Truck / SUV suited for Snowy Icy Roads

kpk

WKR
If you're talking vehicles: Subaru with snow tires. Seriously. My WRX was way better than any truck or SUV I've ever come across, and I've done a LOT of snow driving.

Beyond that, just get good snow tires. That's the biggest differentiator in snow / icy conditions.

I agree. I drive an 18 WRX with Blizzaks for a car. It's honestly ridiculous how much snow that thing will go through.

mcseal2

WKR
I like my old 98 Suburban better than anything else I've drove for those conditions. The auto-4wd works pretty well for that. The longer wheelbase and extra weight on the back end helps me keep straight better than my trucks or 88 Jimmy (like a K5 Blazer). It has a factory limited slip. I run Cooper ST Maxx tires.

The old 93 Chevy 3/4 ton with the locker in the rear axle is great in snow around the ranch, but on ice or paved roads I prefer the Suburban.

Good tires and smart driving are more important than the vehicle as others have said.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
so far in my line of sites is a 3rd gen (96-99) 4runner with rear locker 4wd . uncertain if this is overkill for I will be driving on paved roads that have recently ish been snow plowed .
May seem counter intuitive, but I really don’t like lockers on icy roads. Deep snow, is/would be awesome. Icy off camber mountain roads, no thanks. If both rear tires are locked and spin at the same speed, you lose traction on any kind of side slope and your rear end tends to slide sideways following gravity toward the downhill side of the road. Possible off the edge of the road which could really ruin the day. Watched my dad do this years ago, thankfully it was into a clear cut and not a steep canyon. Chains on the rear if you have a locker or LS are a good safety precaution. A selectable electronic or air locker is sweet, since you can lock it only when needed.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
We have a 2022 outback XT and it’s really nothing special in the snow in my opinion. I agree with the previous comment that they feel squirrelly in the snow. The traction control is pathetic compared to my 4runner which seems to drive itself out a bind 99% of the time. Hell the outback was stuck in the driveway twice.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the specs, for the other people. Have you ever driven a Subaru or been in one in deep snow? I have. They aren't high/heavy enough to push through the deep heavy snow. There is more to snow than the lowest point.

You could wait until they plow the road or maybe deep snow isn't something you'll ever see.
This exactly. Those who love Subarus don’t use them where it really snows. They great in 6”. They are useless in 18”.

dromero

FNG
It really depends on how Western you wanna get with it. I run an Excursion on 40" mud terrains with air lockers front and rear. I can probably go alot of places that a Subaru or low clearance rig won't go. That same Subaru will out perfom my Excursion on Icy roads any day of the week. Your best bet for deep snow performance is light weight, clearance, and as big a tire that you can fit. Air down those tires to 15-20psi and don't forget a shovel, winch, or a buddy with a tow strap. Toyotas/Rangers on 35-40" can go quite a few places.

Attachments

• 60289599_10156188339146269_4686562257767759872_o.jpg
    60289599_10156188339146269_4686562257767759872_o.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 20

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my 06 Subaru impreza sedan since 2006. Daily driver and original owner. It's been lowered slightly with a modified suspension, riding at around an STi height. I've never gotten stuck anywhere on any adventure, even deep in Colorado blizzard mountain conditions as an inexperienced teen. Even high centered on snow I can usually just plow through almost everything with a manual gearbox. I can only recall one time that I spun out on black ice, but even running exclusively AS tires, I never failed to make it anywhere I drove to or back. Nowadays it sits in a storage garage, even up to a year at a time. I reconnect the battery and it fires up like confidently every single time. Basically everything on it still works. 28 mpg is nothing to scoff at either. I've thought about selling it several times, and just can't ever bring myself to. It's the best and most reliable car I've ever owned.

I bought a lifted 2000 4Runner (gen 3, 4wd, locking diff) last year for my hunting rig. Despite the legendary reliability and meticulous service records and care from the previous owner, it's had a few issues that I haven't been totally thrilled about, but par for the course on old used vehicles. Overall, I like it so far with a few caveats. The gas mileage sucks at around 20 mpg. The V6 lacks power, and struggles to climb steep mountain highways or accelerate on flats. The high center of gravity (I have about a 4" lift) makes it feel a little tippy in corners or drifting. If I took corners remotely as aggressively as I regularly do in my Subaru, I'm confident I would roll it. It's a different vehicle. Not nearly as much fun to drive as a daily, but it'll take me places I could only dream of before with its clearance. Narrow enough to fit in tight single track roads. Comfortable to sleep in with all my gear and a cooler. Tons of aftermarket parts. I think it was a good buy, but over priced in the used market. I wish there was a manual version with the locking diff.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Northern Alberta out in the sticks. Along the saddle hills range. Typically we get 5-7 ft of snowfall /year. My off road setup is a 3/4 ton truck w duratracks and recovery equipment. Tire chain, 10k winch up front ( can be used off the receiver hitch) track grabbers, shovel, axe, lift all + tire attachment, 30ft chain, pull pal, and compressor/ tire patch kits. Good tires dont make up for silly risks. Learning how to drive in snow and ice is key.. my family vehicle is a yukon xl w awd and i commute in a hinda hrv awd, on roads these have never ever been an issue. Run good winter tires stay on roads never have an issue. 40% of our driving is gravel roads. For getting into the back country and off road the truck has never not gotten me any where i want to go. Prepare for a worst case scenario though and you be fine.

tracker12

WKR
I drove my wife's Subaru in the snow one time. I didn't feel comfortable at all in that thing. It seemed awfully squirrely to me, and that was with winter tires. I'm always much more confident in my 4wd trucks, seem to always have better traction and feel.
I just turned over 233000 on my Outback and it is way better in snow than my 4x4 truck with that light backend

tracker12

WKR
This exactly. Those who love Subarus don’t use them where it really snows. They great in 6”. They are useless in 18”.
Who really drives around on 18” of snow. Not in California that’s for sure

tracker12

WKR
Yes used to live near there and when 18” are on the road no one is driving around

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Who really drives around on 18” of snow. Not in California that’s for sure
And I had a Subaru for one season, so I speak from my experience in deeper snow. Sold it and bought a 4runner. That is a great vehicle for everything.

tracker12

WKR
Ever been to Truckee? More snow than anyplace. 36” in 24 hours is normal.
Lived in Fallon NV for several years and fished and ski in Truckee all the time. Glad you guys are proud of the snow but you still are not driving on the roads until they are plowed at those depths. Truckee did get a banner year of n=snow last season. 601”. pretty impressive

Im not advocating a Subaru over a 4Runner. Hard to compare the two as the Toyo is a 4x4 vehicle unless you buy the mom model.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Also, for me.......I much prefer a manual transmission for snow and ice driving as well. Actually, for all driving (except bumper to bumper stop and go), but definitely for the snow and ice.

Terrapin

WKR
My family has had 8 Toyota & 8 Subarus (and a couple minivans & Explorers). We live in rural N Idaho & traveled for hockey all winter. For snow less than ~8 inches we pick the Subaru or Toyota AWDs every time. Once the snow gets deeper than that we preferred our Tundra and Sequoia.

A heavy Subaru or AWD Toyota (Highlander or RAV4) with aggressive studded tires is virtually unstoppable until you hit deep snow and slush.

The real trucks with true four wheel drive can go better in deep snow, but are more skittish on slick roads… once the break loose, they really go sideways. My family has gone in the ditch more often in the bigger rigs than the smaller rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk