Pad and Pillow for Side Sleepers

nobody

WKR
Anybody else hear a side sleeper? Looking for help

I’ve suffered enough with my Klymit Static V and Klymit inflatable pillow, looking to upgrade without ending up broke. No matter how tired I am or what the ground beneath me is doing, I wake up after about 2 hours with a sore neck, sore shoulder, and sore hip with this pad and pillow setup. Then I spend the rest of the night sleeping in 20 minute shifts, constantly moving around a little to get more comfy for a few minutes. I literally sleep better during my late morning Power Nap than I do at night, and it’s affecting my ability to hunt and even hike effectively.

I’m 5’11”, 190 lbs, broad shoulders and narrow hips, pretty athletic build. I’m not big necessarily, but I’ve gotta have more padding.

Can anyone make a suggestion for the best pad and pillow combo for a side sleeper? It needs to be lightweight and packable for backcountry stuff, but I’ll carry a few extra ounces if it means I’ll sleep.

Any (pertinent) advice is appreciated, thanks!

*zap*

WKR
I side sleep and had no issues with the static v as far as sleeping. Therm-a-rest compressible pillows are good.

BBob

WKR
Sea to Summit

Reactions: FLS
OP
N

nobody

WKR
Sea to Summit
Good to see you recommending these, as the Aeros and ether lite XT is the exact setup I’m looking at.

@BBob has the answer. I am a heavy side sleeper. Don’t bottom out of the 4“ thick S2S pad. Haven’t really used any of my other pads since I bought it.

for a pillow, I take one of the S2S inflatables and put it in a stuff sack. I add all my unused clothes and I sleep pretty well. I toss and turn a bit but it is not bad if I set things up right.

mthayr

WKR
+1 for the Therm-a-rest compressible pillows - Is it heavier than an air pillow? Yes. Is it worth every ounce? YES!
I have a similar build to you (5' 10", 185#, broad shoulders) and agree that the Sea-to-Summit "coil" series of air mattresses are very comfortable, but I'd shy away from the Ether-series. Very light, but too delicate IMO for the backcountry. https://seatosummit.com/products/ultralight-insulated-mat?variant=7896105451548 is what I use.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
+1 for the Therm-a-rest compressible pillows - Is it heavier than an air pillow? Yes. Is it worth every ounce? YES!
I have a similar build to you (5' 10", 185#, broad shoulders) and agree that the Sea-to-Summit "coil" series of air mattresses are very comfortable, but I'd shy away from the Ether-series. Very light, but too delicate IMO for the backcountry. https://seatosummit.com/products/ultralight-insulated-mat?variant=7896105451548 is what I use.
Thanks, good to hear from somebody of similar size and build. Unfortunately my Static V is almost identical to the ultralight you’ve mentioned, too thin for how I’m sleeping. From what I’m seeing, I need at least a 3” thick pad, 4 if I can.

But it is interesting to hear your comment about durability, thanks for chiming in

Drenalin

WKR
I had a Sea to Summit Ether LT (the gray one, not the black one), and it was pretty comfortable. Unfortunately, it's not a warm pad at all and I personally didn't want the weight of the black winter version. Found a Thermarest Xtherm in regular wide that is working well. It's not quite as cushy as that Ether Light, but it's very warm and I don't bottom it out. I've read complaints about the Thermarest pads being noisy, but I think that's mostly with their lighter pads - it hasn't been an issue for me, and I wouldn't say it's any louder than the Ether Light. Not as soft as a Klymit pad though.

For pillows - I quit. I tried different versions from Klymit, Nemo, Sea to Summit, and some cheap Amazon stuff and couldn't find anything that gave me enough lift for my shoulder width. I stuff everything I have inside my pack except what I need for sleeping, then wrap my mid layer around a folded up accordion style pad, lay it on the pack and secure in place with the front compression straps. Then I take a Unisom or similar and call it good enough.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a horrible side sleeper and have been through several pad brands. So far this has worked the best:

Nemo tensor insulated regular wide

Nemo luxury camping pillow

They have lighter pillows if that’s a factor for you
I will second the nemo tensor as a pad. I'm a side sleeper and my sleep has been very good on it.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I’m a horrible side sleeper and have been through several pad brands. So far this has worked the best:

Nemo tensor insulated regular wide

Nemo luxury camping pillow

They have lighter pillows if that’s a factor for you
I will second the nemo tensor as a pad. I'm a side sleeper and my sleep has been very good on it.
Going to look into this one seriously, thanks so much!

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I made a pillow that is about 40% of the width of the same pillow I sleep on. Made a shorter pillow case as well. That problem solved no matter if sleep on back as I do most the time or if side sleep of even skydive belly sleep.

Some good suggestions on pads. I used two with one the XL and the other regular and layered them with XL on bottom hanging out more at my feet. Shoulders and hips are where I need the padding if side sleeping. Even when I was packing in on my back a couple of miles, I don't skimp on sleep gear nor calories. Need sleep, need fuel for body. Would take in sleep mask and earplugs as well so easier to fall asleep and stay asleep. Ziplocs help cut down on staggering outside the tent into the cold to whiz in the night.

Matt G.

WKR
I am same size as you and recommend the exped ultra 5R. Nice thick pad, quiet and softer feeling. It was between this and the tensor. I too had the static v and wish I used in the back yard first....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

judders87

FNG
Same specs as you/ side sleeper and I run a Sea to Summit Aeros pillow and a Nemo Tensor. I'd say another key thing is not to fill your pad to full. Let it have some give so your body can conform better.

Ive had 2 Sea to Summit pads and both leaked afyer very little usage so i went back to the tried and true Xped and all is good. As a side sleeper it is great for me

Sea to summit ether light xt with the aeros pillow is very comfortable for side sleeping. 4 inch thick pad is well worth its little bit of extra weight. Used in a floorless shelter with a small, thin footprint for a dozen nights so far and it is holding air fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
I have the Ether light Xt extreme , the insulated black version. It's warm and comfy, I use it with my quilt and stay warm at least to 20 degrees. Yeah it's a little more weight than I want tho. But until I find something better and lighter thats still insulated well and 4 inches thick, I'm keeping it.