SLC 15x56 vs Meopta Meostar 15x56 vs EL 12x50

After reading all the posts above I agree with most of the comments

All the mentioned binos will perform a lot better in resolution when tripod mounted. That being said a large objective quality spotter on lower magnification will work well at low light. This of course requires a tripod.

I personally owned 12x50 els and slc 15s at the same time. I still own the 15s.to my eyes I liked the extra power.

Maybe you should look at upgrading your rifle scope, I'm sure there are some made that would help you judge a brow time in low light.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
After reading all the posts above I agree with most of the comments

All the mentioned binos will perform a lot better in resolution when tripod mounted. That being said a large objective quality spotter on lower magnification will work well at low light. This of course requires a tripod.

I personally owned 12x50 els and slc 15s at the same time. I still own the 15s.to my eyes I liked the extra power.

Maybe you should look at upgrading your rifle scope, I'm sure there are some made that would help you judge a brow time in low light.
Good thoughts. However, a tripod mounted spotter in the blind is really a non-starter. While hunting, I'm looking out through windows on at least 3 sides, maybe 4 (depending on blind placement, some are against a woods line, so that window would be closed). Deer could be viewed from any of those sides/windows. So what if the buck is in a position such that it's viewed through one of the the 2 or 3 windows that the tripod is not mounted on? Almost zero chance that it could be removed and re-mounted in the viewing window, buck acquired in the spotter view, judgment/evaluation made, rifle picked up, target acquired, shot executed before said buck is out of view/range. Very unlikely. Often times there may only be 30 seconds or so to make a shoot/don't shoot decision. So while optimal for evaluation, I just don't think the spotting scope scenario is realistic for this application.

I've got a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 scope on the rifle, I think it's fine and sufficient. I'm leaning towards keeping my eyes out for a used set of the 12x ELs and then comparing them in low light conditions with my buddy's SLC 15s.

Good thoughts. However, a tripod mounted spotter in the blind is really a non-starter. While hunting, I'm looking out through windows on at least 3 sides, maybe 4 (depending on blind placement, some are against a woods line, so that window would be closed). Deer could be viewed from any of those sides/windows. So what if the buck is in a position such that it's viewed through one of the the 2 or 3 windows that the tripod is not mounted on? Almost zero chance that it could be removed and re-mounted in the viewing window, buck acquired in the spotter view, judgment/evaluation made, rifle picked up, target acquired, shot executed before said buck is out of view/range. Very unlikely. Often times there may only be 30 seconds or so to make a shoot/don't shoot decision. So while optimal for evaluation, I just don't think the spotting scope scenario is realistic for this application.

I've got a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 scope on the rifle, I think it's fine and sufficient. I'm leaning towards keeping my eyes out for a used set of the 12x ELs and then comparing them in low light conditions with my buddy's SLC 15s.
In regards to the 12 vs. 15 theory unless you have them on a tripod you are not going to see fine detail in low light. I have spent a lot of time in the field with both and still own 15s.
Good luck with your search. Hope you find what best suits your needs

OspreyZB

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think more magnification is going to give you what you're wanting, out of hand held binoculars. As others have said, high powered binoculars really need to be mounted to get the most out of them. That said, the 56mm Swarovski SLC-HDs are one of the only alpha binoculars in production that use AK prisms, which allow for better light transmission than the standard SP prisms used in most roofs (like the Meostar). I think you're best bet would be a 10x56 SLC. They are a totally different beast than your 10x42 SLC, with better light transmission, larger exit pupils, and more eye-relief. The extra size/weight shouldn't be an issue hunting from a blind.

eamyrick

WKR

Where I Mule Deer hunt in West Texas there are several box blinds. First thing I do is set up my tripod. Takes some maneuvering but the outdoorsman adapter lets me go from binos to handheld quickly. I can also use the tripod as a rifle support. The ability to judge deer with 10s on a tripod vs handheld is noticeable.

I’m getting the new Swaro STC to use for the upcoming season. It’s perfect at 17-25 power just laid on the blind window and up to 40 on a tripod.

KenLee

WKR
At 200 yards, I'd be wishing for my NL 8x42.
Clarity and light trumps magnification, especially when your high magnification is shaking. You'd be amazed how much less shake shows up with 8x vs even 10x.

Last edited:

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but if you can glass off of a sand bag in the blind that is the way to go. Once you are set up move the sand bag not the binoculars .

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
I sold my 15 slc and went to 12x50 el. Those el are the best western glass made imo. I run 8x32 el for eastern hunting and on my chest and the 12s on a tripod. Anyone who says the meopta are the same as the el hasn’t spent time behind both in that 500-1500 yard range. The swaros crush them on clarity.
I respectfully disagree. I’ve had both side by side multiple time and difference times of day. The main discernible difference is slightly improved eye relief of the SLC’s. The difference definitely wasn’t worth an extra 1K. I use 8x42 SLC and the 15x56 Meopta. I always have to ask myself if an item or extra expense will make me more successful. I can afford either, I just want to value for the extra expense. To me, it was and still is an easy decision.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I respectfully disagree. I’ve had both side by side multiple time and difference times of day. The main discernible difference is slightly improved eye relief of the SLC’s. The difference definitely wasn’t worth an extra 1K. I use 8x42 SLC and the 15x56 Meopta. I always have to ask myself if an item or extra expense will make me more successful. I can afford either, I just want to value for the extra expense. To me, it was and still is an easy decision.
The flat image on 12 el is just so much nicer then the 15 slc. Plus the 15s are much heavier lugging around. Nothing wrong with the slc but they are not in the same league as the el or pures imo.

