Sitka or Kuiu??? - Your input on the better system

armyjoe

Super Moderator
So I'm looking to probably swap out some Kryptek and pick up one of these system to give a whirl. I want some input from guys that have maybe used both or if you use one system why you like it and what isn't the greatest about it.

I'm leaning towards Sitka but Kuiu makes good clothes as well.

If this turns into a Kuiu bashing thread it will be deleted. :)

Thanks for your input.

Joe

jmez

WKR
IMO Sitka doesn't offer much, if any, benefit over other brands to justify the much higher prices.

7mag.

WKR
I have some of Sitka, Kuiu and Kryptek. In my opinion, Kuiu is the best. While I don't care for the business itself, their clothing is tough to beat. I also really like First Lite. I don't see myself buying Sitka or Kryptek again.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Started with Sitka many years ago when they first came out, still have pair of pants that still function and the original kelvin. Nothing bad to say about them and from experience the gear will last longer than you want it. Then jumped into kuiu when it came out..have attacks, guide pants, Yukon and guide jackets, waterproof down, gloves and gaiters, along with some merino. Attacks very comfortable you can't go wrong with these. Live in the guides when it gets cold, they are warm and shed water very well. Love the leg zips on both. Both of the pants are great. Both jackets do very well and I tend to take the Yukon with the super down more than just the guide come oct as it rains a lot come October and when snowing the guide with super down come out. No complaints with any of this gear as well. The new waterproof gloves from last year are waterproof and very durable, just not as warm as I would like come November. The gaiters shed water very well and stay up very well. Durability here is the only issue in the jungles where I hunt, but that has not kept me from buying a third set as things get torn and frayed when you abuse them. The merino is good I just like the feel of first lite better. It is tough to beat the kuiu lineup.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
IMO Sitka doesn't offer much, if any, benefit over other brands to justify the much higher prices.

I guess I should have put it in the first statement.... So I am getting an absurd discount on Sitka so price point isn't an issue

jmez

WKR
Then I'd say flip a coin. Couple complaints I'd have with sitka, doesn't fit me well in shoulders. The integrated belt on the mountain pants is a horrible idea and makes them not worth owning.

NEhunter

WKR
The integrated belt on the mountain pants is a horrible idea and makes them not worth owning.
Hmm, that's one thing I like about mine. Although the attacks are nice, my attacks get passed up most all the time for my mountain pants. Almost can't justify them sitting around and may be in the classifieds soon. Really like most everything I own from Sitka.

Jjamesdean

Lil-Rokslider
I have some Sitka gear and it is very comfortable and seems well made.. I doubt you'll go wrong with either though :)

I own all 3 and at least 60 pieces of Sitka. I prefer Sitka and if you get a discount well...at least there's no back order issue. Lotsa guys waiting since winter for their Kuiu order.

I have both sitka stormfront and kuiu chugach nx gear. I much prefer the sitka over the kuiu, but the stormfront jacket is too short in the torso which is the only reason i have that chugach jacket. The chugach jacket has THE WORST zipper on any piece of clothing I've ever used in my life. not sure if its just me or is a common problem, but it takes 20 tries to zip that thing up.

only downside to sitka to me is torso length in the jacket. other than that, they are money.

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
Joe, I think when it comes to these two companies it's more about which fits you better. Imo, they both make the very best hunting clothing.

Trial153

WKR
If I had to choose just one company to get me through my entire hunting season it would be Sitka......

davescarp

WKR
Honestly, i've had a few pieces of kuiu and a bunch of sitka. take availability out of the equation (which is tough) both make high quality garments. if you are getting discounted sitka i don't see what kuiu has to offer, unless for some reason their cut doesn't work for you (I'm short so kuiu pants are all ridiculously long for me).

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
What is the primary use of these new pieces? That might make a difference. Sitka got a bum wrap when guys bought their original stuff (perfect for active hunting) and tried to sit all day in November in North Dakota. I've got a lot of Sitka and have gotten pretty good and building my "system" for the hunt I am going on. It is so nice to be comfortable in all conditions in the field.

Kotaman

WKR
I've used all three systems you mention and prefer Sitka. From availability to the WHOLE system...I like Sitka.

cgippe

Lil-Rokslider
I think you have gotten some good info above but also wanted add a few things. If you are tall I think KUIU is a definite better fit. I am 6'2" 195 and their stuff fits perfectly....no short sleeves. Not to mention the packability ..but also it depends on what layering you are looking for? Base layer mid layer? rain gear?

your only issue right now would be availability for KUIU. I was actually at their headquarters yesterday and depending on your size they have a lot of items still on back order...though coming in with in 1 week to 5 weeks depending on the piece.

Also If you are looking for a pack their icon pro series are great.

If you are getting a steal of a price on sitka and need it now go with that...or maybe get a combo.

Good Luck this upcoming season.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
Asking that here is a bit of a loaded question as you'll hear more negative about KU. I have some of both plus a few First Lite pieces. I tend to mix and match to the hunt and weather. For rain gear however, IMO, there are far better choices than Gore Tex (Gore owns Sitka) as the newer materials breath way better. Gore Tex membrane is a 1970's technology that has been surpassed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If this turns into a Kuiu bashing thread it will be deleted. :)

What if it turns into a Sitka bashing thread?;)

I'm sure they both make fine clothing, but I'm not really a "system" kind of guy. I wear and use what I like regardless of who makes it or what pattern it is. I'm more of a "quality to price" kind of guy. So I'd go with whatever you can find that's good quality and doesn't require a second mortgage to purchase. I actually like what I've seen from both companies, but since neither really make a true Tall I just don't have any of either.....except some KUIU merino base layers, but still prefer FL over those.