Optimal Nutrition while Base Camp Hunting

howdy yall ! grateful for the insight from all the kind folk here at Rokslide !

curious as to how you guys go about maintaining optimal nutrition while out there during the Hunt? I know during camping trips the absence of luxuries has us par down to the bare bones. but if we cut too much out our Energy levels from the food we consume can dwindle if we are left eating overly processed boxed meals.

was hoping for some staple meals you all like to enjoy out there in the Wild? whether those meals have to be warmed up or not its all welcome here

or if there are any superfood powders you guys enjoy out here in the Wild would Love to hear about it !

have a great day yall !

Welcome to Rockslide, Chris.

This may serve to be unpopular, but if you have the luxuries of a base camp, I'd imagine you can just take with you the stuff you enjoy and deem 'healthy' at home?

Recovery as it pertains to nutrition and making it through a 7-day hunt (or entire season for that matter) is all about providing yourself with enough fuel to keep you moving, protein to recover the muscle, and filling those blanks on a menu with foods that personally sit well with you.

The latter will be highly individual. For some guys that's gummy bears and PBJs (me) and others swear that cheese, butter in their coffee, and eggs fried in bacon grease make them feel prime. Neither guy is more right or wrong.

Take what you like.
Eat enough to recover and keep moving.
Enjoy the hunt.

Eat for fuel. I'd shoot for 450 or so grams of carbs per day. Oatmeal and peanut butter is super easy. Bagels, english muffins, a carb and electrolyte drink. All of those are good sources of carbs.

LoggerDan

WKR
Fry two lbs of good bacon, meaty, not crisp. Dont drain that grease. Chop it up, the bacon and let er sit in that grease while you’re busy.

two boxes of cornbread stove topping. Make it just a bit wetter than the box says. Chop upgreen onions, garlic or what have you.

get some big size muffin tinsand grease em with your bacon fat. Add the bacon, grease and chopped onions and stuff to the stuffing and mix it real good.
Fill them tins up with the stuff and crack an egg over each one of them muffins and bake them in a hot oven. 350-375 ought to do. It dont take them long to bake through. Check em.

these hold up really good in a pack or at camp. Hold together good as well. They fill your belly up decent, taste good cold or warmed upby a fire, stay good to eat for awhile, give you good energy and it cheap

dtrkyman

WKR
Too much nut butter or nuts in general lock me up on multiple day hunts, base camping I would virtually eliminate them! ymmv.

Optimal nutrition, in my opinion, is to stick as close as you can to what and how you were eating in getting ready for your hunt. Keeping ratios of macros similar but increasing them across the board due to the increased output. For example, if you are a 70% fat, 30% protein, 0% carb person while at home and training then yes increase your overall calorie consumption for the hunt (especially a base camp) while keeping the percentages similar. If your a 20% fat, 30% protein, 50% carb person then stick with that. Some people might shift their macros for a hunt but in my experience my body responds best if I keep it similar.