So ... How far are you all pushing your bear hunt back.

When are you headed out?

• Mid April

• Late April

• Early May

• Mid May

• Late May

• Early June or later?

Results are only viewable after voting.

ROKnROAL

FNG
Going out this weekend here in southern Alberta as it’s a long weekend. Might not see anything at all but being able to see how the mountains are looking right now is good enough anyways. Hopefully some big surly boar decided to get up early and I’ll be able to take a poke.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I had already had multiple opportunities by now. I haven’t even seen fresh sign yet this year. Most of the area I hunt is still covered in snow. Hopefully it warms up a little soon

Montucky

WKR
Live @ 6k ft. Seen a gooher & a honeybee today. Lotta snow to melt before I can go anywhere

ROKnROAL

FNG
So, went out to Kananaskis country in AB this weekend. Post-holing up to my thighs in snow for six hours straight. Gonna give it a couple more weeks of warm weather before attempt number two.

Had been planning late May all along, but now it seems to be working our for the better anyway.

Marshfly

WKR
Took a nice drive today to lay eyes on a few hopeful places here in Montana. Still a ton of snow lower than you'd think and not much green in the meadows. Need some more warm weather.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Well I live in MT close to good bear hunting so I will be out looking for sign and doing some armed hiking as soon as it opens. I won't be getting serious until at least the end of April unlike the last couple of years where I found bears early. This late winter is just annoying as all hell I'm way over it. I usually like to get after the turkeys early in the morning but hell I can't even get into those spots. I don't have private access so it's just annoying that even though the seasons gonna open I know it's gonna suck for a few more weeks. I am a glutton for punishment so I'll embrace it.
Fortunately I have access to some private land in Western MT and already have 2 turkey blinds set-up and ready for opening day. We typically harvest 2-3 birds on opening weekend. After opening weekend I have some low elevation bear spots picked out so I can take my binoculars and rifle for a hike. It has been along winter and some snow in the mountains will not keep me out of the woods.

Chilly last night with the wind, but it’s starting to look better all the time…. Just need a few days hitting 60. Still a lot of white in hills on the southern Oregon coast… pile of deer and elk, and a turkey, but no bear, but there is enough feed in spots now

Attachments

• F00235E7-F482-4FD7-8CCB-B98D38FE0495.jpeg
    F00235E7-F482-4FD7-8CCB-B98D38FE0495.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 50
Started to green up last weekend here in MT, got 2” of snow yesterday supposed to get another 6” today. Hope it burns off but I won’t go now until may 1 now I was shooting for a week and a half last week. Hear there’s grizz out on the front which is surprising!

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Chilly last night with the wind, but it’s starting to look better all the time…. Just need a few days hitting 60. Still a lot of white in hills on the southern Oregon coast… pile of deer and elk, and a turkey, but no bear, but there is enough feed in spots now
What is the approximate elevation in that pic? Thanks for posting!

What is the approximate elevation in that pic? Thanks for posting!
Where I was it was about 1100’… changed pretty quick, 2 days after taking that pic I could see a lot of bare ground on those white hills, and where we were hunting had got noticeably better green up, and we watched a bear the whole evening below us (small)

Have more crap weather this week with more snow above 1k, but from here on it’s worth hunting. I’m going over to the NE corner of the state next weekend to hunt turkey then it should be easy to find bear regularly after that

Last edited:
OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Where I was it was about 1100’… changed pretty quick, 2 days after taking that pic I could see a lot of bare ground on those white hills, and where we were hunting had got noticeably better green up, and we watched a bear the whole evening below us (small)

Have more crap weather this week with more snow above 1k, but from here on it’s worth hunting. I’m going over to the NE corner of the state next weekend to hunt turkey then it should be easy to find bear regularly after that
Thanks for the update. I sent you a pm