Why Match/Target Bullets For Hunting

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
I guess the U.S. Army lied to me for many years. Is the above what they told you in all of the International Humanitarian Law and Law of War training you attended? I also never once laid eyes on a bullet that wasn't an FMJ.
Mk118LR and MK262 are OTM's.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Those are FMJs disguised as hollow point match bullets and aren’t the same critter as the match bullets discussed in this thread by a long shot.
Yes, but they're technically not an FMJ. Their likelihood of fragmenting and causing significant trauma is worlds higher than a traditional FMJ. They work well on meaty 2 leggers, much better than FMJ's. I don't advocate SMK's for a hunting bullet, but for combat they're far superior to a traditional FMJ.

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
Yes, but they're technically not an FMJ. Their likelihood of fragmenting and causing significant trauma is worlds higher than a traditional FMJ. They work well on meaty 2 leggers, much better than FMJ's. I don't advocate SMK's for a hunting bullet, but for combat they're far superior to a traditional FMJ.
Two leggers have never been my thing so I can’t speak to that. I do use SMKs for practice. Have never hunted with them. Only passing on what I’ve seen from gel tests and heard from others. I am a big fan of TMKs and ELDMs for hunting and I’m glad to see this thread come back up again.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Two leggers have never been my thing so I can’t speak to that. I do use SMKs for practice. Have never hunted with them. Only passing on what I’ve seen from gel tests and heard from others. I am a big fan of TMKs and ELDMs for hunting and I’m glad to see this thread come back up again.
Absolutely, SMK's are superb practice rounds. I use them almost exclusively for practice. Mk262's are my go to ammo in my AR's. Defensively as well, I don't reload for my AR's and they are more than suitable for a defensive load outside the home. Inside the home its a 53gr VMAX. I agree thoroughly for hunting, ELDM's and TMK's are superb. One cannot go wrong with them so long as you can shoot them well. If ya can't no bullet of any sort will make up for that difference.