Sitka or Kuiu??? - Your input on the better system

i think to get the best of the best in each piece you have to mix and match. kuiu holds its own throughout the entire line,IMO, never below 2nd or 3rd for a given item and a guy could outfit himself from square one, but i think sitka and other brands have a few pieces that are better.

carlc

Lil-Rokslider
Fwiw. I bought a few kuiu items go test last year, the Tiburon pants, merino 145 zip t and chugach pants. I was using sitka dewpoint jacket, 90% pants and jacket before. Long story short, I own all kuiu this year. After a scouting mission in two days of rain, I was soaked through with the jacket, and completely 100% dry waist down. The kuiu has a much better fit for me. 6'1 180. Zippers had broken and stitching pulled on the 90% pants in the first year. Also, the price tag is ridiculous, I know a non point for op, but not for the average guy. Also, all of my new items were ordered in the middle of July, and most were received 4 days later. The guide pants were backordered, but shipped within 10 days of ordering. A good friend of mine and elk hunting guide here in mt, borrowed my kuiu for one week, and also sold all of his sitka. Bash away, but the op asked, and I told my findings

I wonder how many people (fanboys) are really just enamored with the pattern rather than anything else.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Buy both. Return what doesn't fit well. I prefer the kuiu fit at 6'3" 195. The attack pants are tough to beat. Sitka, FL and Kuiu all make great gear. No experience with Kryptek. It's like the difference between a bacon wrapped filet and an aged ribeye. It's all good.

IdahoElk

WKR
I wonder how many people (fanboys) are really just enamored with the pattern rather than anything else.

For someone that hates Kuiu you seem to post on every kuiu thread? I think you're this sites biggest Kuiu Fanboy!
Ha! just kidding:D

Last edited:

All things being equal why wouldn't you buy what you like. I bought a new truck, got it in the color I wanted. when I bought a new bow, again ordered the color I wanted. Both patterns Kuiu offer are a good looking camo.

The fanboy moniker is getting old, so is the Kuiu basher title.

Pants. Kuiu attacks distant second is Sitka ascents

Base layer: Sitka core, I cannot stand Kuius merino. Although FL merino is better then both.

Mid layer: Sitka traverse is a nice piece, but Im really liking the FL fleece

Insulation: neither FL Puffy, if you want down go with a mountaineering company.

Rain gear: Kuiu hands down. For the price Kuiu is VERY tuff to beat.

Accessories: toss up.

Last edited:

velvetfvr

WKR
I get Sitka at a discount also, I haven't messed with kuiu or first lite. I'm sure it's quality pieces but I love my Sitka, from the pattern, to the tests they are to endure and the designers background, the gear works. It's pricey but so are the others. Best is to find what fits you best. Just like trucks, packs, bows, rifles etc. you can find what gets the job done for you nowadays.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
Like I said, from a technical standpoint, I don't know what the numbers will say, but after field testing KUIU Chugach, First Lite Stormtight and both sets of Kryptek rain gear, the Sitka Dewpoint will hold its own. And speaking of breathability of the jacket itself, the Sitka has the best venting of any of them, so if the laminate membrane does not breathe, the jacket does.

Again, I'm only speaking of field use and I've extensively used all of the above in the field in adverse conditions in the mountains and the Dewpoint is my favorite of the bunch. Take that for what it is worth, just real life use without all the science and technical information.

Kotaman; Before you said my post had misinformation. Now you are saying you don't know what the numbers will say from a technical standpoint? I would suggest digging into the technical aspects just a bit before you accuse someone of spreading misinformation.

For someone that hates Kuiu you seem to post on every kuiu thread? I think your this sites biggest Kuiu Fanboy!
Ha! just kidding:D

Before you stretch this anymore:

1. The comment you quoted did not mention Kuiu did it?
2. This is NOT a Kuiu thtread, it is a "which is a better system" thread (but fanboys see what they wanna see)
3. I own all 3 products the OP was inquiring about and have not "bashed" anyone.
4. I don't "hate kuiu"...I just think they the owner is lacking basic business skills.
5. I point out deficiencies with Sitka and other gear just as much as do Kuiu's shortcomings. That's what this forum is for.

IdahoElk

WKR
Before you stretch this anymore:

1. The comment you quoted did not mention Kuiu did it?
2. This is NOT a Kuiu thtread, it is a "which is a better system" thread (but fanboys see what they wanna see)
3. I own all 3 products the OP was inquiring about and have not "bashed" anyone.
4. I don't "hate kuiu"...I just think they the owner is lacking basic business skills.
5. I point out deficiencies with Sitka and other gear just as much as do Kuiu's shortcomings. That's what this forum is for.

