Silencer Central Experience Needed

MThuntr

WKR
I'm starting to regret my choice of store for SC because it took a month to get my stuff submitted but too late.

11/27/22 Purchase online Cyber week
11/28/22 initial ATF account created and picture submitted
12/6/22 fingerprint paperwork received
12/13/22 ATF paperwork signed...SC system error
12/13/22 SC on hold for 25 minutes for 30 second call. Their IT fixed the issue later that day
12/28/22 ATF paperwork phone call completed--3 suppressors apparently required 3 different conference calls but my email stacked them so I missed that part. Gal on phone was super awesome about helping me out with the mix up. I will say she was so helpful and made things easy for me. Otherwise I would have had to wait 2 more weeks for an appointment (dodge that bullet because the ATF system was down a couple days ago)

Expected wait TBD

I was at Scheels after Christmas and a guy was buying a suppressor. All of this process occurred in 15 minutes. I think I'll use a different company next time. I want a dedicated suppressor for a small centerfire and 6.5s and I think some deals are to be had out there.

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
SC is slower. You don’t like them. Certainly share that experience so people know. But someone sharing a good experience (I’ve had the same generally good experience but also some low points) doesn’t call into question or counter what you’ve seen. It’s just another data point.

Last edited by a moderator:
As has been pointed out numerous times, if you want one of the SC cans (Banish line) or live in a place where you are hours away from a good Class 3 dealer, then SC is worth the extra wait time that comes with their process. They also include the NFA trust for free with your purchase. Silencer Shop charges $25 for their Single Shot Trust. For some that $25 savings is worth the extra wait.

Another advantage of Silencer Shop is the ability to do the fingerprints and photo right at their kiosk. But, if you don't have a kiosk within 2-3 hours of you, then that is moot. If the extra 1-2 months wait is worth the convenience of having the suppressor show up at your door, then SC is the way to go.

Both places have their advantages, you just have to figure out what is best for you. The NFA game is not conductive to the "gotta have it now" crowd no matter how you slice it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yes, they have. You're just too clueless to recognize it and obviously a paid fanboy.
Glad to know that you know more about my buying experience than I do. Lol.

Also last time I checked, I’ve paid them quite a bit of money, I wonder when I can expect to get paid by them.

I’m genuinely sorry that you didn’t get your silencer in 90 days and had to wait like the rest of us, I’m also sorry you feel the need to insult people who don’t agree with you.

I hope you find closure and I apologize for exposing you to the horrors of a different opinion.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
As has been pointed out numerous times, if you want one of the SC cans (Banish line) or live in a place where you are hours away from a good Class 3 dealer, then SC is worth the extra wait time that comes with their process. They also include the NFA trust for free with your purchase. Silencer Shop charges $25 for their Single Shot Trust. For some that $25 savings is worth the extra wait.

Another advantage of Silencer Shop is the ability to do the fingerprints and photo right at their kiosk. But, if you don't have a kiosk within 2-3 hours of you, then that is moot. If the extra 1-2 months wait is worth the convenience of having the suppressor show up at your door, then SC is the way to go.

Both places have their advantages, you just have to figure out what is best for you. The NFA game is not conductive to the "gotta have it now" crowd no matter how you slice it.
I have purchased 2 silencers from SC that are not banish products and gotten them for cheaper than or the a e price as any other dealer.

Gynaroo

FNG
I agree with the poster that you decided to insult. I would use Silencer Central again with out any questions asked. Yes it does add time on the front end and back end compared to other services. They don’t provide the golden goose. No one does. Closest Kiosk for me is hours away. If thunderbeast has a store and does all the paperwork it would be faster for me to go there. But I don’t believe that is a service they provide. SC do the same service as other shops. Now if they want to pay me for my using them I’d be happy to take the money. I have yet to receive my Silencer and I would still use them again. I’ve only waited on them for a few weeks (front and back side of the ATF). The ATF granted me 262/264 days of waiting. So a few more days is nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gynaroo

FNG
Dave isn’t wrong about added time.

When I bought my suppressor in Early March 2022 I didn’t certify with the ATF until 4/11. That extra time was back and forth with documents through USPS. Close to just over a month on the front end of certifying with the ATF.

The. Approval came the end of December. First business day after the new year 4473 filled out. Freak snow storm shuts the office down for the whole week. CLEO notice sent 1/12. Received by Sheriff’s office 1/17. Should be cleared to ship 1/24. So now close to five weeks on the back end so far.

Would I use them again. I think so. The front end will be faster the next time. The back end will likely still be the same. I’m in the middle of no where so it would be quite the drive to get to a shop or competitor.

So I keep seeing this “if you live rural” blah, blah, blah…..

So some feel it makes sense to wait additional weeks or in some cases months by using SC instead of driving like say a few hours instead?

Doesn’t make any sense to me.

I live rural and made a purchase last spring through Capitol Armory. They had the can I wanted in stock at a price I was willing to pay and the process took less than a week at most and I had to set everything up from scratch because I had never e-filed before.

