Sleeping pads & wide or regular

Just wondering what the majority of y’all run. I’ve ran a Klymit for 9 years now because I’m cheap. Finally upgrade to a big agnes rapide but only bought the regular due to wide being sold out at the moment.

Last edited:

Drenalin

W.KR
I couldn't use a regular width pad at all, and greatly prefer the rectangular wide pads versus mummy shape. At 6'-0", a regular length is a little short if I try to stay fully on the pad, but I usually use my pack for a pillow just off the top of the pad, which helps on length. I wish someone would make a 28-30 inch wide pad at 74 inch length.

180ls1

WKR
You'll like the wide so much better. I actually run a 30" wide but I am big and a bad sleeper.

OP
Bcoonce117
Another vote for wide sleeping pads, for only a couple ounces penalty, a better night's sleep is well worth it. Also, sorry about your wife selling out... 😜
That made me literally lol

OP
Bcoonce117
I plan on upgrading to a wide in the future but just wanted something nicer than a cheapo Klymit for once. The big Agnes are supposed to be really comfortable pads

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with a wide pad unless you're a smaller individual, or really cutting ounces.

For basecamping or spiking out I always go wide. A comfortable good night's sleep is priceless. I also lean towards a higher R-value in case temps unexpectedly dipped down.

Decker9

WKR
I’m skinny and love my wide exped, but in our hubba hubba nx, my pad tries overlapping my lady’s regular exped. She wants a wide too, but I don’t think 2 wides would fit in our 2 person tent.

Just a thought incase you share a 2 person tent.

OP
Bcoonce117
I bought a double pad for my wife and I to share when we go together. 50” wide.

Do I sleep better on a wider pad? Of course. But after the first night out, I get used to my 20x72” pad. I do sleep on a 1.5” thick thermarest prolite, however. If I was sleeping up on a 4” thick air pad I’d probably want something a little wider.