Sitka or Kuiu??? - Your input on the better system

dotman

WKR
I think you have gotten some good info above but also wanted add a few things. If you are tall I think KUIU is a definite better fit. I am 6'2" 195 and their stuff fits perfectly....no short sleeves. Not to mention the packability ..but also it depends on what layering you are looking for? Base layer mid layer? rain gear?

your only issue right now would be availability for KUIU. I was actually at their headquarters yesterday and depending on your size they have a lot of items still on back order...though coming in with in 1 week to 5 weeks depending on the piece.

Also If you are looking for a pack their icon pro series are great.

If you are getting a steal of a price on sitka and need it now go with that...or maybe get a combo.

Good Luck this upcoming season.

Haha, this made me chuckle, FYI... He works for Kifaru :)

Like 5mile said, I'm not a one brand guy so I have had items from them all. Currently I just use Kryptek and FL, why isn't FL on the list anyway?

Kotaman

WKR
There's a bit of misinformation in this post. Today's "goretex" is NOT the same technology from the '70s. The new stuff is lightweight, breathable and very comparable to the other makers rain proof garmets. I used the Sitka (Goretex) Dewpoint Jacket for a 17 day Yukon Stone Sheep hunt a week ago, and it performed beyond my expectations. The jacket is SUPER light, breathes and completely water proof after two full days in the rain and several intermitent showers. Not only that it dries VERY quickly. So, to say that this is the same technology that was around in the '70's is absurd. I don't know all the technical specs of the new Gore stuff, but hard field use tells me it works.

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
Asking that here is a bit of a loaded question as you'll hear more negative about KU. I have some of both plus a few First Lite pieces. I tend to mix and match to the hunt and weather. For rain gear however, IMO, there are far better choices than Gore Tex (Gore owns Sitka) as the newer materials breath way better. Gore Tex membrane is a 1970's technology that has been surpassed.

Sorry I forgot the misinformation quote on the post above...

So to begin, I wouldn't even consider Sitka unless you were getting a discount. That being said they make some good pieces, usually heavier, but are cut really short in the top so if you are over 6' don't bother with anything other than their pants. That being said I do like the Mountain Pants and plan on including them in my system this year, which besides those and a Kuiu Pelaton is completely First Lite. The knee pads in the mountain pant are too hard of foam though so I don't plan on using them and if I do may switch them out for football knee pads which are generally a softer foam.

Like I said before, my system is almost entirely First Lite. This is primarily due to the consistent sizing and long cut that actually fits me (6'5" 33" inseam, therefore long torso). First Lite makes a very nice complete system, but wish they offered a synthetic base layer. While FL is more available than Kuiu and you can find almost every piece at some retailer somewhere; it is hard to find everything you want at a single retailer. Good luck finding Kanab 2.0s in Fusion (1shot has them in some sizes) and since FL doesn't offer backorder then you are going to have to luck into some.

Kuiu is the most frustrating yet best deal of the bunch. They offer a quality lightweight system but their inconsistent sizing and lack of availability is frustrating. If you are looking for the best quality for the money then this is the way to go. In order to even consider Sitka you need to be getting over 30% off.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a bit of misinformation in this post. Today's "goretex" is NOT the same technology from the '70s. The new stuff is lightweight, breathable and very comparable to the other makers rain proof garmets. I used the Sitka (Goretex) Dewpoint Jacket for a 17 day Yukon Stone Sheep hunt a week ago, and it performed beyond my expectations. The jacket is SUPER light, breathes and completely water proof after two full days in the rain and several intermitent showers. Not only that it dries VERY quickly. So, to say that this is the same technology that was around in the '70's is absurd. I don't know all the technical specs of the new Gore stuff, but hard field use tells me it works.
I love my Dewpoint set. It amazes how it can perform that well and be that light.

As for Sitka in general.... Sitka is owned by Gore. Gore is a massive R&D company. Sitka benefits from this. When an item is released it flat out works. The difficulty some have with Sitka is matching the right gear to the right task. If you do that, Sitka is top tier. If a guy is patient one can usually find a sale, and with how long the stuff lasts the dollar argument goes away, at least for me.

