Sitka Ambient active insulation

2531usmc

WKR
I took my Ambient Hoody to Alaska fishing the last two weeks. It was two solid weeks of chilly, damp, drizzle and rain. Highs in the 50s and lows in the 40s.

I found the hoody to be almost perfect; light, warm for the weight, very comfortable, and just enough wind and rain protection while still being breathable. It was easy to layer under and quickly became my favorite insulator.

But I did notice quite a few tiny loose threads/pulls on the face materiel. I would suspect you would have to be very careful snagging the hoody on branches or brush. if you tried to bust brush in it, it might end badly.

I have not used the new Ambient Hoody, but I did use the Kelvin active hoody. I was very impressed with its warmth and breathability, but wanted long sleeves.

My question is why would anyone use a traditional fleece anymore if this performs so well across such a wide range of conditions. I get cost is definitely a factor, but cost aside. The kelvin active hoody dried much faster than my fleece and definitely breathed better.

junior

WKR
As Kelvin active jacket seems to be fading out and on sale everywhere- any reason to not jump on those sales? Are either ambient piece head and shoulders above the KAJ?

The hood issue does bother me but I could be talked into spoiling myself on a new stocking hat or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D S 319

WKR
I like my KAJ, it dries quickly and keeps me warm, haven’t touched my ambient hoody yet as I have not been home to get it. I’ll have both none the less.

As Kelvin active jacket seems to be fading out and on sale everywhere- any reason to not jump on those sales? Are either ambient piece head and shoulders above the KAJ?

The hood issue does bother me but I could be talked into spoiling myself on a new stocking hat or two

The Kelvin active jacket has a inside liner. The Kelvin active hoody and new Ambient line do not have the inner liner so the insulation is direct making the breathability superior. Only reason I wouldn’t buy active jacket but would buy active hoody.

I have not used the new Ambient Hoody, but I did use the Kelvin active hoody. I was very impressed with its warmth and breathability, but wanted long sleeves.

My question is why would anyone use a traditional fleece anymore if this performs so well across such a wide range of conditions. I get cost is definitely a factor, but cost aside. The kelvin active hoody dried much faster than my fleece and definitely breathed better.
I had the KAJ a couple years back and it seemed like a cool piece. The issue I had was its durability was pretty "meh". Low denier face fabric doesn't seem to hold up well when bashing through brush as is required often where I hunt. With all the different "techy" pieces I've owned, I still keep my FL Klamath Hoody in my pack. To me, it's close to the warmth of the KA pieces, dries just as fast and is worlds apart in terms of durability. As much as I would love to try this new piece, I'm afraid I'd just end up selling it again and end up with my tried and true grid fleece. In terms of grid fleeces, my Klamath is MUCH warmer than my HW Hoody as strange as that sounds.

Kostrize

WKR
^ Agree with this. While I’m sure the Ambient has great properties, I can’t accept that a 20D face fabric is going to be more durable than a Power Grid style fleece like the Core Heavyweight or Patagonia R1. I’ve put them through a fair amount of brush busting and they’ve done very well. I’ve heard Barklow claim that the Ambient has durability similar to a soft shell type outerwear piece and I’d be amazed if that’s the case. I got one on the way though, I’ll find out

^ Agree with this. While I’m sure the Ambient has great properties, I can’t accept that a 20D face fabric is going to be more durable than a Power Grid style fleece like the Core Heavyweight or Patagonia R1. I’ve put them through a fair amount of brush busting and they’ve done very well. I’ve heard Barklow claim that the Ambient has durability similar to a soft shell type outerwear piece and I’d be amazed if that’s the case. I got one on the way though, I’ll find out

I would like to know what you think of it and what it’s durability might be. I have had some jackets with similar denier exteriors and they don’t hold a candle to a grid fleece IMO. I have an OR Ascendent hoody which is probably the closest thing to this new hoody out there right now and it has a 20D outer face. Not what I would consider durable in the least. Love it to death though. That’s why I only wear it around town now.

I had the KAJ a couple years back and it seemed like a cool piece. The issue I had was its durability was pretty "meh". Low denier face fabric doesn't seem to hold up well when bashing through brush as is required often where I hunt. With all the different "techy" pieces I've owned, I still keep my FL Klamath Hoody in my pack. To me, it's close to the warmth of the KA pieces, dries just as fast and is worlds apart in terms of durability. As much as I would love to try this new piece, I'm afraid I'd just end up selling it again and end up with my tried and true grid fleece. In terms of grid fleeces, my Klamath is MUCH warmer than my HW Hoody as strange as that sounds.
Funny you say this, I still haven't pulled trigger on the Ambient and leave in 7 days on first hunt. I have the SG grid fleece in the pack. Its almost identical fabric/thickness as the Klamath (I have had both). I'm with you I think the durability of grid fleece layer is better. If I need to cut wind I will through my rain jacket over it.

So does the ambient jacket breath better and is more warm than the kelvin active hoody? Right now I can find the Kelvin active hoody for $120 less than the ambient. Is the ambient worth the extra money?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So does the ambient jacket breath better and is more warm than the kelvin active hoody? Right now I can find the Kelvin active hoody for $120 less than the ambient. Is the ambient worth the extra money?
That would depend on how much you value the performance gains, no one call really tell you if the $120 is worth it for you. The ambient is going to breath a bit better according to sitka (it breaths really, really well) and is the next generation of their active insulation approach. Both have 20D shells. The K active jacket is 80g of insulation, while the ambient is 100g of evolve. I'm not sure how the insulation products stack up gram for gram.

If you're wanting something to layer extra warmth with, get the KAJ for cheaper.

If you want something to replace mid-layer grid fleece, that's part insualtion, part windshirt, that you wear over a base layer and do not want to fuss with taking on/off a lot, I think the ambient hoody is a better choice.

That would depend on how much you value the performance gains, no one call really tell you if the $120 is worth it for you. The ambient is going to breath a bit better according to sitka (it breaths really, really well) and is the next generation of their active insulation approach. Both have 20D shells. The K active jacket is 80g of insulation, while the ambient is 100g of evolve. I'm not sure how the insulation products stack up gram for gram.

If you're wanting something to layer extra warmth with, get the KAJ for cheaper.

If you want something to replace mid-layer grid fleece, that's part insualtion, part windshirt, that you wear over a base layer and do not want to fuss with taking on/off a lot, I think the ambient hoody is a better choice.
Thanks for the reply! I think I would appreciate the slight performance gains. I currently have the Sitka Fanatic hoody for mid layer but for my western hunt, I thought I would replace the fanatic hoody for something warmer that breathes much better.

The fanatic is much more susceptible to wind compared to the ambient. I found the wind resistance on the ambient hoody and jacket (very similar wind resistance) to be around 10-12mph and it blocks it pretty well.

But the fanatic you get superior noise level.

Nothing is perfect…but the ambient is a great mid layer

IMO the ambient is in between a grid fleece and light puffy in terms of warmth. Breathes super well.

i never loved my kelvin active jacket but for whatever reason i really like my ambient.