Sonora Recommendations

Jarhead

FNG
Any experience or recommendations for Sonora guides/outfitters? I understand it’s hunting not killing, but I’m looking for someplace with real potential for deer over 180 or over 30 wide, and am willing to hold out and chance going home empty handed.

thanks for any experiences you can share.

jolemons

WKR
I do not. However, I do know that many of the monster bucks posted on social media from Sonora are high fence animals. I've heard that it is common for the high fence operations in Mexico to be somewhat deceptive about being free range. If you're not into high fence hunting, that would be something to investigate with whichever outfit you choose. Good luck with the search.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Jarhead

Jarhead

FNG
Thanks.....that sure would suck to get there and find a high fence. Appreciate the heads up!

No experience with them but I follow an Instagram account for the El Chapparal Ranch and the kill some absolute giants. If you’ve got Instagram check them out.

jolemons

WKR
No experience with them but I follow an Instagram account for the El Chapparal Ranch and the kill some absolute giants. If you’ve got Instagram check them out.
El Chapparal has a 4500 acre high fence where most of those bucks come from. They do have a low fence operation, but that isn't where the giants are getting killed.

El Chapparal has a 4500 acre high fence where most of those bucks come from. They do have a low fence operation, but that isn't where the giants are getting killed.

Ah gotcha thanks for the information. I’d love to hunt Sonora one day but don’t want a high fence hunt.

Xmanjk

FNG
Good to know as well had never heard of Sonora being a high fence location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarhead,

Checkout Sonoran Pro Hunts. Your goal of a 180+ or 30" free range buck is doable if you go with them. If you have instagram you can checkout his page @brianbundricksph

As for the high fence discussion, yes there are several high fence operations down there with El Chapparal and Wade Lemon Hunting being the most well known operations. They both offer high fence and free range hunts though there are many rumors/stories about whether all their "free range" bucks are actually wild. You can usually tell the difference in a mature high fence buck vs free range buck pretty easy just by looking at their face. Those high fence bucks have an abnormally narrow/slender long looking nose (from never/seldom fighting). Mature free range bucks are usually roman nosed, scarred, and have sliced ears, chipped antler points, etc. Check out El Chapparal on instagram and you'll see what I mean.

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from there a couple weeks ago. Had a lot of fun but it is a tough hunt. We drove from sunup to sundown and glassed mountain tops looking for shooters. It is definitely a great place to go to kill a big buck but it is far from guaranteed like many seem to think. I killed on the fourth day on the last few minutes of my evening hunt. It was slow due to crazy wind and higher temperatures slowing the rut down. I will definitely go back.

Outdoorjoe318

Lil-Rokslider
Contact Drummond Lindsey. He's a buddy of mine tell him Joe sent you. He kills studs down there and has been doing it for years. If I recall correctly, he killed (guided) the biggest free range Mexico deer in 2004 and 05. PM me if you need his contact info.

Brado16

WKR
Bumping this back up, anyone else have anyone they have hunted with recently south of the border you can recommend or steer clear from?

Bumping this back up, anyone else have anyone they have hunted with recently south of the border you can recommend or steer clear from?
Haven’t been but Jay Scott started offering mule deer hunts this year or last. I’ve talked to him several times and seems to have a great reputation. I wouldn’t hesitate going on any of his hunts.

Been going down the past couple years. I think anyone who thinks Sonora is all high fence, has obviously never been there. Way harder hunting than most of the U.S states I've hunted. Killed these 2 bucks last week.

Attachments

• 20230122_182434.jpg
    20230122_182434.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 20230119_122034.jpg
    20230119_122034.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 102

WRO

WKR
Contact Drummond Lindsey. He's a buddy of mine tell him Joe sent you. He kills studs down there and has been doing it for years. If I recall correctly, he killed (guided) the biggest free range Mexico deer in 2004 and 05. PM me if you need his contact info.

I don’t think drums doing much down there now. He’s a buddy of mine as well, Guys a 10.

jim8521

FNG
One thing I notice with Mexico is what they call Uma may appear free ranges but they deer may be raised like cattle and turned loose. I found if you look at the authorization permit mexico govt give the Uma it list if the deer or sheep truly are wild or ranched like cattle.

They use to have a different color tag for the sheep and fws told me there was a different code on ranch deer and sheep. But seems mexico did away with that to appease some hunters that couldn't submit their animals for B&C records.

Any experience or recommendations for Sonora guides/outfitters? I understand it’s hunting not killing, but I’m looking for someplace with real potential for deer over 180 or over 30 wide, and am willing to hold out and chance going home empty handed.

thanks for any experiences you can share.
Do not ever use Todd Rice and Sonoran Outfitters period