Pad and Pillow for Side Sleepers

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
I use the ether lite xt, the grey one, and have been very pleased with it. With a nemo switchback ccf pad underneath I’ve been comfortable at 0F. My brothers also a side sleeper and raves about the exped ultra 7r.

devincarter1

Lil-Rokslider
Sea to Summit
the down pillow definitely has my attention! will be trying one this year

Side sleeper here as well. I'm also about 5'9" 190lb fyi.

I switched to a wide insulated Nemo tensor this year and it is the best pad I have used. The little pump sack is a major pro over my previous pads. I haven't backpacked my Helinox cot but it is the biggest part of a comfortable night for me.

I use a foam filled Thermarest pillow for truck camping but it's way to bulky to backpack.

Exped has a pillow very similar to the sea to summit that looks pretty comfortable.

nebhunt

WKR
I just purchased a Nemo Tensor Alpine based on reviews and it was on sale at Camp Saver. I hope I made the right choice.

This is going to sound ridiculous but it’s been working amazing for me.
Im 6’+, about 195, and broad shouldered. I’ve been using a neoar exterm inflated on the high side (helps the hips and shoulders) with one of my kids’ squishmallows as a pillow. I sometimes use one of those ultralight Nemo inflatable pillows between my knees.
Squishmallows are these super popular kids sensory squishy things. They have very Asian animal designs. Very cute.
Something about how they squish and how they shape to your head and neck as a side sleeper is unmatched by anything I’ve seen this far. They’re not too heavy, and they’re moderately compressible. I consider
It a luxury item when packing and eat the extra weight because a good nights sleep is worth it.
Having something between your knees to reduce strain is also a big help.
It’s silly having an anime cartoon unicorn pillow next to my hunting gear, but F-me if it’s not the most comfortable outdoor sleeping I’ve ever had.

Anybody else hear a side sleeper? Looking for help

I’ve suffered enough with my Klymit Static V and Klymit inflatable pillow, looking to upgrade without ending up broke. No matter how tired I am or what the ground beneath me is doing, I wake up after about 2 hours with a sore neck, sore shoulder, and sore hip with this pad and pillow setup. Then I spend the rest of the night sleeping in 20 minute shifts, constantly moving around a little to get more comfy for a few minutes. I literally sleep better during my late morning Power Nap than I do at night, and it’s affecting my ability to hunt and even hike effectively.

I’m 5’11”, 190 lbs, broad shoulders and narrow hips, pretty athletic build. I’m not big necessarily, but I’ve gotta have more padding.

Can anyone make a suggestion for the best pad and pillow combo for a side sleeper? It needs to be lightweight and packable for backcountry stuff, but I’ll carry a few extra ounces if it means I’ll sleep.

Any (pertinent) advice is appreciated, thanks!
When I did wildfire I’ve used both foam and air for pads. I preferred the accordion foam. For a pillow I used a stuff sack and a cheap little wal mart fleece throw. I think that works good, and if you needed its extra warmth, or padding under your hip if you just fold it up under you. A little wildfire “hack was before you pitch your tent or put your pad on the ground take your heel or a rock and dig out a little pit where your hips will go, and refill with loose dirt. Works like a charm.

When I did wildfire I’ve used both foam and air for pads. I preferred the accordion foam. For a pillow I used a stuff sack and a cheap little wal mart fleece throw. I think that works good, and if you needed its extra warmth, or padding under your hip if you just fold it up under you. A little wildfire “hack was before you pitch your tent or put your pad on the ground take your heel or a rock and dig out a little pit where your hips will go, and refill with loose dirt. Works like a charm.

Here’s the link to the throw. I say for 4 bucks it’s worth a shot

Xerute

FNG
Nemo Tensor with a sea to summit aeros or a Nemo fillo elite. Sea to summit aeros if you have wide shoulders as it has higher inflation.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm a side sleeper, I predominantly use a Neoair X-therm. Exped Synmat 7 and Downmat 9 are more comfortable, but heavy.

I have a small Sea to Summit pillow that works well.

I'm a little thicker/ broader than the rest of you side sleepers apparently, a 4" pad and a 5" pillow is what I need to not bottom out or kink my neck. Currently running a large etherlight xt insulated and just picked up an aeros ultralight large.

stuff that didn't work: the fillo too flat, too slippery, even with some paracord it was tough to keep in position. Also, a 3.5" thick insulated exped, that wasn't enough to be comfy with my hip off the ground, and at exactly my height i had a few sloped nights where it was tough staying on it.