Sleeping tips for the backcountry

CaseyD

FNG
So my sleeping arrangement is where I “splurge” I’m a stick dude, so the nice light sleeping bags are too tight for me. I found the Big Agnes Whiskey Park 0 degree bag and the Klymit Insulated V with a packer pillow are more comfy than my bed.... as for sleep aid I use Mtn Ops slumber an hour before I want to be asleep. I hope for 7-8 hours of sleep before I get up and get moving. Any less and I get a slight hang over, 7-8 or any more and I’m ready to roll. Benadryl and the other stuff mentioned and I am hungover for 2 days.

USN, eh? Indebted to you for your service.

Thank you. Submarine service 80-86. Navy diver and sonar supervisor.

Navy men are known to sleep anywhere under almost any conditions, sometimes where we have no business being. 😊

I worked 6-on 6-off for much of my career, so tired all the time and learned to sleep whenever I could.

I think the coffee wears off enough to let me sleep, but also eliminates midnight craving for caffeine.

hikenhunt

WKR
Try taking some magnesium chloride, such SlowMag at Walmart, about 15 minutes before bed. It relaxes muscles and helps prevent cramping. Just like everything else, try it at home first.

Thank you. Submarine service 80-86. Navy diver and sonar supervisor.

Navy men are known to sleep anywhere under almost any conditions, sometimes where we have no business being. 😊

I worked 6-on 6-off for much of my career, so tired all the time and learned to sleep whenever I could.

I think the coffee wears off enough to let me sleep, but also eliminates midnight craving for caffeine.
retired career firefighter/paramedic, I can sleep virtually anywhere too and it doesn't take me long …..

sneaky

"DADDY"
Don't sleep on a slope. Just woke up half in and half out of my LBO. I'll find a flat spot today if nothing else.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
I think I'm ready to try a cot as well. I can't seem to keep my arms from falling asleep and waking me up, regardless of position. I may try a wide pad too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
I have an ultralight cot/pad. Even with that I can still get 3 plus days in my peregrine 3500 pack comfortably. I don’t like the idea of non-natural sleep in the backcountry. Want to wake up if needed.

I think I'm ready to try a cot as well. I can't seem to keep my arms from falling asleep and waking me up, regardless of position. I may try a wide pad too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
not joking, you might want to talk to your Doc about that ?

ianpadron

WKR
This sometimes can be tricky where I’ve been going the last couple years. Seems like even the flattest spot still have a slope. Enough to where my pad is always sliding down on my tyvek. I put my pack at my feet to try and help that but it really didn’t much. I always have to get up and reposition everything. I’m going to a floored shelter next year to see if having the enclosed walls and no tyvek will help any. I have a pretty luxurious sleep system that is great when I’m on truly level ground, well at least level enough to keep me from slowly sliding down hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few dabs of tent sealer silicone on the underside of your pad will fix the sliding issue.

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I like a few swallows of rye whiskey. Not so much to make you buzz but just enough to warm your soul. I sleep better in the backcountry than I do at home. Probably bc I have fewer things to worry about.

WCB

WKR
Besides having the right equipment (sleep bag, pad, tent, pillow, etc.) Number one thing that has helped me is having baby wipes or having a good clean up in a creek when getting back. Also, if you have to sleep in any type of clothing/socks. have a set just for sleeping. Nothing worse than going to sleep in worn socks. In my opinion worth the extra weight.

10mg melatonin
500 mg valerian root
Cup of Chamomile tea
IB Profen PM
Indica in some form
Down pillow stuffed with a jacket
A second stuff sack stuff with extra clothes to put between my knees when side sleeping.
You nailed it...