I like First Lite, KUIU makes some good pieces, but nothing wrong with Sitka, especially if a guy can get some gear at a discount. Most of us are better off mixing a little of this and little that to build our kits.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw my opinion in here as well. I agree if you can get a discount Sitka is the way to go. I've had their stuff for years and it continues to perform well under all conditions. I think High Country hit the nail on the head when they mentioned matching the right gear to the task. I always hated the comparisons of Sitka's elevated gear (specifically the rain gear) in comparison to KUIU or others. That gear serves a different purposes than hiking in the mountains or bush whacking. I have the dewpoint set as well and it is amazing. All the other pieces from them continue to perform well and take a beating through the year and look great when I put them away after the long season. I also own some First Lite and really enjoy their merino clothes. I personally think Sitka is the way to go since there are so many options and the years of research and development behind each piece is amazing. They are not trying to pump out new product lines annually, but instead making pieces that flat out perform!

I love my Dewpoint set. It amazes how it can perform that well and be that light.

As for Sitka in general.... Sitka is owned by Gore. Gore is a massive R&D company. Sitka benefits from this. When an item is released it flat out works. The difficulty some have with Sitka is matching the right gear to the right task. If you do that, Sitka is top tier. If a guy is patient one can usually find a sale, and with how long the stuff lasts the dollar argument goes away, at least for me.

I like First Lite, KUIU makes some good pieces, but nothing wrong with Sitka, especially if a guy can get some gear at a discount. Most of us are better off mixing a little of this and little that to build our kits.

Agreed and it is just one piece where Sitka is lighter than Kuiu. I use both (depending on the hunt) but find the Sitka Gear to be more versatile with features that suit me better. I think these guys provide a very fair and impartial review of the two lines:

http://teamkendrickoutdoors.blogspot.com/2012/03/kuiu-vs-sitka-comparison-introduction.html

Sometimes Wade Nelson is too honest for some:

http://hardcoreoutdoor.com/new-gear-alert-kuiu-ultra-nx-rain-jacket-and-pants/

I use both. But I never have paid retail for Sitka and it is always available somewhere because so many retailers stock it.

TEmbry

WKR
Both are great. I prefer Kuiu but like items from both lines. Kuiu is more frustrating to purchase from (especially those who wait until July or later to order their fall gear).

After I get a set of rain gear and a new puffy (likely the Kuiu kenai) I'll be done buying gear for a while. Always upgrading to the newest clothing does nothing for me.

Hi Joe,

I own both Sitka (Ascent pants, Traverse Zip T, and Clouburst Lite, an other "necessities") and the KUIU (Superdown vest, guide pants and jacket, alpine jacket, and other stuff). Haven't hunted in the KUIU yet, but I did very much like the Sitka stuff. I think KUIU has a superior insulation/down product based purely on materials and warmth/weight specs. Sitka you can find on sale, and that's nice. I don't think you'll find a better value anywhere than KUIU's guide jacket/pants. Like others, I buy value. I had a spreadsheet on Google docs that I just foolishly deleted, but did a MSRP price comparison between Sitka and KUIU, and it was about a wash for a system.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv used a good bit of both. And it's a hard choice. A choice I couldn't make, so I use a little of both. But if you told me I could only have 1, it would be sitka.

Kuiu is a little lighter, sitka usually has some neat features. Both have been very high quality IMO. Both companies continue pushing the boundaries on clothing. People can whine about availability either way, there's been times where pieces from each company have been tough to come by. Fact of the matter though is if you plan ahead, and don't count on preorders and ship dates you will live. I got all my pieces by just buying when they were in stock.

Tough choice. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider

Kotaman, are saying that the GoreTex laminate is not the same PTFE based permeable membrane they invented in the 70's? The face and backing fabrics have changed radically. Absolutely agree with you there and it does create better performance than years past. However, the GoreTex laminate is the same. Have you looked at the breathability numbers in some of the comparison study's? I like the Sitka pieces I own, but it is not the most breathable laminate on the market.

Kotaman

WKR
Kotaman, are saying that the GoreTex laminate is not the same PTFE based permeable membrane they invented in the 70's? The face and backing fabrics have changed radically. Absolutely agree with you there and it does create better performance than years past. However, the GoreTex laminate is the same. Have you looked at the breathability numbers in some of the comparison study's? I like the Sitka pieces I own, but it is not the most breathable laminate on the market.

Like I said, from a technical standpoint, I don't know what the numbers will say, but after field testing KUIU Chugach, First Lite Stormtight and both sets of Kryptek rain gear, the Sitka Dewpoint will hold its own. And speaking of breathability of the jacket itself, the Sitka has the best venting of any of them, so if the laminate membrane does not breathe, the jacket does.

Again, I'm only speaking of field use and I've extensively used all of the above in the field in adverse conditions in the mountains and the Dewpoint is my favorite of the bunch. Take that for what it is worth, just real life use without all the science and technical information.

