Small Hunting / House / Mountain Dog

MattB

WKR
I would tend to agree. :) I just have noticed every time I get a large dog, with the intent of keeping it in the house, it ends up outside. So maybe a smaller dog will be the ticket.
Hounds and terriers - most can't help it.

My dad had a soft coated Wheaton terrier which he was very proud of and would walk off-lease on the golf course behind his house. One day a neighbor's dog came to the fence and started barking at them. The terrier pup immediately gave chase. To the surprise of everyone involved, the pup was small enough to slip right between the fence slats. This caused the neighbor's dog to retreat in fear and it blasted through the dog door to safety (or so it thought). The pup followed it right into the house a split second later and a ruckus ensued. My dad stood there for several minutes in disbelief. As he was formulating a plan of walking around the block to retrieve his dog, the pup popped back out of the dog door and returned to his side as though nothing had even happened.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
So I wanted to get some of your guys thoughts. Things didn't end up going well with my GWP. She was extremely aggressive with my other dog. Luckily an older couple we know lost there GWP, and they ended up taking ours. So it worked out for all of us.

I have still been searching for a great mountain/hunting/family dog. I have been looking at the curs lately and cur mixes. Tonight I stumbled onto a Mountain Cur / Jagdterrier mix close to our home. From what I have researched, they seem like they could fit the bill.

I do have another dog, cat, and chickens at home. I would use this dog for camp watch, coyote hunting, I would try bird hunting, and just as a mountain companion. I know they will take work, exercise, and consistent training.

Am I crazy to be considering this mix?

I do have another dog, cat, and chickens at home. I would use this dog for camp watch, coyote hunting, I would try bird hunting, and just as a mountain companion. I know they will take work, exercise, and consistent training.

My cur is a baller. I don't know about the mix you suggest though

however, just know that using a dog to hunt coyotes is basically counting your dog as disposable. My cur is probably the largest a cur will get without breeding with something bigger. I'll pit him against any coon and place money on him coming out on top. But even at 55#, I don't want my dog tangling with a coyote. I'd want a dog minimum of 75# to tangle with coyotes.

His main purpose is squirrel and coon. His personality makes him great at other things like keeping the property safe from intruders, herding sheep/cattle, flushing and catching pheasant/quail/etc. AND he is great with the baby. If he doesn't like the baby touching him or tugging on his fur, he will get up and walk away without showing aggression.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
So I wanted to get some of your guys thoughts. Things didn't end up going well with my GWP. She was extremely aggressive with my other dog. Luckily an older couple we know lost there GWP, and they ended up taking ours. So it worked out for all of us.

I have still been searching for a great mountain/hunting/family dog. I have been looking at the curs lately and cur mixes. Tonight I stumbled onto a Mountain Cur / Jagdterrier mix close to our home. From what I have researched, they seem like they could fit the bill.

Without knowing the full back story of what happened with the GWP it sounds like there is more you should probably consider. While there can be some sharpness with GWPs most I’ve seen are real sweethearts, I’d do some thinking on if you really took the time to establish hierarchy with your dogs in that situation. If not, do you have time to do it?

I don’t know anything about curr dogs, what little I do know about the Jag is that they are a little bundle of dynamite. If you can’t establish hierarchy and order with your dogs they are going to do it for you and not likely in the way you want. True for any breed but I think especially for a high test dog like a Jag.

So my advice, I’d focus more on you than the breed. Not many bad dogs, lots of bad owners IME.

Regarding coyotes, don’t those midwest boys hunt them with greyhounds and pits? Seems a little rough go for a relatively small, single dog. I think it’d be better to stick with the caller and rifle.

TheCreeds

FNG
I am hoping I stumbled onto my perfect little mountain dog. She is a Jagdterrier / Mountain Cur mix.

Attachments

• IMG_4997.jpeg
    IMG_4997.jpeg
    778.5 KB · Views: 38
nice looking dog. you'll have to decide how to train but if you want a treeing dog it'll be about 2 years of time in the woods before you'll know 100% she's on track

Does this dog even exist?

I am looking for a small dog, preferrably under 30 lbs, that can fill multiple roles. I would like something that I can take hunting pheasants and chuckers. Something that might retrieve a duck out of the river. I would also like something that I could take up on the mountain for hikes, and use as a camp watch dog. The biggest thing is it has to be good around kids, and other pets (chickens and a cat.)

I was thinking the Jagd would fit my bill perfectly, but everything I have heard and read says they probably won't do well with other animals.
I love German Wirehairs, but they are just bigger then I want.

What dog are you using?
Mines a corgi I don't even get a vote in this one lol. He's fun to hang out with though and can take a joke. This is what I wake up to in the morning they both said I was snoring to loud to stay in the bedroom. I think they're full of it because I've never heard it.KIMG4602~2.JPG

HoneyDew

WKR
Brittany. Just find out the weight of the sire and dam and that will tell you the pups final size.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Does this dog even exist?

I am looking for a small dog, preferrably under 30 lbs, that can fill multiple roles. I would like something that I can take hunting pheasants and chuckers. Something that might retrieve a duck out of the river. I would also like something that I could take up on the mountain for hikes, and use as a camp watch dog. The biggest thing is it has to be good around kids, and other pets (chickens and a cat.)

I was thinking the Jagd would fit my bill perfectly, but everything I have heard and read says they probably won't do well with other animals.
I love German Wirehairs, but they are just bigger then I want.

What dog are you using?
I think a springer spaniel might work for you but they’re going to be over 30lb you can probably find a female in the 40lb range great house dogs all mine have had a strong desire to hunt and they make good farm dogs big size range in the breed my male I just lost was over 60lb but the true hunting strain are smaller framed very loyal dogs