So ... How far are you all pushing your bear hunt back.

When are you headed out?

• Mid April

• Late April

• Early May

• Mid May

• Late May

• Early June or later?

Results are only viewable after voting.
The snow will not let up, as you all know. So, are you delaying your bear hunt? How far? When do you think you're getting out?

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
here on Vancouver Island, it's very predictable. Season opens 1 April, and early mid April is generally slow up in the hills, but not many days go without at least one sighting.
By May 1st, its go time. Doesn't matter what the weather is doing or what kind of spring it is, they are out and feeding. (west, south-west facing slopes with run off where it greens up first)

Last edited:
OP
Schoolhousegrizz
here on Vancouver Island, it's very predictable. Season opens 1 April, and early mid April is generally slow up in the hills, but not many days go without at least one sighting.
By May 1st, its go time. Doesn't matter what the weather is doing or what kind of spring it is, they are out and feeding. (west, south-west facing slopes with run off where it greens up first)
Ron, glad to hear that response. I have been wondering that same thing. Even if there is more snow than usual it seems like they still get up close to the same time.

Normally I would be chasing them every chance I get after April first (opener) but it’s not going to be very good early this year. It’s snowed more on the coast than any year I remember, expecting another foot tonight above 2k… south coast is actually worse than the central coast this year which is crazy

Not much green up at all yet, even sea level. Probably going to fish springers until we start getting above 50 degrees for highs

First time we get sun (or at least not raining or snowing) my better half and I will go put eyes on our favorite spots and at least look for a participation trophy (antlers) my wife’s favorite spot had some big critters in it this year, one of the biggest roosies I’ve seen and a really good buck, as well as a couple more respectable bucks and at least 4 other nice bulls hanging out on the regular… but going to wait for at least a decent day of weather. Weird weather here this year… obviously global colding

rclouse79

WKR
I got the cabin fever bad this year. I might spend some mornings chasing turkeys, but am going to look for bears any chance I get.

I’m hitting a new spot where I hope there will be less snow April 21-23 then holding off til June and hitting another new spot that I’m sure will have a lot of snow, maybe even into June

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
I’m hitting a new spot where I hope there will be less snow April 21-23 then holding off til June and hitting another new spot that I’m sure will have a lot of snow, maybe even into June

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's the elevation in the spot you're hoping to hit in April?

Gobbler36

WKR
Suck that it has to dump snow this year my wife drew a bear tag and the hunt closes may 22 so not sure where in the heck we’re gonna be able to get to in places

Last weekend cut two different sets of Bear tracks at 4000ft in NE Oregon. On top of a foot of snow. Gonna be a while before it’s getting green, but there’s some bears out and about.

The snow will not let up, as you all know. So, are you delaying your bear hunt? How far? When do you think you're getting out?
Well I live in MT close to good bear hunting so I will be out looking for sign and doing some armed hiking as soon as it opens. I won't be getting serious until at least the end of April unlike the last couple of years where I found bears early. This late winter is just annoying as all hell I'm way over it. I usually like to get after the turkeys early in the morning but hell I can't even get into those spots. I don't have private access so it's just annoying that even though the seasons gonna open I know it's gonna suck for a few more weeks. I am a glutton for punishment so I'll embrace it.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Well I live in MT close to good bear hunting so I will be out looking for sign and doing some armed hiking as soon as it opens. I won't be getting serious until at least the end of April unlike the last couple of years where I found bears early. This late winter is just annoying as all hell I'm way over it. I usually like to get after the turkeys early in the morning but hell I can't even get into those spots. I don't have private access so it's just annoying that even though the seasons gonna open I know it's gonna suck for a few more weeks. I am a glutton for punishment so I'll embrace it.
Yeah, cabin fever is an epidemic of epic proportions this year in the West 🤢.

When they close all the snowmobile trails. I’ll wait two weeks then go. Surprisingly there’s already a few griz out on the front already!

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
My spot I drive a long way up in elevation and then hike down to hunt. I doubt I’ll be able to drive in until May unfortunately. Still gonna try come April 15th though.

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
The areas I planned to hunt keep getting hit with snow. Looks like part of my time off for turkey hunting will be bear hunting in may. Glad for the moisture but really want to get out in the woods.