Sleeping in a crew cab truck ?

If you don't want a topper, one option would be tying off a tarp to your bedrail and throwing a cot under it. One of my buddies did that with his roof rack this year and it looked like it worked well. Before I had my topper, I was running a big blue tarp over the bed and staking it out on both sides.

rfra

FNG
Another vote for the bed under a topper/cap. I do it a lot and makes for very fast camping when hunting on the go. I use a closed cell foam roll to even out the bumps in the bed and then throw my Big Agnes inflatable insulated pad on that and it's very comfortable. Just crack a vent/window or it will be full of condensation in the morning!

wyodan

WKR
Sleeping in the cab sucks. You can't really stretch out, although I have done it more than I'd like to admit. I found it to be worth my time to either set up my tent, or just sleep in the back. I will have a topper again someday, that was the best system I've used for camping out without having to set things up.

F150 supercrew, 5.5 bed. Tried cab a few times, then bought a topper. $120 memory foam mattress from Amazon and sleep like an absolute dream.

Memory foam because it bends when the fold up the tailgate. Up, one person can sleep diagonal. Down, two people can use it. Hypochondriac? Just keep that plastic sheet the mattress came in to cover it up when you throw all your other stuff on top.
Spent over 100 nights this way, it’s great. BTW hotel wparking lots are ideal sleeping places.

I'm 5'4" with a 2012 f150 crew cab..and I absolutly hate sleeping in the back of the cab. I'm stiff and sore every time. I will bring my hammock every time and find a way to set it up. I've slept in the cab only when it was freezing cold and my boys were with the boy scouts camping and I had to be there. Set my oldest up in my hammock with my winter system and he was quite warm and loved it while I fought sleeping in the back of the truck..finally just sat in the drivers seat and reclined it back.

MichaelD

FNG
Found out this fall I am a little too claustraphobic to sleep in the cab. Use the topper with a cot most weekends. I purchased this cot so I can push it up to the side of the bed. It only has two sets of legs (at the ends) so the wheel well is not a factor. https://www.camptime.com/collections/cots/products/green-table-with-adjustable-legs
I tried to sleep in the cab one weekend when I took the topper off to haul the 4-wheeler along. Ended up crawling out of the pickup at 2 am and putting up my cheap walmart tent in the rain and slept like a baby.

EJMK

FNG
Another vote here for not sleeping in the cab of your truck. I used to have to sleep in my work truck, we would get called out and have to wait until they were ready for us. We used to get pretty creative but like everyone else said if you’re over about 6’0 there isn’t anything I found that can make it comfortable. I’m all about being able to stretch out and get a few hours of comfortable rest versus fighting being uncomfortable and stiff/sore from a bad sleep situation.

Jimss

WKR
Nothing like having gobs of room for storage and sleeping inside a topper! Wind, snow, rain, sleet, and hail....it doesn't matter inside a topper I stay warm and dry! I've been comfortable for a couple weeks at a time each year in my truck and topper. Nice having a mobile camp!

I have quick and easy access to a couple bins of clothes and gear inside my cab.

I just lay on the seat. That is one benefit of being short. I have looked at the mattresses though. Just havent been able to justify it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’d get a good set up in the bed of the truck over inside the cab any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s probably been long enough now that you’ve already got your topper but here’s my 2 cents. I am looking into the possibility of swapping my tundras front bench seat for a van futon/bench seat. The idea is to lay the front seat flat.. I doubt it will line up nicely with the rear seat but my plan is to remove the rear seat or modify it in such a way that when the front bench seats are in futon mode there is little or no gap between the front and back. Also a little bonus would be figuring out some way of making more bed length by filling the front seat leg room. I’m going to have a rooftop tent too eventually but traveling around different cities I think it will be nice to have a camping setup that looks like a normal car parked and not some safari overland rig

WCB

WKR
I've slept in the back of my crew cab with the seats up. I'm 5'8" though so.....I have also slept in the back and if your truck is sealed up really well then it works out great. But the bed of my last couple trucks got so dusty there is no way I was going to crawl into it to sleep. I'm 35 and spent a night or two in the front seat this past season and that is no longer and option....no idea how I did it for years when I was younger.

Just bought a new truck and will put a topper on it and seal it up the best I can to avoid dust. Some of the setups guys talk about sound awesome but no idea if they don't drive in dusty conditions? Just this past fall in Wyoming I could almost shovel the dust out of my pickup bed.

OR Archer

WKR

sasquatch

WKR
I've slept in the back of my crew cab with the seats up. I'm 5'8" though so.....I have also slept in the back and if your truck is sealed up really well then it works out great. But the bed of my last couple trucks got so dusty there is no way I was going to crawl into it to sleep. I'm 35 and spent a night or two in the front seat this past season and that is no longer and option....no idea how I did it for years when I was younger.

Just bought a new truck and will put a topper on it and seal it up the best I can to avoid dust. Some of the setups guys talk about sound awesome but no idea if they don't drive in dusty conditions? Just this past fall in Wyoming I could almost shovel the dust out of my pickup bed.

You can get them sealed up pretty damn good. Tooo me a while but I was able to succeed where not much gets in even in the Dusty roads out west

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I sleep in the back of my Ram 1500 Crew Cab. I leave the seats up. I built a platform in the back of the cab with a rug on it. When it come time to sleep I lay out a foam mattress. I am 6’1” 245 lbs and I sleep great back there.

Try it one night at home as a test run and see for yourself.

Only you can decide if it's worth it or not. Done it many times, but when I was younger. Still not as comfortable as a full length bed, but do it enough times and you learn how.

elkguide

WKR
Let me begin by saying that as much as I hate to admit it,

"I'm maturing...... not very well, but I am maturing."

Been driving West for 30+ years and I used to sleep in the drivers seat. Then in the back seat. Then (under my truck cap) in the back. Now I have a 6" piece of foam that I got from an upholstery shop that is in my pickup bed under my cap. I also used to drive the 35 hour drive straight through. Then I began to stop after 19 or 20 hours, sleep in the back and then finish the drive the next day. Now, a $79 motel room at least one of the nights that I stop is a very cheap investment.