I was comparing the 12 el vs the 15slc and 15 Meopta. As I stated before the clarity on the el is leaps and bounds better then both of the 15s imo.

The flat image on 12 el is just so much nicer then the 15 slc. Plus the 15s are much heavier lugging around. Nothing wrong with the slc but they are not in the same league as the el or pures imo.

I was comparing the 12 el vs the 15slc and 15 Meopta. As I stated before the clarity on the el is leaps and bounds better then both of the 15s imo.
Yup , same experience here. The EL is just a nicer binocular

Shraggs

WKR
My two cents….

Light gather improves detail or resolution. So does magnification even if apparent and measured “brightness” are less. If I’m not mistaken the 15 slc have a higher twilight rating the than the 12s - from memory tho.

I’m 60 like you our eyes have changed and my thoughts today are different than 10 years ago. 10x42 is 4.2 exit, 15x56 is 3.7, 12x50 is 4.8. I think the likely bang for the dollar is more light to your eye.

Love my swaros but also ZEISS. My 8x42 victory are significantly brighter than all my swaros and are my go to choice for whitetail. I can see deer in the dead or night at 300 yds- no horns tho. That may be a consideration in their newest sf series in a 10 large bell.

I’m ocd, ha. I set a mount in trees to see what my distance limits where to judge antlers with naked eyes. 75 yards. So an 8 I can in theory field judge at 600 if - it’s great glass and great lighting, and the animals give me a static opportunity to view. Subtract from that at last light etc. I agree with shake but I just use my elbows on my front bino harness and it’s as steady as anything snd I’m not risking a tripod oops bang in a stand.

I still use my meopta 15x56 for this if a field edge im in measured in a miles. The extra power works but takes more time for me to study. Often use my 12 els in same scenario and they are brighter by a lot. But in mixed timber and fields or a setup the animals are on the move only than it’s my 8s.

I had the NL 12s and EL SV 12s side by side and these are my thoughts (Ryan Avery mentions his conclusions as well):

JMO, YMMV, etc.

I got to put hands on the NL 12x42’s today… holy shit, NEED.

Image in them didn’t roll like the 10x42 NL’s. The FOV is absolutely amazing, it was like a pair of good 10’s.

I’m going to move a few things and order some.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I got to put hands on the NL 12x42’s today… holy shit, NEED.

Image in them didn’t roll like the 10x42 NL’s. The FOV is absolutely amazing, it was like a pair of good 10’s.

I’m going to move a few things and order some.
They are pretty amazing. A lot of hunters love the 12s for sure.

For me though, I just couldn't freehand them quite steady enough, and 10s seem to be just about right.

On the tripod? The 12 NLs are money.

They are pretty amazing. A lot of hunters love the 12s for sure.

For me though, I just couldn't freehand them quite steady enough, and 10s seem to be just about right.

On the tripod? The 12 NLs are money.

I was free handing them in front of the store and was actually surprised at the image freehand, most above 10 suck freehand. I’ve got EL 8.5x42’s and two pair of BX4 8x42’s for that though. I should have kept my EL12’s or SLC15’s but I guess getting the latest isn’t so bad. The FOV compared to what I remember of my EL12’s is amazing.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
My two cents….

Light gather improves detail or resolution. So does magnification even if apparent and measured “brightness” are less. If I’m not mistaken the 15 slc have a higher twilight rating the than the 12s - from memory tho.

I’m 60 like you our eyes have changed and my thoughts today are different than 10 years ago. 10x42 is 4.2 exit, 15x56 is 3.7, 12x50 is 4.8. I think the likely bang for the dollar is more light to your eye.

Love my swaros but also ZEISS. My 8x42 victory are significantly brighter than all my swaros and are my go to choice for whitetail. I can see deer in the dead or night at 300 yds- no horns tho. That may be a consideration in their newest sf series in a 10 large bell.

I’m ocd, ha. I set a mount in trees to see what my distance limits where to judge antlers with naked eyes. 75 yards. So an 8 I can in theory field judge at 600 if - it’s great glass and great lighting, and the animals give me a static opportunity to view. Subtract from that at last light etc. I agree with shake but I just use my elbows on my front bino harness and it’s as steady as anything snd I’m not risking a tripod oops bang in a stand.

I still use my meopta 15x56 for this if a field edge im in measured in a miles. The extra power works but takes more time for me to study. Often use my 12 els in same scenario and they are brighter by a lot. But in mixed timber and fields or a setup the animals are on the move only than it’s my 8s.
Thanks for your "two cents." It seems like your use/application is similar to mine; a tripod in the blind logistically just isn't doable. I can rest the binos on the window frame and it's steady. At my age brightness may trump magnification so I think I'm leaning towards the 12x ELs, just need to get ahold of some to try.

Thanks for your "two cents." It seems like your use/application is similar to mine; a tripod in the blind logistically just isn't doable. I can rest the binos on the window frame and it's steady. At my age brightness may trump magnification so I think I'm leaning towards the 12x ELs, just need to get ahold of some to try.

You really should look at the NL 12’s. I owned the EL 12’s and SLC 15’s at the same time and spent about 20 minutes with the NL 12’s this weekend and was sold. They did very very well without a tripod. Don’t know if it’s the ergos or FOV or what but it’s not like you’re trying to free hand 12’s. They also have the same FOV as good 10’s. The price difference isn’t as bad between the EL and NL 12’s as compared to 8’s and 10’s.

IdahoBeav

WKR
The price difference isn’t as bad between the EL and NL 12’s as compared to 8’s and 10’s.
Only if you're buying the ELs new in the store. There are a ton of them for sale used for $2k +/-. I really liked the NL, but to me, it wasn't worth an extra $1200 (now $1500) over the EL.