I wasn't being serious,using the term fanboy made me laugh.

Kotaman

WKR
Kotaman; Before you said my post had misinformation. Now you are saying you don't know what the numbers will say from a technical standpoint? I would suggest digging into the technical aspects just a bit before you accuse someone of spreading misinformation.

I don't care about the technical aspects. What I care about is how the jacket performs under "real world" conditions. Usually people that rely soley on "technical aspects" have no real world experience. Don't know if that is the case here or not, but I certainly hate to rely on just technical jargon.

I'll admit "misinformation" was a bad word. Misleading would've been better. Like I said, I will put my Sitka Dewpoint up against any of the jackets mentioned in this thread (oh wait, I've done that), and like the rain gear test I shared the link to, it will come out on top whether it is using a '70's laiminate or not. As hunters we are lucky to have so many great choices today, as you really can't go wrong with any of the top tier offerings.

Here's what I DO know: I've owned the Chugach and Yukon from KUIU. I've owned the Posieden and Koldo from Kryptek. I currently own the First Lite Stormtight and Sitka Dewpoint and Coldfront. Everyone of these jackets has been on at least one extreme mountain hunt. Everyone of these has seen pouring rain. Some have worked better than others at keeping me dry and some have worked better than others in the breathability department. Technical aspects aside, my favorite of the bunch for keeping me dry AND breathing is the Sitka Dewpoint. Not to say the others don't work, in fact the FL Stormtight is a close second and Chugach a close third. But what do I know since I don't know the "technical aspects" of each jacket...

A 3-part equation. Individual user + today's weather + garment = totally unique outcome and evaluation every time. Body-mapping, technical specifications, and science-based predictions all make me laugh inwardly. Take it to the woods and get real. Get wet, hot, bloody, dirty and beaten up. Do it over and over in many types of gear. Wear it out.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did they actually test for breath ability or just toss in a score based off MFG claims?

I've seen a lot of actual lab tests... None of Goretex's lines beat: toray's Nx, omnidry, cocona's 37.5, and a couple others. With that said your still going to sweat, but all of them will keep you dry.

Goretex's isn't the best WPB by the numbers. But they where the best at eliminating competition in the market place for years... But that's another subject.

I don't think one line Sitka, kuiu or firstlite is really better then the other. Each company has a different "fit". What we all tend to judge by is actually the "fit". They all have great technology, from WPB laminates, to outer fabrics. But each person has a different shape, so fit is a relative perspective.

As far as the OP. Rock what ever is the best deal you can get !!!in the long run none of it will last forever and you will eventually replace it anyway. As far as Kuiu you can call and see what they have in stock.
I'm the guy that did the rain test.. Below is my quote from the article.
"Breathability is difficult to measure objectively across a wide variety of jackets without controlled test conditions. To make the test realistic and consistent I combined real world activity with a controlled environment by using a spin bike in the relative comfort of my home. In this way I could control the temperature, effort, and duration to ensure a consistent measure for each jacket. This test was performed with each jacket zipped to just below the chin and with the pit zips closed. "

Breathability is a PITA to measure. The only way I can vouch for it is that it either breathes or it don't, or it kinda does. :) For light weight, hard working, high country pursuits; where every ounce counts, I have not found a better solution than the Sitka Dewpoint. Some mountaineering companies may come close, but I have not tested those jackets. Lab tests may help guide us, but nothing beats field tests. I really like the Chugach rain gear, it performed great; but its heavier than my Dewpoint. As an ounce counting wannabe sheep hunter the Dewpoint won my loyalty.

Kotaman and I seem to have had very similar experiences and he seems to be every bit the rain gear junky I am in. I've ran through a ton of gear the last 5 years or so. I only own the Sitka & First Lite offerings having passed the others on. KUIU's new stuff seems intriguing, but I'm pretty darn happy with my Dewpoint, Stormfront, Boundary Stormtight, and Coldfront rain gear. I will be testing the new Blizzard jacket this fall.

I have beat the tar out of my Boundary Stormtight jacket. Fishing, camping, hunting, rafting, etc. Biggest weakness is how much water it seems to hold, and how long it takes to dry out. But, its quieter than most of my other rain gear and it does keep me dry. The loose fit in the chest is VERY conducive to fishing and packing a chest holster.

The Dewpoint set is a high country, backpack hunter's ideal companion. Breathes extremely well, dries amazingly fast, and it has yet to ever fail on me. My set has some serious mileage on it and just keeps ticking on.

