Sleeping in a crew cab truck ?

Elite

WKR
Hey everyone! I have been tossing around the idea of some how sleeping in the back of my gmc crew cab for random short hunting trips. I do have a holiday trailer but a lot of land owners do not like you camping on there land with a trailer due to dry conditions and fire hazards. So I have been for shorter trips it would be a lot easier to just sleep in the cab. Has anyone built some kind of mattress system for it? I was thinking of flipping up then back seat and having a small mattress platform on the floor then I would be able to simply flip the seat back down and put gear on the seat. I was also thinking of cutting a plywood sheet and making legs on the front of it and using the seat has a rest but the rear seats seem to have a good slope in wards on them, Just looking for some ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunndm

WKR
Hey everyone! I have been tossing around the idea of some how sleeping in the back of my gmc crew cab for random short hunting trips. I do have a holiday trailer but a lot of land owners do not like you camping on there land with a trailer due to dry conditions and fire hazards. So I have been for shorter trips it would be a lot easier to just sleep in the cab. Has anyone built some kind of mattress system for it? I was thinking of flipping up then back seat and having a small mattress platform on the floor then I would be able to simply flip the seat back down and put gear on the seat. I was also thinking of cutting a plywood sheet and making legs on the front of it and using the seat has a rest but the rear seats seem to have a good slope in wards on them, Just looking for some ideas

There is an inflatable mattress that does exactly what your talking about with the plywood and leg system. I would need to look around to find the link, but I know amazon sells them. My buddy goes on road trips a decent amount and uses it and says it works fine for a few nights and isn’t to much of a head ache.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I have slept in my truck(s) a fair amount. I am 5'10" and laying across the back seat is just a few inches too short and I can't sleep comfortably, I am much better reclining the drivers seat back.
BUT, a couple years ago I bought a truck that has a 6'6" box and a shell topper. I have spent several nights in the back of that and it is awesome. The 6'6" box is long enough to get a full size cot back there and I sleep like a baby. I've done a few later season hunts where it is chilly, so I throw a little buddy heater in the one corner and turn it on first thing in the morning, takes literally 4 minutes to warm up and I can dress in relative comfort!

Attachments

• 2018SDTruckCamp.jpg
    2018SDTruckCamp.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 483

NV HUNTER

WKR
My Brother and i have done this for many years, but as i have got older....I bought a camper shell on the truck. fold out 2 cots and buddy heater and i get a much better nights sleep!

tdhanses

WKR
Look into a softtopper. Sleeping inside the cab sucks, I’ve never found a way to be comfortable and get good sleep doing it.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Those inflatable air mattress for the truck do look they would work well! I am 5’ 10” so it might be tight for length, I have thought about the topper but I have a large slip tank with fuel in my box that is a royal pain to get in and out

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I have slept in my truck(s) a fair amount. I am 5'10" and laying across the back seat is just a few inches too short and I can't sleep comfortably, I am much better reclining the drivers seat back.
BUT, a couple years ago I bought a truck that has a 6'6" box and a shell topper. I have spent several nights in the back of that and it is awesome. The 6'6" box is long enough to get a full size cot back there and I sleep like a baby. I've done a few later season hunts where it is chilly, so I throw a little buddy heater in the one corner and turn it on first thing in the morning, takes literally 4 minutes to warm up and I can dress in relative comfort!

^^^^This. As a kid with Dad, we did this a lot. No heater though but, better than the ground. Later in life, tried the cab thing and it sucked (6'4"). Slept in the bed many, many times w/o even a camper shell. Always got a good night's sleep. Now a days, with the wife along, we have a slide-in truck camper. This is the way to go! But, camper shells still have their place!

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I spent quite a few nights in the cab and in the bed(with a canopy). I've found I sleep way better in the bed with a 2" foam pad than sleeping in the cab. I reserve sleeping in the cab for when I'm doing long drives and need to take a couple hour nap in the middle of the night. In the cab, I pile up stuff on the side so I'm almost sleeping in a sitting position. At 6' tall and with the bumps in the back seat it's not worth trying to lay flat with a mat to smooth out the contours of the seat.

davsco

WKR
I was also thinking of cutting a plywood sheet and making legs on the front of it and using the seat has a rest but the rear seats seem to have a good slope in wards on them, Just looking for some ideas

yeah my supercrew f250 back seat area is crap. with the actual seat tilted up/back it really doesn't provide good storage place at all, or a good place for our dog to hang out. i did just what you said, cut a sheet of plywood, screwed some 'legs' to it, tall enough so that when the back side rests on the shelf below the folded up seat, it is pretty flat/level. i just used 1/4" for the dog but 3/4 should be sturdy enough for a person.

I have an '06 GMC crew cab and I fold down my seats and sleep in the back just fine. I'm 5'10, no cushion or air matress, just a bag and pillow. I also have a canopy on the back and I've slept in that too. I prefer the cab so I can just turn the truck on when my alarm goes on in the morning and warm up a bit.

diyhntr

FNG
I would go for the bed too. I’ve done the cab driving from Oregon to Colorado and by the time I get there I’m shot. No real rest for two days does not do a body good. I’m 6’, and just not enough room to stretch out.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have spent a few years trying to perfect this exact thing. I do it to have the option of sleeping in there. I use it to rest a few hours on long trips or if i get someplace after dark and weather is bad. This year i came up with the best solution yet and i will do it from now on. Pull the back seats out. It was seven bolts total. The seats are akward to carry not terribly heavy. I used 2x2s to make a frame. I needed three sets of legs framed into a rectangle approx 30” x 24” then that held up my platform frame which was approx 30” x 66” with a brace across middle making it look like a figure 8. Then 1/2” or 5/8” plywood top. I put 2 thermarest pads and a blanket down, slept on top like a baby. I did sleep diagonal. And it left a ton of room undrneath to store gear. I could fit a cooler under it. This way youre not moving any gear to lay down. Makes a 20 hour drive much easier. The above measurements are rough approximations off the top of my head to describe it. I used a screw gun to build it inside the cab. I lettered and numbered the pieces so i can screw it back together next year.

Before this i screwed around for years. I tried a platform just above the floor but had to shuffle gear from backseat to front seat to sleep which sucks. I made a platform atop the seat with it folded down, that sucked. I made one with it folded up and it sucked. Those seats zipped right out with an impact. Toughest part was finding a place to store them.

eamyrick

WKR
I also vote for the bed of the truck. I’m 6’3 and spent a week or so last year in the back of mine and slept awesome. I use REIs long inflatable camp beds and have a mil surplus bivy if it gets rainy.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
Love the 8' bed on my truck! Plenty of room to stretch out and all to room I ever need for gear. Sleeping in the cab is ok for a nap but the back of the truck with a cap makes for great multi day trips.

Whitty

FNG
I bought an ARE topper of craiglist for $600 and then built a platform with drawers...gear and cooking items goes in the drawers, coolers on top. When it's time to "camp" I have a slumberjack roadhouse tarp that goes up over the back half of the truck. Roll out a twin size egg crate with inflatable pad on top of the platform and sleep like a baby. Bought a small folding table from amazon to cook/eat on and use a cooler for a seat. All goes up and down in 10mins. Just a different idea...