Sleeping Pads and Insulation type

gostovp

WKR
I’m in need of a new 3 Season insulated sleeping pad and wanted to know if people have real world experience with the different insulation types in the blow up pads. It seems like there are basically two variations… the thin foil sheet insulation or actual thin layers of synthetic fill fiber insulation.

I know the foil type pads will pack up smaller than the fill type insulated pads, but is one type noticeably warmer or quieter or more comfortable?

The two pads I’m looking at are the new Big Agnes Rapide SL ( foil sheet insulation) vs the Exped Ultra 5r ( synthetic fill insulation)

t_carlson

WKR
I've never tried a synthetic or down filled pad in very cold weather. I have a Klymit with synthetic insulation and an exped that is down, but upon receiving both, found that they were tightly wrapped up and stored in their stuff sacks.

You are not supposed to store down or synthetic bags compressed, and all of the sleeping bags I've ordered have arrived in their larger, "storage" sacks.

Logically, the pads claimed insulation value has been impacted by such storage, and further impacted unless you store your pads blown up (which, in a house with a cat, is not going to go well).

Instead, I've been using Thermarest X-Lites and X-therms with no complaints. I can tell you, an X-therm will keep you very warm, even below zero if your bag is properly matched.

The X-therm is the gold standard of winter sleeping pads although some people don't find it comfortable. It is very warm. Exped's warmer pads are really good also. I would trust the R-values.

Bearsears

WKR
Ive had an Exped down mat for several years and Ive never experienced any issues of losing warmth from the down being compressed. Ive slept on mine below zero multiple nights. I don't think there is a quality difference between Thermarest or Exped and both are incredibly warm and comfortable. Both are top tier pads with great track records. Choose which ever one is more comfortable. I have a really curvy back so the more horizontal baffles on a thermarest pad have never been comfortable. I get more stability and comfort out of the Exped.

For earlier season pad I also have the Big Agnes Q core SLX which I believe was replaced by the Rapide. These pads are stupid comfortable for me but a bit heavy and I think the Rapide has a better R value than the old Qcore did which would be perfect. My only issue with the Qcore has been it is a bit cold when you get near freezing temps. Not the pads fault, it performs right to the temps they said. Just wish it had a bit more. Enter the Rapide.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I use mine for backpacking. I do try gear out at the house also to ensure it will keep me warm. I have an Thermarest NeoAir with an R value of around 4. I have stayed warm with a my quilt down to 18 degrees with this setup. I think it weighs around 15 oz.