I spent a week on Raspberry Island battling the elements in my Stormfront set. If you have ever busted brush there you know its rough on rain gear. Biggest complaint would be the knees. I utilize integrated knee pad pants and after a week of kneeling in mud and busting brush the knees wetted out. I'd love to see Sitka double layer the Stormfront knees.

I utilize my Coldfront gear as my winter snow gear here in AK. Its like having a waterproof soft shell. Its heavy, waterproof, yet breathes surprisingly well. My set is in the solid gray color and its one of my most used daily wear jackets in the winter.

The Blizzard is new to me, but it was designed to keep you warm while sitting in cold, windy, wet weather. It will be the jacket I sit in this fall as I glass and call moose. Should be interesting to see how it performs. Its like a puffy jacket and the Stormfront had a baby.. : )

Rain gear is fun, but like we have said, matching the right rain gear to the right task is key..

Last edited:

7stw

WKR
You stated your getting a deep discount on sitka if the savings is enough go that route. Totally depends on what you're needs/wants are. I bought some of the early sitka and replaced it with newer stuff. Then I started trying Kuiu kryptek and first lite As sitka was getting stupid expensive especially for the insulation and outerware. I personally only have two sitka items left a pair of mountain ascent pants and gaiters. (They're shorter than my Kuiu )Most of my gear is Kuiu with a few pieces of first lite left. It works for me and my style of hunting best. I also work outside and love my chugach set so much I bought a set in solid color. I am going to use the kifaru lost lake parka as a puffy got it this spring and was highly impressed with it. I'm not super loyal to any one brand. Whatever works is what I use.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
@Kotaman; From misinformation to misleading? How? I posted that GoreTex is a membrane that was developed in the 1970's. This information is widely available along with the breathability numbers. I'm not posting anything new here.

I think it's funny you said my post it is misinformation/misleading, then turn it into a fluff piece on the Dewpoint jacket.

Ironman8

WKR
Where are you guys getting these discounts?? I wouldn't mind a last minute purchase of Mountain Pants and Core LS top before CO archery elk next month, if there's some deals to be had somewhere...

dotman

WKR
If you look at these results, and compare to the KUIU NX which is now extremely light, and the Teton (which is 3 layer and extremely light) I wonder how things would stack up. Honest question... I (perhaps stupidly) just bought the KUIU Teton 3 layer rain jacket for my country muley hunt in a week. I am stressing to know if that will keep me dry, or should i have bought the 6-8 more ounces.

A guy on AT just posted that he received his Teton rain jacket and that it feels very cheap and fragile, he wishes he had spent a few more $$. Now he hasn't tested it but just his initial impression wasn't positive. Think it had a fit problem and ran really small for him as well.

dotman

WKR
I don't care about the technical aspects. What I care about is how the jacket performs under "real world" conditions. Usually people that rely soley on "technical aspects" have no real world experience. Don't know if that is the case here or not, but I certainly hate to rely on just technical jargon.

I'll admit "misinformation" was a bad word. Misleading would've been better. Like I said, I will put my Sitka Dewpoint up against any of the jackets mentioned in this thread (oh wait, I've done that), and like the rain gear test I shared the link to, it will come out on top whether it is using a '70's laiminate or not. As hunters we are lucky to have so many great choices today, as you really can't go wrong with any of the top tier offerings.

Here's what I DO know: I've owned the Chugach and Yukon from KUIU. I've owned the Posieden and Koldo from Kryptek. I currently own the First Lite Stormtight and Sitka Dewpoint and Coldfront. Everyone of these jackets has been on at least one extreme mountain hunt. Everyone of these has seen pouring rain. Some have worked better than others at keeping me dry and some have worked better than others in the breathability department. Technical aspects aside, my favorite of the bunch for keeping me dry AND breathing is the Sitka Dewpoint. Not to say the others don't work, in fact the FL Stormtight is a close second and Chugach a close third. But what do I know since I don't know the "technical aspects" of each jacket...

Technical number are for couch potatoes anyway, I prefer in the field testing myself.

Kotaman

WKR
Asking that here is a bit of a loaded question as you'll hear more negative about KU. I have some of both plus a few First Lite pieces. I tend to mix and match to the hunt and weather. For rain gear however, IMO, there are far better choices than Gore Tex (Gore owns Sitka) as the newer materials breath way better. Gore Tex membrane is a 1970's technology that has been surpassed.

What is "misleading" is that in the "real world" the newer materials don't "breath way better." And based on in the field tests, the '70's technology has NOT necessarily been surpassed. Sorry, but to me, that is misleading information.

High Country...I just picked up the Blizzard jacket to try myself this fall! I've always been a fan of the Incinerator in the whitetail line, so I'm sure I will love the Blizzard. Can't wait to try it.