So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

Jimbee

WKR
I'm probably going to help create longer wait times for myself, but I've got to pass this along to all you fine gents...
Just spoke with Thunder Beast and if your muzzle is at least .56 (IIRC) they have developed a CB to specifically direct mount to 9/16" threads. This is a no flare or other contraptions mount, true DT. They said that they have had multiple people launch their suppressors with 1/2" threads.
About $120, and if you have a new in package CB, they'll swap it out for this specialty CB. Otherwise you're out the cost of the new CB also. You can't buy this CB seperately, and you have to ship your gun to them or Milehigh to get this done. It butts up against the muzzle, which they recrown, and if you already have 1/2" like me, you'll have to be willing to lose .6" of barrel length.
Sounds like a much more rigid, and slightly lighter setup.
Should this be it's own thread to get the word out?
Can you put a wrench on the cb mount so that when it gets stuck in your can you have a way to remove it? I'm guessing not. I know a couple guys that have had issues with this. The mount made by Hansohn Brothers seems way better to me and it's available in 1/2 and 5/8 threads.

Trackselk

WKR
Can you put a wrench on the cb mount so that when it gets stuck in your can you have a way to remove it? I'm guessing not. I know a couple guys that have had issues with this. The mount made by Hansohn Brothers seems way better to me and it's available in 1/2 and 5/8 threads.
I doubt it. If cleaning isn't an issue I'll just have them rockset or I'll locktite it

Jimbee

WKR
I doubt it. If cleaning isn't an issue I'll just have them rockset or I'll locktite it
Myself and my buddy both had loctite come loose and had to clean threads, remount, wait and after a few tries got the mounts out. I've since started using some antiseize specifically for supressors. If I was you, I'd avoid the cb mounts.
Edit: Griffin Armament anti seize

Trackselk

WKR
Myself and my buddy both had loctite come loose and had to clean threads, remount, wait and after a few tries got the mounts out. I've since started using some antiseize specifically for supressors. If I was you, I'd avoid the cb mounts.
Edit: Griffin Armament anti seize
What flavor of locktite did you use, and did you shake it first? Oh, and did you strip the surface first?
Lastly, was that on bolt guns low volume shooting (didn't get hot), or semi autos?
I have some oil resistant locktite (green) that might survive gun oil. Just trying to figure out what to start with, I appreciate any info!

-yeah, antisieze would be annoying

Jimbee

WKR
What flavor of locktite did you use, and did you shake it first? Oh, and did you strip the surface first?
Lastly, was that on bolt guns low volume shooting (didn't get hot), or semi autos?
I have some oil resistant locktite (green) that might survive gun oil. Just trying to figure out what to start with, I appreciate any info!
I usually blast everything with brake kleen. I used red high strength lok tite. Don't know if I shook it or not. I do know that the cb mount was really stuck in the suppressor and it took a strap wrench and the barrel in a vise to free it. It was a last ditch effort before I sent it off to Thunderbeast to have it removed. Maybe I didn't do a great job cleaning the threads on the initial install, or maybe it was the anti seize I initially used? Either way, having a means to put a wrench on the mount is important to me, plus it's $80 vs $125 for the cb mount and I imagine it weighs less.
Low volume shooting

Trackselk

WKR
Yeah, antisieze is some greasy stuff, not sure if brake clean will strip in off quickly or not.

I'm going to see what TB has to say about this, hopefully they have a good solution. I'll probably just use my copper colored antisieze on the barrel side, and blue, orange, red locktite on the CB in that order. I'm obsessive, so I'll check that it's snug constantly!

Trackselk

WKR
Corrected the Tbac CB DT option (they don't call that DT) minimum muzzle diameter to .565" from .56" in my earlier post. I forgot the 5 thousandths...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going back to the action itself, going to see if I can find someone would do something along these lines.

KSkxe3U.png

also might have missed it, but did anyone have luck get their bolt fluted?

Trackselk

WKR
Going back to the action itself, going to see if I can find someone would do something along these lines.

KSkxe3U.png

also might have missed it, but did anyone have luck get their bolt fluted?
Kampfeld is fluting and cerakoting the bolt on mine any day now. I should have it home and on the scale soon. You might ask him if he's willing to cut the action.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kampfeld is fluting and cerakoting the bolt on mine any day now. I should have it home and on the scale soon. You might ask him if he's willing to cut the action.

Good deal. Looking forward to seeing it.

If I could get everything done in one deal would be nice- have the bolt fluted, barrel fluted and the action shave a bit.

I was very happy with the bolt he did on one my M70’s :)

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I think we need a picture of that full rifle!

Well, ya see, I put the Leica 1.5-8x32 on it Friday and it looked huuugggee lol. To the point that it bothered me. 12" long with a 30mm tube, and 14.3 oz. I regretted that, even though its an awesome scope. So, yesterday I snagged an 8.5 oz Leupold 2-7x28 with 1" tube and 10" long to put on it that should be here tomorrow. Will get some pics then.

But then...what about the Leica? Bought the stainless Savage 116 270 with a B&C and a nice walnut stock in the classifieds here this morning...likely pop it back into the walnut stock...after sending the barreled action to Jes to rebore to 35 Whelen and then put the Leica on it 👹

Levans2

FNG
Barreled action is on the was to JES, supposed to get there Monday. Decided to do fore end surgery tonight. Pre surgery:

View attachment 249855

Post surgery, pre-sanding:

View attachment 249857

Apologize for side way pics btw...

Didn’t lose a ton of weight, probably net another 0.05oz after sanding later I’d guess. But, it will make it look a little less crazy with the 16.5” barrel ha.
What did you use on the forend after cutting it down?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Alright, here it is. Hope to hunt with it this weekend. This is slung with empty mag. Also have a new sling stud on the way to drop the Spartan adapter, prob 3/4 of an oz there or so. Forgive my dirty work table err pool table.

D22C74D6-73BD-421A-9C2E-42A70176F495.jpeg49037B29-1889-46D1-A123-53BE8C27F090.jpeg

Trackselk

WKR
Just back from Kampfeld today. With and without the factory bolt handle. What was the original weight anyhow? If anyone wants this factory bolt handle cerakoted in sniper green just let me know and I'll mail it off.
-and the whole barreled action with the 5/8 flare for suppressor. Now off to MPI for new stock.

Attachments

• 20230204_162343.jpg
    20230204_162343.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230204_162353.jpg
    20230204_162353.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230204_170548.jpg
    20230204_170548.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bolt came out very nice! :)

What caliber is your Hunter? (long or short action)

Mine is a short action (.308)- my notes show the factory bolt handle as 1.3 oz (you're showing 1.4- so in the ballpark), the ti handle handle I purchased off the guy on 24 hr is 0.6 oz (savings of 0.7 oz)

My factory bolt and handle is now showing 8.7 oz total, so factory bolt (short action) and handle should be ~ 9.4 oz, bolt alone ~ 8.1 oz.

Thinking the cerakote shouldn't add much weight at all.

If anyone wants to weigh their complete factory bolt weight that would probably be useful.