missoula has issues but also has a lot to offer. The only good thing about Reserve Street is Strait 6 Archery. We have raised 3 kids here in Western MT and all are on a good path, except for converting from Griz to Cats.

Yes, Missoula is expensive but still better than a lot of other places.

If you have questions about Missoula send me a PM, happy to help.

Go Griz!

Born and raised in western MT and still live here. Missoula is now mainly a melting pot of people who are not from here. So they see everything through the lens of where they came from. To the Californian, it’s not overcrowded. To the Washingtonian, it’s not that liberal. To the Virginian, the Elk hunting is awesome. But as someone who has seen decades of this place: the trajectory is not good.

Tms2334

FNG
Born and raised in western MT and still live here. Missoula is now mainly a melting pot of people who are not from here. So they see everything through the lens of where they came from. To the Californian, it’s not overcrowded. To the Washingtonian, it’s not that liberal. To the Virginian, the Elk hunting is awesome. But as someone who has seen decades of this place: the trajectory is not good.

I agree, good way of explaining it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to school at MSU, UI, NDSU, UM and others. I can't bring myself to cheer for any of them let alone even watch the games. Sorry folks. I dislike sports.

Mt Al

WKR

We have raised 3 kids here in Western MT and all are on a good path, except for converting from Griz to Cats.

You're clearly an excellent parent, raising kids who make good decisions!

Hate typing this: good luck griz in Frisco, could see UM easily winning the chipper.

Back on track:
Missoula is a great place to live, the political climate hasn't changed much in the last 40 years and people of every political leaning can live there just fine.