Pad & Quilt Help

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Looks like they do make a 30" sheet that can be used with the lite quilt:

Except its 30 degree rated and weighs twice as much as the 10 degree sheet that comes with the lite bed.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.

The lite sheet will fit a 30” pad, it’s tights but works. I said that in response to the weight thing. Also, the 30° sheet above is only different in the hood.

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
The lite sheet will fit a 30” pad, it’s tights but works. I said that in response to the weight thing. Also, the 30° sheet above is only different in the hood.
Received a response from Zenbivy this morning:
_____
"We will actually be carrying new 30x80 Light Sheets AND 30x80 Light Mattresses next year! :) I believe all the new products should be arriving and launching in the spring, so if you can wait until then I think that will be the perfect solution for your comfy backpacking setup."

_____

Looks like I am waiting until next year!

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
I know many iterations of this have been asked--and I have read them all--so I appreciate you sticking with me. I just recently upgraded my sleep system to a Thermarest Neoair Topo Luxe and a Western Moutnaineering Badger. Besides sleeping in the backyard, I have zero days actually out in the backcountry with this setup.

I am a big guy (6'6" 250lbs) and I sleep like shit due to L5-S1 back issues (I can't even get a good nights sleep in my regular bed). After one night--I have a pretty big concern--and that is the contraints of the bag.

I toss and turn quite a bit and am 98% a side sleeper--and I change sides at least a dozen times a night. As much as I want to love the WM badger bag--after one night, I've realized its too tight for be being a side sleeper (and needing my knees bent).

Though I will give this system a try in the backcountry, I am already looking at changing out. I think reality is I need an old fashioned, wide, rectangular sleeping bag (heavy!) or I need to go to a quilt.

Questions:
1. Do you all have any good recommendations for a nice and wide quilt that is still packable/light weight? Night time temps where I typically hunt don't usually dip below 20 degrees and I have puffy layers with me that I can throw on.

2. Any recommendations on a light weight, but traditional wide, rectangle bag?

3. I need a wide pad--30" minimum. The Topo Luxe I have is only R3.7. Do you think this is going to be warm enough on a 20 degree night with a quilt?

4. If the answer is no to #3 above, any recommendations on a higher R-value pad that is min 30" wide?

Thanks Everyone.
Pretty sure you've gotten enough answers but just going to help out with a few things here.

R-value, as stated you will want a mat with at least a 4.8 r-value. Why you ask? Sleeping bags with EN ratings are tested with a mat that has an r-value of 4.8.

Width wise, if you are looking at backpacking mats, any of the big 5 brands out there stop at 26" wide in the backpacking side of things for what would be a reasonable weight. At EXPED, we make both an MW and LW, only difference is length being 72" or 78". R-value wise, we make R1, R3, R5, R7, and R8 (7 and 8 are down fill mats). All these come in multiple face fabrics, either 75D or 20D and in size M, MW, and LW.