So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

Trackselk

WKR
One more try….struck out this morning.

View attachment 512352
Pretty sure Karl was willing to start the fluting way before the barrel stamping, just for reference for those wanting maximum weight loss. He mentioned that I'd lose the 6.5 creedmoor on the side if I wanted to go that far. Then again, with a .358 round, that might have been a limiting factor due to safety/ thickness. FWIW

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Pretty sure Karl was willing to start the fluting way before the barrel stamping, just for reference for those wanting maximum weight loss. He mentioned that I'd lose the 6.5 creedmoor on the side if I wanted to go that far. Then again, with a .358 round, that might have been a limiting factor due to safety/ thickness. FWIW
Oh he wiped out the original markings, all of it. JES did that stamp. Guess I better keep my dogs inside!

Trackselk

WKR
Oh he wiped out the original markings, all of it. JES did that stamp. Guess I better keep my dogs inside!
Makes sense, so I might be crazy on this one😆 although I don't understand your dog expression?? I even googled it 😶

jpndave

FNG
Well, after closer examination there's a couple things that aren't extra pretty, but make no difference functionality wise. Not sure if his CNC? (I assume) went wild or it's just how he was able to make it work with his equipment, but notice in the pics that there's one strait cut, and one little "bonus area" carved away. I'm happy to have the extra material gone, and you can't see these cuts unless you remove the bolt from the gun.
-Ascent has much more aggressive cuts, and weighs the same as the hunter bolt with it's ti/carbon handle. Too bad we can't buy the ascent bolts! I would send a pic to Karl to see if he can copy the ascent fluting. I'd be happy to send him my ascent bolt if that helps, just let me know.
-it's tough to tell in the pic, but the ascent cuts are a lot deeper.
That's interesting how he addressed the ejector. I like the Wrought Iron like @ChrisAU had done to his barrel. The bottom of that looks like it was a mistake on some of those cuts. I wonder if he does all the CRF like that with the slot? The others I have seen stop and leave that track untouched. The Sako at the bottom of this page is an example.

Trackselk

WKR
That's interesting how he addressed the ejector. I like the Wrought Iron like @ChrisAU had done to his barrel. The bottom of that looks like it was a mistake on some of those cuts. I wonder if he does all the CRF like that with the slot? The others I have seen stop and leave that track untouched. The Sako at the bottom of this page is an example.
I agree, even the "strait" line cut isn't strait, but it's all cosmetic, and luckily out of sight. I would be annoyed if I could see it in the live position. After seeing that the factory ascent bolt is lighter, I'd see if Karl or anyone could mimic it, if I was to do it again. I think it's a half ounce difference, not huge, but I love how the ascent bolt looks also...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
LRI's verbiage at the bottom of the page is confusing- they state fluting is limited to push feed only, then go on to discuss doing a Sako.

LRI will do a Kimber? Chris is this where you had your bolt done (LRI) or Kampfeld?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
LRI's verbiage at the bottom of the page is confusing- they state fluting is limited to push feed only, then go on to discuss doing a Sako.

LRI will do a Kimber? Chris is this where you had your bolt done (LRI) or Kampfeld?

I have not had my bolt done. @Trackselk had Kampfeld do his.

jpndave

FNG

I don't know if LRI will do the Kimber bolts. I brought up asking them back in post #112 then guys started sending stuff to Kampfeld. I reference LRI as they go over the obstacles doing the CRF/Mauser claw & mechanical ejector bolts and potential solutions. I have a Pre-64 Model 70 bolt here with the anti bind bolt I can get a photo of. That feature as LRI mentioned is a no go but the unfluted portion the ejector rides on should be doable on the Kimbers. What does the factory Ascent bolt look like on the bottom? You can see the part of the bolt directly behind the ejector cutout if you look at your bolt. If it has been cycled much you can see where it rides.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ahhhh- I read wrought iron and thought you were talking bolts as LRI offers that style flute.

