Sleeping in a crew cab truck ?

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a kodiak canvas truck tent. I can put it up pretty fast , has room to throw a cot and all my gear next to me.

I have a full-size crewcab ford with a shell. I have a aluminum bed-height toolbox in the front of the shell. A memory foam mattress, regular bedsheets and fleece blankets/quilt ride on top of the toolbox year-round. I can sack out whenever I need to, as comfortable as my bed at home. But I'm only 5'8" so have no trouble fitting crossways...

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I have spent a few years trying to perfect this exact thing. I do it to have the option of sleeping in there. I use it to rest a few hours on long trips or if i get someplace after dark and weather is bad. This year i came up with the best solution yet and i will do it from now on. Pull the back seats out. It was seven bolts total. The seats are akward to carry not terribly heavy. I used 2x2s to make a frame. I needed three sets of legs framed into a rectangle approx 30” x 24” then that held up my platform frame which was approx 30” x 66” with a brace across middle making it look like a figure 8. Then 1/2” or 5/8” plywood top. I put 2 thermarest pads and a blanket down, slept on top like a baby. I did sleep diagonal. And it left a ton of room undrneath to store gear. I could fit a cooler under it. This way youre not moving any gear to lay down. Makes a 20 hour drive much easier. The above measurements are rough approximations off the top of my head to describe it. I used a screw gun to build it inside the cab. I lettered and numbered the pieces so i can screw it back together next year.

Before this i screwed around for years. I tried a platform just above the floor but had to shuffle gear from backseat to front seat to sleep which sucks. I made a platform atop the seat with it folded down, that sucked. I made one with it folded up and it sucked. Those seats zipped right out with an impact. Toughest part was finding a place to store them.

This idea has got me thinking now! Any chance you have any pictures of your set up? I would love the shell/topper idea like a lot have suggested but I really enjoy having my slip tank in my truck and like not always having a topper on my truck all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have slept in my truck(s) a fair amount. I am 5'10" and laying across the back seat is just a few inches too short and I can't sleep comfortably, I am much better reclining the drivers seat back.
BUT, a couple years ago I bought a truck that has a 6'6" box and a shell topper. I have spent several nights in the back of that and it is awesome. The 6'6" box is long enough to get a full size cot back there and I sleep like a baby. I've done a few later season hunts where it is chilly, so I throw a little buddy heater in the one corner and turn it on first thing in the morning, takes literally 4 minutes to warm up and I can dress in relative comfort!
I do this exact same thing. I can’t sleep in my crew cab. Last year I spent one long night and finally said screw it and set up my tent at midnight. Now my shell is amazing. I just got my cot though.

Mike 338

WKR
I twice slept on the gas tank and seat of my motorcycle. I swear sleeping in the cab of the truck wasn't one bit better.

Muttly

WKR
Never could fall asleep on a bike, bout the time start to doze off, feel like my legs gonna twitch and I, m gonna fall over.

netman

WKR
I sleep in my truck bed all the time. I have a camper shell over it. I place a thick rug down in the bed first. I build me a nest with a heavy duty air mattress then a extra sleeping bag and blanket/pillow. If it warm I sleep on top of the bag. If it’s cold I sleep in the bag with the blanket over my head. I’m 6’2 so I have to sleep at a angle. I sleep like a log in my nest. Love waking up and seeing the mountains from the truck bed.
When I’m driving out west by myself I have the nest ready in case I get tired. Pull in a rest area and conk out. I love driving all the way and sleep in the bed and wake up see the mountains and hop out and set up my campsite.

mtmiller

WKR
I have over 150 nights in the backseat of my 16 Tundra. Stack cloths and pack between the two seats and works well for me. That being said, I would love to have a Four Wheel Hawk, but that is a different discussion.

Blakes

FNG
I've spent many nights in the bed of my truck, comfortably. I have also spent a few nights in the back of the cab, uncomfortably... only because the truck bed was full of hunting stuff while I was traveling. I would rather sleep outside the truck on the ground than spend another night in the back of the cab!

In my last two extended cabs I’ve just slept on the passenger side with the seat leaned back all the way, works fine for me for a couple nights. A camper shell and a cot or futon mattress would be the way to go though.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I would love to do the camper shell idea but I have a large slip tank I need in my truck and don’t want to be lifting a shell off and on my truck all time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jspradley

WKR
I sleep in the back of my Lesbaru Forester with the rear seats down fairly often... ive done the back of the pickup bed thing too. Both work well, I do want to make a plywood platform to level off the ridges and bumps though. I picked up a 3" thick foam twin matress for about $60 on Amazon. good stuff

Gooshnt

FNG

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting a bed topper for my pickup to do some truck camping on my future hunts. Applying in more remote units, but not really backpacking units. Put a topper on, cots and bags in the back. Heater is necessary.

My setup is a Chevy 1500 with a 6.5' bed. I snagged a cab-height Leer topper off of Craigslist for $450, it's slightly mismatched but functional and I like it.

I often leave after work and drive for a few hours to hunt for a weekend. It's nice to just crawl in the back and hit the rack.

Typically, I have a 7 gallon water jug, large cooler, small cooler, one huge Rubbermaid tub of general camp gear, and a small tub of cookwares. My backpack and food stay in the cab.

Before I leave, I setup the cot and and tip it on it's side. The rest of the stuff is arranged so it won't crush the cot. When I get to the parking spot, I just stack the tubs and set down the cot. Blow up my pad and throw my bag/quilt down.

My buddy has been trying to convince me to add a drawer system to the bottom. His is carpeted and I couldn't go for that. I want to be able to hose out the bed. Some of the drop-in systems look nice but not enough for the cost. And I like the headroom when I sit up to get dressed. I'll probably pull the topper and remove the factory bedliner so I can finally rhinoline the bed this year.

The only must have for me is the cot. It beats the hell out of sleeping right on the bed floor.