Sitka or Kuiu??? - Your input on the better system

davescarp

WKR
Where are you guys getting these discounts?? I wouldn't mind a last minute purchase of Mountain Pants and Core LS top before CO archery elk next month, if there's some deals to be had somewhere...

sitka has a pro-deal program... ;)

Mtnboy

WKR
I don't have experience with KUIU beyond touching & feeling at Sheep Show and using the Bino Harness for one hunt, I own a ton of Sitka and like it all. With price not really being a consideration it seems, and both companies being known to make excellent gear, I'd go Sitka.

For me, I like how much Sitka puts back in to hunting & conservation. They are huge sponsors of RMEF, WSF and a lot of other good programs etc. To me, that's important to support someone who "supports" us. That's not to say that KUIU doesn't give back as well, but I don't think it's on the level Sitka does. Just my 2 cents...

Cindy

FNG
I own both. And several others.

Kuiu is cheaper than Sitka.
Kuiu is also typically lighter weight than Sitka.

I like the Sitka knee pad systems better than the KUIU knee pads.

I like the Kuiu leg length better than the Sitka length.

I like the Sitka tack strip in the waist band. Keeps my pants from pulling down under the movement of my pack.

I LOVE the belt that comes on some Sitka pants (Mountain pant and equinox.)

Sitka often uses a better reinforcement around the inside ankle.

Sitka is way easier to get your hands on.

I don't think one is better than the other. One is cheaper than the other. Some articles have options that I want in Sitka, some in Kuiu.
thats why I own both.

For a warm weather pant, I cant say enough good about the Kuiu tiburon pant. That is one sweet hot weather pant.
For high altitude backpacking, I love the sitka ascent pant and the montane super terra pants.
For sheep and goat excursions I use the Sitka mountain pant. I shredded a pair of Kuiu attacks doing this stuff. Mountain pant is much better for this.
Kuiu guide pants are great for cooler weather.

You get the point, we don't need to get into down jackets, shirts, and rain wear.

Each offering from each company has a use.
The question is, what fits your uses best?
Who cares what the internet fan boys say?
Shop the products, based on your needs. Get what fits your uses and budget the best.

Sitka gear is highly desired by many. Its price is high. Can you afford to buy it? Can you afford to replace it if it gets hammered?
Kuiu gear is great. Its hard to get on demand. It has a high price as well. Not as high as Sitka, but still expensive. Can you afford to buy it? Can you afford to replace it? Does it meet your needs and wants?

First lite gear is also spendy, its less desired when compared to the other two.

I am not one to wear camouflage when not hunting. I do all my scouting and preparations in non camo clothes.
I would buy a pair of Montane super terra pants before buying either the Kuiu or Sitka offerings.

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
I went through this about 2 months ago myself as I was completely refitting myself for clothing. I get Pro-Deals through most companies, and did a cost to value ratio for myself. I do have just a couple things from each company, but I felt like one Kuiu piece was very fragile and it made me a little gunshy of them- although I still want to order the Guide Jacket and Pants as I hear they are "the best". In my opinion Kuiu is for simplicity and lightweight & Sitka for their innovations and durability but weighs more. (Just from my experiences)

I decided to go with all Sitka this year and give it a fair shot since price was very similar to everyone else (with my Pro Deal) and then try just a few Kuiu pieces for next year in an attempt to have a couple different options depending on the type of hunt. I'm trying the Kelvin hoody, Jetstream jacket, Kelvin pants, and another pair of the Timberline Pants. I have one set and it has been an awesome pair and I feel like I wont find a better set anywhere!

Firstlite is hands down the best base layer, but the article Sitka posted about the Navy Seals has really gotten me to think that a synthetic baselayer may be awesome for the right cercumstances. I also went with the FL raingear as I couldn't even come close to the quality for price of it. Time will tell on the rain gear since I haven't been able to use them yet where I live.

Just curious here. Why is tge OP swapping out kryptek? I don't hunt out west in the mountains but I've really liked my kryptek stuff. Of course that's the only " technical" clothing line I've used. Just curious if I'm missing something here.