Sitka took a stand

207d81d9d134cecb83dfa67335389ec6.png

Sitka has just taken a stand against drilling in ANWR. It’s a shame they think responsible oil development should not take place. Being a born and raised Alaskan I understand how important resource development is to our state and our country’s wellbeing. I find it ironic that a company’s clothing that is petroleum-based is against oil development. I have personally hunted in ANWR and the central Arctic and have first-hand experience of the coexistence that takes place between man and animal. I’ve worked as far West as Point Hope and as far East as Kaktovik. The operators and citizens all understand the importance of cohabitation. Please pass this along and show support to Alaska and find another camo manufacturer to purchase from. I will be voicing my opinion to Sportsman’s Warehose and Cabelas. Please join me in taking a stand.
- Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Good on them. I agree with them, that drilling in that area would be a mistake and I appreciate them standing up for conservation and the environment.
Not only I will let them no, I will palce an order too....my son can use a set of kids clothing to tag along with on some local hunts this year. That kids status jacket will work nicely..

Last edited:
Hunting requires intact biological systems, why wouldnt Sitka stick up for conserving the places that make hunting possible? Hell if you're so gung ho that you think we should drill in a wildlife refuge it suggests maybe, hunting isnt that important to you, and you should go cry elsewhere instead of a hunting forum....

Vandy321

WKR
Last I checked (which was now) our oil reserves where at a high second only to that in 1971.

Whats the need? Serious question, someone in the know please correct me if I'm wrong...Oil production has been cut 900,000 barrels per day because low prices are not as profitable so companies scale back production? Its not a supply issue.

Keep the wild, wild....drill more in Texas instead😉

JPD350

WKR
I think it's a healthy balance to have a whole array of opinions on the subject, I am on both sides of the argument. I wouldn't mind a compromise of getting the front end of drilling set up to act quickly if emergency oil is needed but drilling will only happen when and if it's a national emergency. I know this probably wouldn't work because a private company wouldn't want to have a bunch of investment in limbo but maybe the government/we the people can foot the bill and once drilling starts a private company can pay it back

Broomd

WKR
Screw 'em and the horse they rode in on.
I've been to ANWR--walked the muskeg there.
ANWRs biomass is predominately mosquito larva--yes bou are there as well as other ungulates and carnivores. Properly managed the caribou and everything else can peacefully co-exist.

Sitka needs to stick to gear and keep their mouths shut about everything else. TIred of these companies opining on things of which they have no comprehension.

Last edited:
I normally dont put too much thought into these types of discussions but this one is really pissing me off. How messed up it is it that a outdoorsman is telling us to boycott a outdoor company because they want to protect a wildplace??? sorry but once we start crossing these lines no matter how good of a idea or intentions it will go south it always does. Why. because of human greed. It's why people fought to set these places aside so they could never be exploited. Would we all be okay with mining in Yellowstone or glacier how about Denali. I would hope outdoorsman would take a stand to protect these places. We have more oil than we can even use currently so let's leave the wild wild.

11boo

WKR
We drilled the hell out of Western Colorado and the elk didn’t mind. Cut pipelines and put in compressor stations all over. Elk still don’t mind.

I don’t love seeing some nice country developed like that, but I HATE seeing America depending on foreign oil. Why should we not be producing our own oil and nat gas?

We drilled the hell out of Western Colorado and the elk didn’t mind. Cut pipelines and put in compressor stations all over. Elk still don’t mind.

I don’t love seeing some nice country developed like that, but I HATE seeing America depending on foreign oil. Why should we not be producing our own oil and nat gas?
we already produce more than we use

Brendan

WKR
Good for Sitka, I agree with them.

Truly wild places are getting fewer and fewer, and you never get that back after any sort of development. Those places are more important to me than the short term (and very marginal) economic benefit you get from drilling.

I support responsible resource extraction, just not there. Loop Pebble Mine into that category while we're at it.

Coming from the Midwest and spending a lot of time in the Missouri and Arkansas Ozarks, I wish this natural conservation was done here about 100 years earlier. Virtually the entirety of the Ozarks (and the rest of the states) have been logged. I think like a hundredth of a percent are intact. We will never know what it looked like before humans ravaged the resources (lumber) here. Even the large protected areas like the national scenic river ways are not actually preserved in their original state. The forest that replaced the clear cutting in the early 20th century is not the same as what we have now.

We have a finite amount of undisturbed landscape in this world. It cannot be remade or truly restored so the option is either halting or subtraction. You can only take from a finite resource so long before it is no more.

And before you say oil is finite, which it is, we have the technology to reduce and eventually eliminate a significant portion of its usage. We cannot do that for nature.