SLC 15x56 vs Meopta Meostar 15x56 vs EL 12x50

Crusader

WKR
Wanted to get some input from you guys on a binocs choice dilemma. I'm 63 y/o and have 20-20 vision, uncorrected. I hunt whitetails in northern Missouri, from elevated stands overlooking large fields. We have a 4-point minimum on one side for bucks; all tines have to be at least 1" long. My binocs over the last couple seasons have been a 2020 model SLC 10x42. In 2021 I was viewing a large, walking buck at 200 yards in overcast conditions against a difficult background and couldn't tell for sure if it had brow tines; saw three large tines on each side. This past season, I had a similar situation though this was at the end of the day viewing a large buck at about 125 yards and I couldn't tell for sure if his brows were 1" long. So I was thinking that moving up to 15x binocs would be the way to go. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I acquired a new pair of Meopta 15x56 B1 Plus binocs. I took them on a doe hunt last week and I wasn't all that impressed with the brightness of the FOV in the last 10 minutes or so of shooting light.

So here's what I'm thinking and what my question is. First, I'm wondering if the extra magnification of the 15xs is not worth the tradeoff of the small exit pupil (3.7). And, despite the many reviews of users on here and some outdoor industry writers which say the Meopta 15s are right there with the SLC 15s, maybe the SLCs are better and would be worth the nearly double price over the Meopta?

Second, could it be that 12x50 ELs would be the sweet spot and a better choice, giving me greater magnification than my 10x SLCs and better glass and exit pupil (4.2) than the 15x56 Meopta? Can any of you guys comment on the comparison between 12x50 EL and 15x56 SLC for best resolution in low light? I realize the ELs are the most costly of all these binoculars but at my age it would probably be the last binocular purchase I'd make and would therefore be worth it. I could get those and sell my 10x42 SLC and the Meopta 15s.

Thanks in advance for replies and for enduring this long post!

Tmac

WKR
For me there was not enough difference in 15x56’s to pay Swaro. My Meopta’s work very well. For your use case, 12x could be the ticket. What you might want to do is rent a pair of Swaro or Meopta 12x50’s or the like, and compare to your Meopta 15x’s in low light. That or buy a pair from a place with a generous return policy.

SDHNTR

WKR
For your purposes, a spotting scope is a better tool. You are trophy judging. The difference between 10-12x is unlikely to show you what you need.

15x might, but it’s the wrong tool for the job. Big binos are for long term, longer distance glassing. They are for spending hours staring through them at 1/2-1 mile or so, on a tripod only. Big binos are only usable on a tripod. Period. You cannot hand hold them steady enough. They are a commonly used tool out west under big vistas, scanning for game. When the game is found and it’s time to scrutinize the details, you need a spotter.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
For your purposes, a spotting scope is a better tool. You are trophy judging. The difference between 10-12x is unlikely to show you what you need.

15x might, but it’s the wrong tool for the job. Big binos are for long term, longer distance glassing. They are for spending hours staring through them at 1/2-1 mile or so, on a tripod only. Big binos are only usable on a tripod. Period. You cannot hand hold them steady enough. They are a commonly used tool out west under big vistas, scanning for game. When the game is found and it’s time to scrutinize the details, you need a spotter.
How would a spotting scope work in a tree stand?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
He didn’t say a tree stand, but there are lots of mount options that would work.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The new compact spotter from Swaro is your ticket for this application. Spotter than can fit in a cargo pocket, great image and field of view. Plenty of very lightweight mounting options for it as well for being in a stand.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I sold my 15 slc and went to 12x50 el. Those el are the best western glass made imo. I run 8x32 el for eastern hunting and on my chest and the 12s on a tripod. Anyone who says the meopta are the same as the el hasn’t spent time behind both in that 500-1500 yard range. The swaros crush them on clarity.

I’ve had EL 12’s and SLC 15’s. EL 12’s are the shit. I would like to get NL and EL 12’s both side by side. I played with some NL 8’s and 10’s in a store and they didn’t have the flat image like the EL’s.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
Thanks for the good replies, guys. Especially Wheels, thanks for the loan option.

Yeah, we typically hunt from 6'x4' elevated blinds; the logistics of trying to get a tripod or something similar to mount binocs on would be extremely difficult, as well as getting them on game quickly enough. Some of these deer might only be present for very short periods of time. And I'm able to get what I feel is a pretty solid, shake-free hold by resting elbows or the binocs themselves on the blind's window frame so I don't think shaking is the issue. A buddy of mine has 15x56 SLCs, I might see if I could borrow his and compare with my Meoptas.

I'm kinda leaning towards the 12x ELs but have never held them and don't know if I'd experience the "rolling ball effect." Actually, I'm not even sure how to recognize it. One other possibility is maybe my local Cabela's has the 12x ELs in stock; if so, do you think I would be able to recognize the rolling ball effect when viewing through those in the store, or is it something that would require outside use for more than a minute or two?

Sheldon N

Lil-Rokslider
And I'm able to get what I feel is a pretty solid, shake-free hold by resting elbows or the binocs themselves on the blind's window frame so I don't think shaking is the issue.

I think the difference in resolution between the 12's and 15's or between the 15 SLC and 15 Meopta are going to be subtle enough that you really do need them to be *absolutely* stable in order to tell. I've got the Meopta 12x50's as well as the SLC 15's and have also done some A vs B with the new NL Pure 12x50's. I think the SLC 15's are the best for picking up the smallest details at distance - my case it was trying to look at bullet marks on 1000 yard steel. If I were hand holding, even supported elbows on a window ledge, there's no way I could see those differences.

What about putting a lag bolt into the blind window sill and/or some sort of clamp so you could mount a ballhead? RRS makes some nice stuff that could help.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve had EL 12’s and SLC 15’s. EL 12’s are the shit. I would like to get NL and EL 12’s both side by side. I played with some NL 8’s and 10’s in a store and they didn’t have the flat image like the EL’s.

I had the NL 12s and EL SV 12s side by side and these are my thoughts (Ryan Avery mentions his conclusions as well):

JMO, YMMV, etc.

SDHNTR

WKR
You’re in a box blind. Mount a midrange spotter to the window. Done. I’m not trying to talk you out of alpha binos, but it just seems like massive overkill for your needs. Again, the big binos (especially $2000 ones!) are for guys who spend continuous hours staring through them at long distances looking for the flicker of an ear or the blink of an eye revealing a bedded buck. Not trophy judging a whitetail a couple hundreds yards away. You aren’t asking for much.