So what takes SC seemingly weeks at best or a couple months at worst is just asinine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2/11/2022 purchased at expo with show special of "moving to front of line"
4/1/2022 signed eform
4/13/2022 eform status changes to Submitted
12/27/2022 eform approved
12/27/2022 4473 signed
1/17/2023 order has been prepared
1/20/2022 order shipped
1/21/2033 order received.

Haven’t shot it yet
My first one and they did make it easy.

Bluefish

WKR
My times have been a bit faster than some. Can was in stock, ordered 12/20/22, atf submission 1/13/23. Had I gone to a shop that had a can in stock with a kiosk, that could have reduced those 23 days to a day? Probably, but I didn’t have to leave home and hopefully in 10-11 months or so it will show up at my door.

if the atf wait time was a lot shorter, the extra few weeks of delay would be a bigger deal, but since it’s going to take the better part of a year, a few week delay in nothing.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
What people aren't following or acknowledging is that those delays by SC are resulting in much more than a "day for day" delay. If you follow ATF approvals for cans submitted in Dec and then those submitted 1/13 for example, you'll see that the 3 wk delay really meant more like an additional 3 mos for your approval because the backlog at ATF continued to increase during that time.

Bluefish

WKR
If the atf delays are going up 3 months every 2 weeks, no one will be getting any approvals any time soon. That means if I buy a can today it should take almost 2 years for approval and in another 2 months it will be 3 years. I see no evidence it’s that bad although this new brace ruling may have that effect. When I filed, the person doing the filing said the atf has been Spending more time finishing off paper filings from 21 and once those are done efiles should go faster. Not sure if it’s true, will have to see if times come down again.
I get that your delay was at a time when atf wait times changed dramatically, thus adding a huge delay to your can. I just dont see that is the case now. The longest delay between purchase and submission for me was simply getting an appointment for the actual submission. That alone was a week+. The rest was quick and smooth.

In my experience with SC, the Banish 30 product is great, but the service is soooo... Slow!
There are many steps for SC through the process, and every single one, added a week to a month to the process.
What was to be 7-9 months when I paid in full, took 15.

But to be fair, I ordered mine just before the efile was available, now I'd expect with that one delay eliminated, it should save about a month.

IMO, there is a real lack of 'sense of urgency' on their behalf.
And it's likely due to the fact that, they already had my money.

eoperator

WKR
I have 2 cans on order with sc 1 of them should be approved soon. Dealing with sc has been delightful compared to my first 2 suppressors. Back then I had to make an appointment with county sheriff to sign off before submitting paperwork that took 14 months for approval. My next suppressor will likely be with sc as well, their services make it very easy.

On a side note thanks to all of you impatient guys, "sqeaky wheels get the oil".

If the atf delays are going up 3 months every 2 weeks, no one will be getting any approvals any time soon.
it’s not linear as he kind of alluded to. There seems to be no real rhyme or reason to how the ATF works through the line. But there is some truth to it. Mine was certified 3/7 and approved 10-15. The suppressor wait times thread had march submissions still getting approved into late December. And there were also early march submissions that got approved weeks before mine.
So while each day your form isn’t submitted it doesn’t exactly translate to an extra week, the days are definitely important

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cleaned this thread up. Let’s just let people’s experiences speak for themselves and not contest each other. Please don’t continue to bicker.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
My March 10 submission was approved on 10/31. Based on the other "Suppressor wait times" thread, submissions from April 10 are just being approved now. In other words, a 1 month delay is resulting in an extra 3 mos of ATF time. And that was for submissions back in Mar-Apr. Who knows where it's at now. I'm willing to bet the eForms wait times will be the same as the paper apps soon, if they're not already.
Still think SC's delays don't add up to a significant amount of extra wait time??

I have 2 cans on order with sc 1 of them should be approved soon. Dealing with sc has been delightful compared to my first 2 suppressors. Back then I had to make an appointment with county sheriff to sign off before submitting paperwork that took 14 months for approval. My next suppressor will likely be with sc as well, their services make it very easy.

On a side note thanks to all of you impatient guys, "sqeaky wheels get the oil".

SC had nothing to do with that experience. That was a result of ATF41F which basically said no more CLEO sign off required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tahoe1305

WKR
Fwiw I did a similar non SC purchase recently with Silincershop. It took about 6 weeks total from order, to form 3 approval (shop to shop transfer), to shipped, to come in and pay for the SS kiosk, 2 weeks for SS approval, certified in store and then off to ATF (6 weeks form buy to certified to be clear).

Not defending SC, but unless you are face to face in a local store it adds some time. And is frustrating. I wasn’t happy. But now I wait…..

(Reading through most of the SC complaints….this non SC process was within a few weeks).

Last edited:

Hausser

FNG
I ordered a banish from they in July with zero issues, I took my finger print card from them to police station and had my finger prints done electronically and printed on SC card instead of ink. I am still waiting for my banish and I hope I get notification some time soon. I have ordered at local gun shop as well and that process was easier by far since the local gun shop did everything electronic as well.