Yeah the Ascent bolt would be perfect, obviously it works flawlessly, looks good and it's light. I'm guessing Kimber would be interested in selling a bolt.

Trackselk

WKR
I'll have to bust the ascent out again tomorrow, and post a pic or two. Covid sucks...
Yeah, kimber isn't selling anything that requires fitting, and maybe less than that since I read they won't sell hunter stocks either. At least they have accuracy dialed in, and they are almost the lightest thing out there! I'd rather have 4 new hunters than one $4k rifle that's slightly better. Now, if I'd have only read about the goo removal before I ordered my MPI, I'd have another rifle (or suppressor) versus a fancy stock.

-please let me know if you get a different answer from kimber about bolts than I did.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I'll have to bust the ascent out again tomorrow, and post a pic or two. Covid sucks...
Yeah, kimber isn't selling anything that requires fitting, and maybe less than that since I read they won't sell hunter stocks either. At least they have accuracy dialed in, and they are almost the lightest thing out there! I'd rather have 4 new hunters than one $4k rifle that's slightly better. Now, if I'd have only read about the goo removal before I ordered my MPI, I'd have another rifle (or suppressor) versus a fancy stock.

-please let me know if you get a different answer from kimber about bolts than I did.

I stopped and l almost asked you about the MPI vs gel-less Hunter stock a couple time but figured you had your reasons.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Makes sense, so I might be crazy on this one😆 although I don't understand your dog expression?? I even googled it 😶
There have been multiple stories of ATF agents shooting peoples dogs when the pet owners weren’t even criminals. One story a very nice golden retriever approached the agents and they shot it in front of the family. If I remember correctly they were even at the wrong house.

Of course they just got away with it because they were “doing their jobs”.

Trackselk

WKR
I stopped and l almost asked you about the MPI vs gel-less Hunter stock a couple time but figured you had your reasons.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sad story. I read about the gel removal right after I ordered the well over a grand stock. Just the insured shipping 2 ways is about $100, and then there's the multiple month wait. Too bad i'm honest, I would really have liked to have canceled the order and bought a trainer .223
-i won't detail the thread with my thoughts of what I'd do if someone shot my dog...

Trackselk

WKR
@jpndave
- Now I'm worried about there being wear problems as Karl's flutes are sharper and extend beyond the extractor like you mentioned. Time will tell I guess.
-i guess dissasembling the bolt is out of the question? I'm guessing kimber flutes them before assembly?

Attachments

• 20230208_180535.jpg
    20230208_180535.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230208_180449.jpg
    20230208_180449.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 46
You can disassemble the bolts. The extractor just slots onto the C ring that’s around the bolt body. Then you can remove the C ring. The fire pin unscrews easily when cocked and center safety position. The bolt handle unscrews.
Fairly easy to strip it to just the bolt body.

I’d be concerned of removing material from the action of an 84m. They aren’t very strong.

jpndave

FNG
@jpndave
- Now I'm worried about there being wear problems as Karl's flutes are sharper and extend beyond the extractor like you mentioned. Time will tell I guess.
-i guess dissasembling the bolt is out of the question? I'm guessing kimber flutes them before assembly?
I'm sure both are fluted with extractor off. They're easy to strip down as @dieselchessy said. And I agree metal removal will need to be VERY carefully considered/decided. I personally won't trim or flute the barrel. I have a Bartlein that is going to be a little heavier than the original. It should shoot though!

How does the ejector groove look on the Ascent bolt?

Last edited:

Trackselk

WKR
I'm sure both are fluted with extractor off. They're easy to strip down as @dieselchessy said. And I agree metal removal will need to be VERY carefully considered/decided. I personally won't trim or flute the barrel. I have a Bartlein that is going to be a little heavier than the original. It should shoot though!

How does the ejector groove look on the Ascent bolt?
First pic right?

Attachments

• 20230208_211549.jpg
    20230208_211549.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230208_211646.jpg
    20230208_211646.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 37