Sight that holds zero

nphunter

WKR
I shot a CBE Tek Hybrid for 10 years on 2 bows and finally broke the epoxy on a pin loose, other than that it was always perfect for me. I fixed the pin and now it's on my kids bow, I bought a new CBE Trek Pro and it's been great as well and don't forsee it ever failing me.

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

WKR
if you are doing these tests during one shooting session, after you are already warmed up, and the only changing variable is your tweaking on the sight
I may have accidentally derailed the direction of this thread, but there’s a reason I posted back to back pictures that were shot minutes apart from each other in the same exact position before and after impacting the sight

Not pictured after that, I was able to confirm that if I bent the site back to the right, the group returned back to the original position as in the first picture

kpk

WKR
All I know is that my Spot Hogg Hunter sights have taken a beating over the years, but they always work. I'm hard on stuff, so everything I buy I look for the best durability I can find.

I was changing sights every few months due to stuff breaking or bending until I found spot hogg. I've been using the same hogg it for at least 10 years I bet. It's literally fallen 20 ft outta trees, crawled on, dropped.... everything. Never an issue with the sight. I'm certain it's bomb proof.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
We have a whole sub form located to rifle scope testing, But i don't see a thread archery sight holding zero. I suspect my sight does not hold zero very well. I have been noticing that im chasing groups left and right over time. So I ran a brief test that did confirm my suspicion if I "bend" the sight left to right, i can get a shift. Im talking like 10 lbs of force just to simulate getting bagged around in the woods. Visually looking at my sight ( hha optomiser lite- https://www.hhasports.com/optimizer-lite-x/) it doesn't look to very strong to resist this kind of motion. A quick 7 shot test before and after confirmed what I have been seeing

first picture is the zeroed group
View attachment 750404
2nd picture is with the sight impacted to the (shooters) leftView attachment 750405

Are sights losing zero a know problem?
Are some makes or models more robust?

While I rarely post in the archery section, yes this is a thing with some sights and always has been. I’m not sure what people aren’t understanding about what you wrote, but- yes, you can physically move or push some sights and cause POI shifts.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Not pictured after that, I was able to confirm that if I bent the site back to the right, the group returned back to the original position as in the first picture
Ya, I got that from the start and my first thought was well......."STOP THAT". I'm sure I could bend my SH if I wanted to, but why would I want to? If you think your sight is too fragile then get something else, but I don't intentionally try to bend my bow sights or any other stuff on the bow.

fatlander

WKR
If I had to bet every dollar to my name on a sight sustaining abuse it would be on a spot hogg hunter or grinder. Hoggs are built like tanks. A rigid mount fixed pin spot hogg is the most robust sight you’ll find.

I’ve got an axcel landslyde on one of my bows and an MBG dual trac on another at the moment. I know I could break the axcel with relative ease, and the MBG wouldn’t be that hard either. With that said, they’re still plenty tough enough for what I do. If I was to do something drastic enough to break one in a hunting situation I’d expect some limb/cam damage from that fall as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

WKR
my first thought was well......."STOP THAT".
my goal here was to simulate a real amound of force, something like the sight being in my hand and banging some dead fall. I think we should agree a sight moving with 1 lb of force is not acceptable. a sight moving wiht 100 lbs of forces is likely acceptable.
Im showing/ showing that with about 10lbs of impact i got a movement.
To me that seems like a low enough value it could easily happen on accident which is why I'm asking for recs. Please not I only tested bending my sight causes i was seeing left right shift day to day and wanted to know why. if dropping my bow on the grass form 1 foot was moving my sight around i want to know.

'
How would you advise testing is a sight stays "Zeroed" in field use?
In conclusion im interested now in a fast Eddie bonnie with the triple stack.

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

WKR
While I rarely post in the archery section, yes this is a thing with some sights and always has been. I’m not sure what people aren’t understanding about what you wrote, but- yes, you can physically move or push some sights and cause POI shifts.
archery sights drop test .... haha just kidding. Your rifle scope evals got me thinking about this in the first place. I think we have learned we cant just assume stuff works like we hope it does. Why would archery sights be any different.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
archery sights drop test .... haha just kidding. Your rifle scope evals got me thinking about this in the first place. I think we have learned we cant just assume stuff works like we hope it does. Why would archery sights be any different.

That’s correct sir. The late 90’s we/I figured out that bow sights shift and lose zero from bending/drops/brush. Then around 2002 or 2003 I got big into adjustable sliders and distance shooting, to the point of having two peep sights in the string. Loss of zero was a real issue. Of what’s available that I have seen, the Spot Hogs seem to be the among the most durable, if not the most durable. Have been using a few Fast Eddies a bunch.

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

WKR
Seems the consensuses is that Spot hog is real durrable. RIP my bank.
But if you want to talk about stabilizers that hold zero then that may be a different story…..

ok your gonna have to explain this to me. i get very little to no shift removing my stab or extending it form 12-24"

Lowedown

FNG
I may have accidentally derailed the direction of this thread, but there’s a reason I posted back to back pictures that were shot minutes apart from each other in the same exact position before and after impacting the sight

That's what I understood, and therefore its time to shop for a new sight :) good shooting ;)

In conclusion im interested now in a fast Eddie bonnie with the triple stack.

Boonie and Fast Eddie are different sights.

Personally I'd skip over a Fast Eddie and go to a Tommy or Hog Father if looking for the most durable and robust. I'd also skip the picatinny mounts if that was a consideration.

I don't have personal experience with the Boonie outside of handling them to know how they will hold up.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How would you advise testing is a sight stays "Zeroed" in field use?
Number one......get a good solid Spot Hogg. Number two.....it's pretty easy to test your zero with a bow in the backcountry......just shoot a stump arrow to test it if need be. But I'm still not going to beat my bow or bow equipment intentionally to see if it holds up......except my arrows and BH's.

There's a reason why I use 7-pin SH Hunters. They're tough, and I don't need anything beyond them. Ya, it would be cool to have a slider that I could use to 130 yards and actually have a pin to shoot those distances. But for hunting, I just don't need that. I can still easily shoot out to 90 for practice, and there's never a sight adjustment to make.

Yeah not sure what people aren't understanding about your post. Sight durability and ability to hold zero should be just as big of a deal as a rifle scopes ability to hold zero.

dkime

WKR
Seems the consensuses is that Spot hog is real durrable. RIP my bank.

ok your gonna have to explain this to me. i get very little to no shift removing my stab or extending it form 12-24"

I was being a smartass my guy, sorry about that!