Show your Tikka ten round groups

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Here's a couple. Does the right group look zeroed? Or should I adjust left 0.1?

View attachment 771400

You might be in between clicks, however given both the 20 round sandbag group, and the 8 shot pack group are slightly right, a left .1 mil would be ok. Probably just going to end up slightly left, and that is ok too.

Last edited:
OP
H
If I’m between clicks but groups are trending left/right/up/down I adjust out trending direction in most cases as Form mentioned.

You might be in between clicks, however given both the 20 round sandbag group, and the 8 shot pack group are slightly right, a left .1 mil would be ok. Probably just going to end up slightly left, and that is ok too.

Thanks to both.

I've had a really hard time being consistent after switching my non trigger hand to "control" the butt stock by ok putting the toe in the web between thumb and pointer and pinching it while squeezing a bag or balling up my other few fingers underneath on my bino harness. Sometimes it spot on and feels relaxed, other times I feel like I'm fighting something and getting stringing like in the bottom target. For some reason this is a much harder method for me to get good at in comparison to gripping the foreend or even letting the toe ride a bag without being pinched.

For example , that top left target was the first 8 and then adjusted it only 0.1. those are 1" squares, so in that one I was trending left!

I'll move it back a click to the left, as that's what was working for me over the weekend in the mountains hitting consistently at 800 and also what was "zeroed" off my pack at 100 before moving further out.

OP
H
If you are between clicks you should favor zeroing slightly left because right hand twist barrels drift bullets to the right at distance
Yep, that's what I've done in the past but wasn't sure on this one because my first group was much farther left.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If you are between clicks you should favor zeroing slightly left because right hand twist barrels drift bullets to the right at distance
I would normally advise against factoring in spin drift in a 100 yard zero. A shooters tendency can become more exaggerated more often at most hunting shot ranges than spin drift will ever show.

He could leave it alone and go kill with it, or adjust it 0.1 MIL left and go kill with it. Both will work fine. Personally I’d click it 0.1 MIL left and go verify at range.

OP
H
I would normally advise against factoring in spin drift in a 100 yard zero. A shooters tendency can become more exaggerated more often at most hunting shot ranges than spin drift will ever show.

He could leave it alone and go kill with it, or adjust it 0.1 MIL left and go kill with it. Both will work fine. Personally I’d click it 0.1 MIL left and go verify at range.

I'll be doing one more zero check and hopefully some field position practice before heading out on my hunt Friday.

One question I have on the pinching. The buttstock method that I mentioned above, is is it generally advisable to have a pretty firm grip on the buttstock with your non-shooting hand, or do you want it very light and only supporting the buttstock? I seem to be much more consistent when I'm very relaxed and only supporting it, rather than firmly pinching it and pushing it into my shoulder. The latter seems to be much less "neutral" for me than the former.

West2East

FNG
6.5 cm with 147ELDM Zero check before hunting season.
After seeing the last 10 rd groups posted, I have a long way to go.
This is off a Harris bipod with a "meat on the bone" bag of game bags for a rear rest.
All of my groups are in the 1.2 -1.5MOA range.Screenshot_20241001-070719.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 Creed barrel finally broke in and sped up about 60fps. Also had a .2 LT and .2 UP poi shift over the last 40-50 rounds of seeing the average velocity of a 10-shot group come up a bit each time. After two 10 shotters in a row (with a little time to cool in between) telling me the POI is gonna be high left now, adjust to zero w/ an offset that should allow for nice easy quick drops out to 600 (even 700, but I’m not taking that poke at a critter).

147 ELD-M factory ammo. 2” dot
image_cropper_A307AC8F-B6CC-4276-8BC9-DCBE6BE15B28-59325-0000141C87079BDB.jpeg

Purely psychological, but nice feeling when the last group of the day is the tightest (most are ~1.2MOA for 10 shots) and zeroed well.
Next trip to range to verify zero at distance.

Group during the slow but sure velocity climb until the barrel seemed to stabilize at new POI and more regular aver. fps: 1.5” dot
image_cropper_B46422CC-B10B-48D1-9833-FDBFE4B78AD2-59325-00001415585A1771.jpeg