Sitka, Kuiu, or another brand

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking into getting lighter and warmer clothes for hunting. Sitka and Kuiu are the brands I see most around my area. It's it just a preference? I like the Kuiu, but man is some expensive stuff. I would be looking into gear rated to 32 degrees. I think that would be plenty as I would have a fleece thermal or another medium type of thermal under. I have stuff that works is just bulky, big. Be nice to be warm with lighter clothes and not look like a giant camo marshmallow. My brother has Kuiu stuff and seems nice and he recommended what he had. I'll be looking for pants and jacket. It doesn't have to be hooded. Suggestions?

LightFoot

WKR
I’ve used Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, Badlands, and Kings. All good. The other brands are great, too.

If I were putting together a system and didn’t mind mixing brands…

1. Sitka Jetstream
2. First Lite Merino pants
3. First Lite Chamberlain (for super cold) or Kuiu SuperDown (for regular cold)
4. Sitka Merino layers (the new ones)
5. Kings rain gear

>>>——JAKE——>

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ve used a little bit of everything, I wasn’t fond of the fit on Kuiu. I must fall right in between their sizes.

Jacket - hard to go wrong with a jetstream but I also really like my First Lite Catalyst, whitetail version for the removable hood

Pants - I haven’t found any that I like better than the first lite corrugate guide foundry’s, side zips are awesome and they have removable knee pads

Down - kings down transition, awesome jacket

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu Kutana pants are good durable pants.
Attack pants are decent as well. If you are looking for 32 degree clothing... Add kuiu merino base layers long johns and ls. I use the FL sawtooth hybrid mid. Kuiu superdown pro jacket is real good for glassing. My 2c.

Last edited:

pirogue

WKR
The first thing you need to know about merino wool is that it is not all equal, even though it says merino. You’ve missed some good sales in the last month or two, but maybe some still to come before next season. For base layers, that you don’t need camo, Icebreaker makes excellent merino wool products. I’ve got several pieces of theirs and a lot of Kuiu. Kuiu has quite a few different pieces of base type layers and now do a better job of labeling the fabric and the weight. Several pieces from thier earlier years are unmarked, and unless you were a member of the ILGWU, you didn’t know what you were holding. For a warmer jacket, I love my my Sitka Fanatic jacket.

Sitka and Kuiu for me, do have an old Chama from FL I love, new fl stuff I’m not a fan personally. I mix Sitka and Kuiu along with outdoor research, and other great outdoor brands. Save money by buying sales and mixing in the decent outdoor brands for base layers etc.

Honyock

WKR
Sitka and Kuiu for me as well. My general kit: Kuiu zip off bottoms, Kuiu Attack pants, Sitka core lightweight hoody or Kuiu 120 Ultra Merino, Sitka core midweight or Kuiu Peleton 200 and Sitka Jetstream. Add or subtract depending on the weather. Watch the classifieds at the bottom of the forum page and save some money. Lots of new or like new stuff being sold. See what you like and sell what you don't.

I forgot to add that I love my sitka timberline pants with the mountain pants being second. I really like the comfort fit and knee pads. It would take a lot for me to go away from them.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am looking into getting lighter and warmer clothes for hunting. Sitka and Kuiu are the brands I see most around my area. It's it just a preference? I like the Kuiu, but man is some expensive stuff. I would be looking into gear rated to 32 degrees. I think that would be plenty as I would have a fleece thermal or another medium type of thermal under. I have stuff that works is just bulky, big. Be nice to be warm with lighter clothes and not look like a giant camo marshmallow. My brother has Kuiu stuff and seems nice and he recommended what he had. I'll be looking for pants and jacket. It doesn't have to be hooded. Suggestions?
Consider Forloh
100% sourced and made in America

What type of hunting are you looking to do? This makes a decent impact on the advice to be given, let me explain:

Whitetail deer hunting is broken down into bow or rifle, mainly box blind or treestand, wet area or more dry area….

Western hunting more spot and stalk, bow or rifle,

I consider alaska hunting different and a whole different animal from a wetness stand point.

All of those inflection points change any advice given.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
FL corrugate foundry pants and Jetstream jacket. Everything else under appropriately.

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the advice. Right now I'm looking for hunting rifle and not really being mobile. Something 32-45 degree area is probably fine. I really just want to wear pants and a jacket with a layer underneath if needed. I'm leaning towards Sitka Ambiant Jacket and Timberline pants right now.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Appreciate the advice. Right now I'm looking for hunting rifle and not really being mobile. Something 32-45 degree area is probably fine. I really just want to wear pants and a jacket with a layer underneath if needed. I'm leaning towards Sitka Ambiant Jacket right now. Pants not really sure.
Sounds like it’s for hunting back east? Daily temperatures out west will typically swing wider than that.

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Not just east. This will be used wherever I go. I am saying that's the temperature bottom range. For an outer layer. I will still have a base layer under that if needed. I have some a couple good pairs of fleece base layers/mid to heavy weight. I am not really in that cold cold weather but if it gets that cold I'll still be ok. I really want the guide pants by Kuiu but they don't have my size. I probably could get away with the attack pants and wear my layer underneath and be ok when it's in the 30s.

mainbeam pursuit2

Lil-Rokslider
I have and use Sitka, first lite and Kuiu. While my preference is Kuiu, they all have good stuff. Get what fits the most comfortably. Kuiu has some good sales, that’s the time to buy it.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I'm mostly a Kuiu guy, just because I like the fit. It doesn't drown me but it's also not skin tight. Fits my little chicken legs well.

Though I buy what ever is on sale at the time. I own a little bit of everything.

stump06

WKR
If you don't absolutely have to have it right now, buy all that gear on sale/used. Camofire has sitka pretty often for 30% off or so. I see Kings on there as well. Kuiu will run sales often and I will usually pick up a piece or 2. Facebook has some good buy/sell pages, just beware or scammers (I always ask for more pics and if they get pushy about selling, back away).
I have a mixed assortment of kuiu and sitka and like things about both. I will say this, kuiu does not have anything that can touch sitka's cold weather stuff. As for hotter weather, I am usually wearing Kuiu.

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Went to a local store and tried on some things and seen some of inventory. I quickly was impressed with the Fanatic Hoody and the Traverse hoodie. I think those would be great options. Fanatic Hoodie was pretty nice especially some of the features it had. They only had the stratus pants but I think that would be to heavy and walking to stands I'd probably be over heated.

Fanatic hoodie layered under the Ambiant Jacket could work I think. I'm not sure what the degree ratings but I believe this would be a great option.

Traverse hoodie is basically what I was looking for. I like the face mask built in and it feels identical to the ambient jacket. So this has the slight advantage. I can put my layer under this and I think I would be fine hunting.