Here's another great "real world" test of the rain gear whereby the "70's Technology" comes out on top!

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-...let-it-rain-light-weight-rain-jacket-shootout

By the way, these results match my field tests almost perfectly.

If you look at these results, and compare to the KUIU NX which is now extremely light, and the Teton (which is 3 layer and extremely light) I wonder how things would stack up. Honest question... I (perhaps stupidly) just bought the KUIU Teton 3 layer rain jacket for my country muley hunt in a week. I am stressing to know if that will keep me dry, or should i have bought the 6-8 more ounces.

airmanharv08

Lil-Rokslider
As a vast majority here have 2 or 3 different items from various companies, I too have had my closet full of Sitka gear and I thought it was great gear! Wanted to try something different and was intrigued by the Vias and Verde patterns that I sold everything but my StormLite Jacket and switched to Kuiu for outer wear and a few base layers. I personally think they're cut for me was excellent, again it's something were you have to try it out. I also have FL as my base layers, as their merino seemed to be more comfortable and fitted very excellent. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the mentioned companies.

warrior80

WKR
As others have said, you can't really go wrong with either. I have some of both. I have to say I have really liked my Kuiu Peloton 130 shirt that I've been wearing mule deer hunting. It is very comfortable and dries really quickly. As to the previous post with the rain gear question, I think you will be fine, depending on where you are hunting. It doesn't typically rain much here in Utah, so to me it makes sense to have a lightweight set that you can throw on when the occasionally thunderstorm comes in. I picked up the Kryptek Poseidon rain gear because it can be found for a great deal and it is very light and packs down small. I would think that the Kuiu Teton would be at least as good. I couldn't justify spending 3-4 times as much for rain gear that I will only use occasionally. If you're basically living in your rain gear, then that's a different question.

Hi Joe,

I own both Sitka (Ascent pants, Traverse Zip T, and Clouburst Lite, an other "necessities") and the KUIU (Superdown vest, guide pants and jacket, alpine jacket, and other stuff). Haven't hunted in the KUIU yet, but I did very much like the Sitka stuff. I think KUIU has a superior insulation/down product based purely on materials and warmth/weight specs. Sitka you can find on sale, and that's nice. I don't think you'll find a better value anywhere than KUIU's guide jacket/pants. Like others, I buy value. I had a spreadsheet on Google docs that I just foolishly deleted, but did a MSRP price comparison between Sitka and KUIU, and it was about a wash for a system.

Boy are you in for a surprise. The Kuiu down gear is not warmer than the Sitka Kelvin...not even close. The Kelvin is a toaster over, the Kuiu left me shivering while still hunting.

Here's another great "real world" test of the rain gear whereby the "70's Technology" comes out on top!

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-...let-it-rain-light-weight-rain-jacket-shootout

By the way, these results match my field tests almost perfectly.

Did they actually test for breath ability or just toss in a score based off MFG claims?

I've seen a lot of actual lab tests... None of Goretex's lines beat: toray's Nx, omnidry, cocona's 37.5, and a couple others. With that said your still going to sweat, but all of them will keep you dry.

Goretex's isn't the best WPB by the numbers. But they where the best at eliminating competition in the market place for years... But that's another subject.

I don't think one line Sitka, kuiu or firstlite is really better then the other. Each company has a different "fit". What we all tend to judge by is actually the "fit". They all have great technology, from WPB laminates, to outer fabrics. But each person has a different shape, so fit is a relative perspective.

As far as the OP. Rock what ever is the best deal you can get !!!in the long run none of it will last forever and you will eventually replace it anyway. As far as Kuiu you can call and see what they have in stock.

I recently read a post by REI that basically stated anything over 10,000 waterproofness in a shell is useless because the amount of PSI it would take to penetrate it. "you could fill it with water to a height of 10,000 mm (32.8 feet) before water would begin to leak through" The REI buyers made the claim that if a garment of a 10,000 leaks, it is due to craftsmanship, not because the 10,000 rating nor the deep penetrating rain. I found that interesting.

If you look at these results, and compare to the KUIU NX which is now extremely light, and the Teton (which is 3 layer and extremely light) I wonder how things would stack up. Honest question... I (perhaps stupidly) just bought the KUIU Teton 3 layer rain jacket for my country muley hunt in a week. I am stressing to know if that will keep me dry, or should i have bought the 6-8 more ounces.

No reason it shouldn't keep you dry, it's critically seam sealed. It's very similar technology to Krypteks rain gear and most Outdoor retailers Branded WPB.